PICTURES from the SAN FRANCISCO gig in November 2003

Hi Janne, thanks for your compliments as well!!! I always wonder what the band thinks lol. And yes, I was trying to get in touch with you about them. You and also Alexi asked if you could get copies sent to you (scanned), so I was going to send them to you but don't know where to send them. I usually warn a person before I send a file full of pictures to their email! lol Can't wait for the IE/COB/Evergrey gig here! Woot!

AWESOME! I was front and center, standing up on the bars at that show! If anyone was annoyed by the long blonde haired due, sorry! That was a fucking awesome gig!

Ahhh! I just saw you at Cannibal Corpse the other night, as well as Dimmu Borgir, In Flames, and so on you were the chick taking the photos at like every concert i've bn too right? I come to the shows with my girlfriend, the pale blakc haired chick i'm always with

Ahhhhhhhh now I remember the both of you together at many gigs. And yes, I probably have been at every gig you've ever been to. :lol: Including CC and Hypocirsy the other night. :headbang: I think I've gotten squashed in the front with you guys at a few gigs too! LOL Damn places with no photo pits.

Hey, have you ever been around Philly? I do a lot of shows around here(photos), wondered if I ever saw ya around here! I mainly do Philly shows, but have done a North Jersey show and a couple over in Europe too. Nice to see a fellow concert photojournalist here! :D

:wave: hi Fenrir! The only time I went to the east coast (or any shows beyond Atlanta, Seattle or Portland) is when I flew to Kreator, Nile, vader, Amon Amarth and Goatwhore in Mass. at the Palladium. I wish I could go to the east coast more often. I did go to Wacken in 2002 though. That was an absolute BITCH. It's nice to see another journalist here as well! Nice to meet you.

Heh heh, without a doubt! I miss too many damn shows though!!! I missed Immortal when they played in 02 (damn me to hell for that as ill never be able to se them now) and too many others... I missed Origin at The Pound, that sucked too.... can you reccomend a good source other than the newspaper that I can find good metal shows (ANYTHING) I mean im certain you know a lot of the ones that are upcoming, considering you photograph all of em heh. Every time I see you in between the stage and the bars (or wherever) im so envious heh heh! I know of Iced Earth and COB soon, as well as Nightwish in August, and Mordid Angel and such.. other than that you know of who's coming up?

Well, I'm not sure exactly which bands/music you like most, but there are a lot of gigs coming up. Dream Theater... Osmium... Exodus on thre different gigs... Skid Row... Enchant... Yngwie Malmsteen with George Lynch on two nights... David Bowie... Black Dahlia Murder and Six Feet under... Nightwish and Lullacry way later this year... :)

Well, the East Coast folks are getting Rotten Sound on a little few date venture(i'll be at that philly show), I dunno how far west they are going though, and all the details of this one yet.

Not sure about papers. We try to keep up with tour dates on our webzine(see sig) but I think we've fallen a little behind on them. I hear Vital Remains are touring around May though! And Deicide SHOULD be doing something this summer from what has been leaked to me.

hi Fenrir! The only time I went to the east coast (or any shows beyond Atlanta, Seattle or Portland) is when I flew to Kreator, Nile, vader, Amon Amarth and Goatwhore in Mass. at the Palladium. I wish I could go to the east coast more often. I did go to Wacken in 2002 though. That was an absolute BITCH. It's nice to see another journalist here as well! Nice to meet you.

Likewise! I havn't been to Wacken, but I've been to the No Mercy fest. I did two dates(Belgium and Holland), riding along with Marduk both dates. THAT was fun. :D My next goal is to attempt to get a week with a band to cover them in word and picture; of course i'd pay for my own food and gear. I'd just need a seat on the bus. ;) (I figure if I was going to cover a tour, cover the tour...the whole thing. :D)

If I am not mistaken; are you the same Squeak on the HMAS forums that took the Immortal pics? I remember seeing that name on there and was curious. :)

Heh heh, i've got tickets for Dream Theatre, Six Feet Under... Basically I love anything that is Death/Black/Power/Progressive/Heavy Metal in the vein of Maiden/Judas Preist.... wait... ok... I like metal. So how do you go about getting into your line of work? You know of alternative jobs that can get you immersed into the music scene? I am actually playing drums and writing music with a couple guys I met at the Dimmu show, and they are talented as fuck, so maybe i'll be playing on those stages soon (that would kill) but what of other ways?

nice to meet a fellow drummer, too! :D

Well, honestly, my work isn't paid. I'll tell my story(If you mean the journalism aspect, hehe)

I wrote reviews now and then, a couple years ago; been a huge fan of music my whole life; metal especially.

Last year a friend of mine had an idea for a webzine. Around May I think. Before then, I'd just post my reviews on message boards. Long winded things that they are they seem to be taken well! On a message board, Morgan of Marduk noticed my review and contaced me. I flew overseas to see them, and they took me on two dates with them. From there, I had my first experience. The webzine got bigger, and I began doing more cd and show reviews; and because of this, and working at a little CD store for awhile I got contacts with a couple of labels. Thru them I get photo passes for shows.

Now I pretty much offer up my photo skills to any band who wants them; I don't want money; I just want to have fun. I work at both Tower and the Relapse Retail store in Philly; I help Relapse with instore appearances, and from there I go to the shows and continue. Afterward I put the pictures online and send 'em out to the bands. This week I am working the Opeth instore and show; after that it's CC/Hypocrisy(also an instore included!)

So, basically I used the internet, got some stuff out there and went from there. It's so much fun what I do; to me the best part is just getting to hang out with the people who make the music that I love, and treating them to beer as a way of saying thanks. And of course, seeing it all when it's done-and via the webzine, exposing even more people to the music.

EDIT: Ahh, very cool, Squeak! :)

Awesome, Fenrir... I am actually quite envious! Hey Squeak, same questiosn to you, how do you get into your line of work, and do you know of anything I could do around here? If im not playing, i'd love to be doing something like that, or even if I am it'd still be awesome.

@the Lantern Nut: I meant this one heheh:

46208566.jpg

@destroyer - I will answer your post when I get home as I am at work.

@ Frozen - The Avalon Ballroom is an old-school place. It's on Van Ness and Geary (I think). It's an upstairs venue. It was very popular in the late 80s and closed in 89. Last year they reopened it and had two gigs there... Testament/Halford/Death Angel/etc and Kings X. They are finally having gigs again. They don't promote worth shit and their site gives NO info whatsoever. Let me know what kind of info you're looking for about it.

@Quarantine - You call those puppy eyes on Alexi?