Pictures from the San Francisco gig Feb 19th, 2004

Squeak

Photo Mistress
Hiya. Okay, so I scanned all the pics and posted them on a temporary site for now until Fredrik (Swedish Metal webmaster) can post them. If you want to see them, go to www.picturetrail.com , and type in Roswell47 for the member album you want to look at on the left menu. If you click one pic, then you can use the "slideshow" option on top so you don't have to click each one indvidually. Some are not so great because of the lighting conditions and that the stage was very high. Some are okay because I was sitting on the stage sometimes. LOL Let me know what you think!

Cool pics! Very different from most Hypocrisy pics I've seen, very up close and with a fast shutter speed (I assume).

Maybe it's just the lack of color that makes them seem different. ;)

Thank you NAD and lumitalvi!!! They are with a faster shutter speed, but not very much faster. I try to get up close and personal... Most people want to see the band members, not the whole friggin' stage with duct tape/spit/beer spills/puke on it. :p I know as a fan of bands that I like to see face shots, expressions and other things that may make me feel like I'm at the same gig, even if I wasn't. I don't like normal angles or normal expressions and don't shoot them unless that's all I have available. Black and white is a lot more fun for me and I see a whole different version of my photography come out... it's quite hard, though. I'm still learning and will always learn. But I have had several bands say they love my black and white shots, so I figured that's what I would use on this tour. I already have other color pics of the band, you know? I wanted something more unique to me. I also LOOOOOOOOOVE to take hair shots (like one flipping one's hair straight up in the air :p ), finger shots (especially if the guitarist/bassist is doing something very difficult like tapping or arppegios... um ok I don't know the spelling of that one) and also drummer pics since very few people are able to get them. hehe Makes me all the more determined. I hate getting on the stage, but if I'm allowed and that's how I'm going to get a shot, so be it. I get over it eventually unless a band member puts me on the spot! :lol:

I am very happy that you have enjoyed these pics and I hope I can get better ones for you on another day!

@Lumitalvi - I love your avatar, makes me think of a picture my old boyfriend took near his home in Helsinki. ;)

I think another reason I use black and white sometimes is because in California, we have really really sucky venues, 90% of them with no photo pit, low stages etc. and only ONE that I can name that has decent lighting, and that club is 9 hours from my house one way. It's difficult to get cool shots when you don't have any lighting whatsoever most of the time and people are smashing into you at a gig and you're fighting them at the same time you're trying to stand and take pics. The few clubs here that have some sort of lighting always have it directly in the crowds/photographer's face/lens. That is my worst nightmare. That part happened a few times at this gig because the stage is goes all the way up to the top of my rib cage, WITH my tall boots on! :lol: I wish so many times that I lived in Europe because even the smallest venue has decent lights! Hmph. Oh well, I'll just go with what I have. ;)

Well let's see, you live in Finland, Finland is cold.... yup I think winter is definitely you're life!!! :p Yah, Peter looks sometimes funny with the 'stache, but it's all good. He has to keep his face warm in that cold weather over there! :lol: You can have skill too, you just have to have a SHITLOAD of patience and keep trying over and over. I have been doing this is some form or another for almost 16 years. It's been a bitch, but you learn from every mistake ESPECIALLY if it's a photo or band you really wanted to come out well and it didn't! :mad:

Shitload of patience you say? well..that rules me out. Dammit.
I would have to be buying new cameras all the time, after I´d have thrown the last one into a wall.
Cold? -20 is pretty warm :p
When I die I wanna do it in snow.

No I mean patience in taking a photo. Sometimes I will stand there for three minutes waiting for a particular shot, with my camera up and focused and whatnot. I've had one camera for the whole 16 years and one that is identical to it (except one setting on it) as my backup. I also have one "baby" camera that's a point and shoot with a little zoom on it so if I meet someone I want a picture with, anyone can use it. People are afraid of my regular cameras. LOL

You might want to knock on wood, saying that you wanna die in the snow. I don't think you really want to freeze to death! :OMG:

Heh... I mean that when I´m old and on my deathbed (I will fight until snow if it´s summer) I want to be carried outside so I can let go.
Many cameras you carry :) I´m nervous to have even one. "I might brake it! it was expensive! Oh no!" :lol:
And hey, have a heart, who wouldn´t be scared to use someone elses camera.
Especially if they look professional like yours must do. :)

I've been taking photography seriously for almost 2 years now, but I'm more into taking nature shots, mostly desert and mountain landscapes. I would like to take some band photos from the pit someday, but my skills in high speed photography are very little as of right now.

Patience is most certainly key, I've read about photographers spending an entire day in the same spot waiting for the right shot. Personally I've only waited about 5 minutes per shot, but with much driving in between! :)

Link to my most recent desert photos: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134968&highlight=valley

46685471.jpg
This pic is a bit goofy as the one I scanned was dirty a bit and bent on the left upper corner, but you can imagine what it looks like normally.

46685488.jpg

46685499.jpg

This one was taken RIGHT after a storm. I like to take scenery pics too. :) I think this is all I have scanned though. I'll check later.