Personality

Final_Product said:
Well, to an extent making yourself more aware of your normal situations and thinking about them in greater detail than normal might give your some interesting thoughts about your own personality. Obviously they are subject to the faults listed above, but if one lets their guard down and is truly honest with themselves, i still think a person can understand their personality a bit more by just thinking more about the everyday situations they find themselves in.
Agreed - the caution here is to not assume that subjective interpretations of self are necessarily accurate...the same should be said of obljective testing methods as well, though.

If you assume something about yourself, you could be wrong. And being wrong about yourself really sucks. Like for example, I believe that I have the ability to think far more powerfully than other people my age. But, I've had psychotherapists and psychiatrists telling me all my life, and that's why I believe that. But people never believe me, because I'm either always acting like a jackass, or I keep myself secluded.
Now, I know that I have alot of thinking power, but that's not all I think about myself. Up until recently, I thought I was an amazing music coniseur... until I started taking Music Theory A.P. That brought my self esteem down by like a mile. I assume that many of you knows how much it sucks, when youn think that you're so good at the one thing that you've dedicated your life to, only to learn that you know nothing.
I've learned not to judge myself at anything Ido, except when I know that I'm not at my best.

That was where you need to be truly honest. I casually think "im a genius" a couple times a day, but when i really think about it, and am honest with myself...i realise i am not.

Final_Product said:
That was where you need to be truly honest. I casually think "im a genius" a couple times a day, but when i really think about it, and am honest with myself...i realise i am not.

No one, including geniuses, escapes flaws in their personality.

Is there anything worse than someone who thinks they are a genius in every field? But in reality, they have a serious need for approval, attention, or power. I think most managers and bosses seem to under this delusion.

"How can you come to know yourself? Never by thinking, always by doing. Try to do your duty, and you'll know right away what you amount to."-Goethe.

"Personality" tests and the like seem to me to be bullshit. A person is how they act, what they do- and no test is necessary to figure that out.

I bet 90% percent of (extreme) metal listeners are either INFJs or INFPs. These two categories are small parts of the population anyway. I would do my senior thesis on something like this, but I'm in sociology, not psych.

I feel like personality is almost entirely socially constructed, which is why I think it's much more useful to study society than the individual.

MasterOLightning said:
I bet 90% percent of (extreme) metal listeners are either INFJs or INFPs. These two categories are small parts of the population anyway. I would do my senior thesis on something like this, but I'm in sociology, not psych.

I feel like personality is almost entirely socially constructed, which is why I think it's much more useful to study society than the individual.

I'm pretty sure I am one of those categories. My self esteem shot way up when the results stated I am in the same personality company as Einstein, Socrates, and Jung himself. How rare are these personality traits?

Cynical said:
"How can you come to know yourself? Never by thinking, always by doing. Try to do your duty, and you'll know right away what you amount to."-Goethe.

"Personality" tests and the like seem to me to be bullshit. A person is how they act, what they do- and no test is necessary to figure that out.

Yes. I guess the best way to see one's true self is doing something than sitting there doing nothing and just thinking what you're about.

Sometimes it takes extreme circumstances before the true person comes out. Anyone like Firefly? The writings of Chan Yu (sp?) who said something like: live with a man as friends for 30yrs, share meals and converse openly each day but only when you dangle the man over a volcano will you truly meet him.

Final_Product said:
Sometimes it takes extreme circumstances before the true person comes out. Anyone like Firefly? The writings of Chan Yu (sp?) who said something like: live with a man as friends for 30yrs, share meals and converse openly each day but only when you dangle the man over a volcano will you truly meet him.
i agree with this

MasterOLightning said:

Hm, I did this test, and found I was a INTP--which is pretty dead on. Here's the test for everyone to try. I am interested in the results.
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

1. I do not believe in personality "categories"
2. I am actually not interested in "discovering" what type of personality I might be.
3. I think those tests are largely bullshit with a hint of truth, like Astrology.

Honestly I think there are far more important questions in life.

Kenneth R. said:
2. I am actually not interested in "discovering" what type of personality I might be.
3. I think those tests are largely bullshit with a hint of truth, like Astrology.

I tend to agree with you; however, there must be some truth in these tests. I'd like to know your results--why not, it has no relation upon anything.

I remember doing it long ago in High School, to humor the phys ed. teacher. I was an Extrovert, and can't remember the other details. I would say instead, I am Me, and no one else.

You still fit into one of the 16 categories ..and your reaction now is pretty characteristic of one I'm sure :).

Just take the test, there's no wrong personality.

Kenneth R. said:

ditto

Your Type is
INTP
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
Strength of the preferences %
33 12 50 33

You are:

* moderately expressed introvert
* slightly expressed intuitive personality
* moderately expressed thinking personality
* moderately expressed perceiving personality