Phasing Problems When Layering Slate Kicks

rlcramer

Tone is not in MY fingers
Apr 16, 2008
I currently have an open case with Slate support over this, but I figured I'd post here as well to see if you guys have ever had this issue before. I recently started getting into layering different slate kicks, and whenever I do it, I get all sorts of weird phasing issues. I'm not sure if any of you are interested enough in my issue to do this - but I have posted a midi file, a Kontakt multi (nkm file) and an mp3 in my dropbox - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6879949/slate_issue.zip. If you want to take a listen and let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it .I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, but I have noticed this on other pairs of kicks, aside from this set, so I'm at a loss at the moment. Hopefully it's something stupid, but I've been messing around with lots of different parameters, and so far I haven’t found one to fix this.

The biggest issue seems to be that it's very erratic. It doesn't generate the same phasing issue on every hit, which leads me to believe it might be related to AMG (which I have turned off completely with the same issue...)???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bobby

if the phase issue is not on every hit it could most likely be that they are not lined up properly,, if the two sampled kicks are off just a little bit, you will hear that phase sound your hearing on some kicks more then others.. you can always invert phase one of the tracks which could also help or make it worse,, haha ..

Thanks guys. Yeah it even happens when the room is turned off. And Brady, when you say lined up - do you mean the midi notes or the samples? The samples are actually being triggered by the same midi note, so i don't think that's the issue. But if you mean lining up the samples, I'm thinking that would be a huge deal to try to crack open the multisamples in kontakt and try to align them myself.

Bobby

I've heard it a few times, kinda fucking sucks, it seems that some of the slate kicks are better about it than others. Id be interested if they give you an answer... I only recently got the slate platinum package and have only used it a few times on two different E.P.'s that I recorded, but that was one of the first things that I noticed... Not that it was a big deal, I really dont like most of those kick samples.