Pictures From Galaxy Theatre 2/3... The Rest Coming Soon

Squeak

Photo Mistress
Hey guys! I have scanned all the better photos of Opeth at the Galaxy Theatre... The other shows I will post soon in this section, okay? Anyway, go to www.swedishmetal.net , choose the Interactive Button on the top menu, then choose Picture Upload from the left menu, Then choose Metal Pics from the drop down menu and then Opeth. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to post a direct link from my Mac. Those are the easiest diredtions to them though. I will ask the owner/webmaster if he can give me a direct link tonight okay? Let me know what you think!!!

Nice stuff! Looking forward to seeing the photos from the other shows. What kind of camera/lens did you shoot those with? What kind of film? Were they print-scanned or neg-scanned? (sorry for all the questions, but being a pro music photographer myself, I'm always curious about this sort of stuff)

@ scourge and nergal - Thank you!!! And yes, it WAS a kick-ass show. :headbang:

@ wrthchild - I shot with Canon AV-1 (my AE-1 is in the shop right now). I used two different lenses... a 28-90 and a 35-135. They are print scanned, that is why some of them are brighter (the place I got them developed printed them too lightly). I generally use 400 speed Fuji film. No matter what speed, I ONLY use Fuji, unless it's black and white and then I don't have a choice. lol

Oh yah, forgot to tell you... I have a scanner that will scan from negatives, but I have never figured out how to use it. hehehe Maybe I can take some time soon to learn. I've just WAAAAAAAY too busy. Scanning these pictures took about 3 hours (well, scanning, coverting and posting them). And I have another 40-50 pictures to do, I'm guessing. I just got tired of scanning. Also keep in mind, this is the ONLY show where I got any sort of photo pit or decent lighting. Clubs in california are horrible for the most part (for a photographer and half the time for the people in front).

Squeak: I was lucky, because the two shows that I shot (Toronto and Montreal) were really well-lit, so I was able to shoot both without a flash. Montreal was brighter, but they didn't have a photo pit, so it was an even trade off. I shoot digital now (Olympus E-10 SLR with 35-140 mm AF lens), I also brought along the Leica M2 to both shows but didn't end up using it. The Olympus has a limited ISO range, and I really wanted to use my Ilford 3200 film, but manual focus in the middle of the mosh pit is impossible.

Please let us know when you get the rest of the pics posted - I really like what you've got so far, and am curious to see the rest!

I have a question... For those who saw Opeth on this US tour leg, what kind of clubs did they play? Capacity? Small/big stage? Lights? Good/bad sound? Photo pit/no photo pit? I'm curious. I seem to be one of the VERY few photographers patient enough to deal with no photo pits since we have very few here.

Hey Squeak -

I saw 'em at Jaxx on January 21st and that place was pretty small. It was PACKED. Great show. Not many people taking pictures - just amateurs with disposable cams mostly...

Great pics you posted. They look awfully happy, don't they? I'm so glad for them... if the response they've gotten everywhere is the same that they got in VA, they must be really floating right now... The whole world is finally starting to give them their due recognition as metal GODS...

I think Jaxx holds about 550 people? And thanks for the compliments. They really, really had a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE response at the Galaxy. I could REALLY hear the crowd, all screaming, yelling, singing along, yelling Opeth is God, etc. Mikael was so pleased. He said he's not used to such a response and it humbles him. :)

Originally posted by Squeak
I have a question... For those who saw Opeth on this US tour leg, what kind of clubs did they play? Capacity? Small/big stage? Lights? Good/bad sound? Photo pit/no photo pit? I'm curious. I seem to be one of the VERY few photographers patient enough to deal with no photo pits since we have very few here.

Montreal: medium-sized club, small stage, amazing good lights, no photo pit. The place was beyond packed, so it was lucky that I grabbed a spot in front of the stage before Tapping the Vein played. I was the only photographer there with an actual SLR, although other people were taking pictures with digitals and disposables.

Toronto: large club, big stage, mediocre lights, photo pit. There were too many red lights (which is why I shot mostly black & white) and they weren't that bright, so it's a good thing that there was a photo pit. The place was totally packed, but not nearly as much as Montreal. There were a bunch of people shooting with high-end cameras (at least five of us) so I'm surprised that more photos haven't been posted on here.

Unfortunately, we don't get many photo pits here either, so you usually have no choice but to brave the mosh pit. Opeth was a rare exception. I've also made a habit of just climbing up on stage, because once security sees that you have a big camera and you're not going to bother anyone, they rarely stop you.

Yaar, I have my pics developed and scanned but I already moved the box with the cd in it to my new place! (fuckin' stoner me).. I'll get them up as soon as I find a good site to host them.. (any suggestions?)

From my experiences: 800 ISO worked a lot better than 400 for me. I pushed a roll of Ilford XP2 one stop, and those ended up a lil nicer than the roll that wasn't pushed at all. If you're doing 800, splurge and get FujiPress 800 or the Fuji NPZ (?) - much nicer grain and saturation than anything Kodak makes.

Fuji Neopan 1600 is a wicked film, as is Ilford Delta 3200 (yum).

I realized something upon seeing my pics though.. My lens isn't nearly fast enough for concert pics. A Leica with a max. aperture of 2.0 or 1.4 would have been ideal, and I saw from WrthChild's writeups that he shot mostly at 2.0.

One nice thing about digital over film is that it tends to hold shadow detail better (unless you want to shoot reversal..)

I hope I get to shoot Opeth again when they come back for the Damnation tour (if I didn't annoy them too much this time around).

The bigger your gear, the more people will get out of your way.. I'm considering shooting with my 4x5 camera next time - those tend to lack big apertures though.

BUT.. if anyone needs a good neg scan, I'm your man. I work in a photolab with a Fuji Frontier - I can do 16 base jpg scans and put 'em on a CD for $4.99. Trick is, you gotta come to REXDALE.. hahahahahaaa... suckers. you're gonna get shot.

Enough rambling, I could talk about photography for weeks on end.

NP: Opeth - The Funeral Portrait

Duvall! Good to see you're still here. If you want me to host those photos on jollyrogerinc.com, I'd be more than happy to. Plenty of free space to kill on there.

Which lab do you work at? My store has a pretty good lab (Aden Camera @ Yonge/Dundas) but unfortunately I'm working in sales right now.

Having the 2.0-2.4 zoom lens is pretty cool, but I was also limited to 320 ISO. Quid pro quo, I suppose. I'm hoping that by the time they come around for Damnation, I'll be able to afford a Canon EOS-D90 (which is being released sometime next month). I really want to shoot ultra wide-angle, which is impossible on the Olympus.

Hey, did you shoot any 3200 film? I was going to (in the Leica) but couldn't be bothered with manual focus. Especially at F1.4, where your depth of field is practically zero.

Alright, now I'm rambling. Drop me an email and we can figure something out for the web hosting.

WrthChild.. i have some freinds in Toronto that are into taking photos and making short movies. What store do you work at aggain? I will suggest them to go there.