Pilgrimage to Sweden

joedrache

New Metal Member
Hello Vintersorg, and fellow fans. I'm an American tattoo artist, planning a trip to Sweden in June. So far I'm going to Karlstad(sp) and Stockholm. Then I'm planning to rent a car and drive up to Skelleftea.

I want to go 'Till Fjalls'. I want to see the Land that has served as inspiration for Mr.V's music.

Any friendly Swedes or Other have suggestions about where I should try to go on this journey: What's the one person/place/thing that should not be missed in Sweden?

Please understand, it's with reverent respect that I take this journey, I count myself as another 'scientist' on the search for the signature of God, beneath every rock and tree.

Thanks to Mr. V and you all
:worship:
PS- anybody want to get a great tattoo? www.joedrachekicksass.com

If you wanna go till fjälls I recommend you to go somewhere in the laponia area, consisting of many national parks and nature reserves (Muddus, Sarek, Padjelanta, Stora Sjöfallet, Sjaunja and Stubba), or to the mountain ranges around Kebnekaise. Both are located in the very north of Sweden (above the polar circle, so you'll get midnightsun :) ).

Which one of those to pick depends on what you wanna experience. Sjaunja is mostly boglands (= mosquitos and gnats in abundance), same goes for Muddus but it also has more forests, Sarek has mountain ranges and glaciers, and so on.

There are marked routes to follow, or you could wander off by yourself if you're experienced enough. I supposed there are guided tours too if you'd prefer that.

There are mountains futher south too, but in the north you've got the largest region of untouched wilderness, with primordial forest, bogs and mountains.

if you go to sweden DO NOT FORGET ANTI MOSKITO STUFF!!! It is unbelievable how many of those disturbing animals there are! And forget about spray, it's just useless! Buy yourself some nets and a lamp, otherwise you'll end up very bad! This is no joke!
When I was in Sweden last year I got 27 stings on both hands IN ONE NIGHT!

Thidrek said:
if you go to sweden DO NOT FORGET ANTI MOSKITO STUFF!!! It is unbelievable how many of those disturbing animals there are! And forget about spray, it's just useless! Buy yourself some nets and a lamp, otherwise you'll end up very bad! This is no joke!
When I was in Sweden last year I got 27 stings on both hands IN ONE NIGHT!
Hence you might wanna go trekking in early summer, before their spawning season.
The "sviden", mini-black flies, that go straight through mosquito nets are great! :erk:

long live the djungelolja

Ive also been thinking about going north.
Although I've lived in Sweden most of my life, I've never been further north than Dalarna ;P

Mostly i want to visit the northern regions to experience the might of Aurora Borealis ("Skuggor ila under glöden, bländade av skenets färd :D").

My question is: Where is this possible? How far north do I have to travel?

Anyone here who has ever seen it?
Is it worth travelling from Norrköping to Norrland just to see it?

NP: Thyrfing - Elddagjämning

NattensThyr said:
Ive also been thinking about going north.
Although I've lived in Sweden most of my life, I've never been further north than Dalarna ;P

Mostly i want to visit the northern regions to experience the might of Aurora Borealis ("Skuggor ila under glöden, bländade av skenets färd :D").

My question is: Where is this possible? How far north do I have to travel?

Anyone here who has ever seen it?
Is it worth travelling from Norrköping to Norrland just to see it?

NP: Thyrfing - Elddagjämning
Intense northern lights are really beautiful, you should go see them once at least. :)
They do occur a bit southwards too, it's jus that they are much more frequent up north.

joedrache said:
Hello Vintersorg, and fellow fans. I'm an American tattoo artist, planning a trip to Sweden in June. So far I'm going to Karlstad(sp) and Stockholm. Then I'm planning to rent a car and drive up to Skelleftea.

I want to go 'Till Fjalls'. I want to see the Land that has served as inspiration for Mr.V's music.

Any friendly Swedes or Other have suggestions about where I should try to go on this journey: What's the one person/place/thing that should not be missed in Sweden?

Please understand, it's with reverent respect that I take this journey, I count myself as another 'scientist' on the search for the signature of God, beneath every rock and tree.

Thanks to Mr. V and you all
:worship:
PS- anybody want to get a great tattoo? www.joedrachekicksass.com

that sounds awesome dude. nice tats by the way, i especially like the black/grey ones. where in norcal is your shop located?

If you drive to the north of Sweden in june you can see the midnight sun, so you probably won't see the aurora borrealis ( too light)

Beside the swedish mountains, fjällen, you should see "urskogen" (how do i translate it) , look it up here http://www.internat.naturvardsverket.se/ , there is probably some place you will want to visit.

The Archipelago outside the capital of Sweden, Stockholm, is usually considered one of Swedens finer places.
fjell.jpg

(picture of mountains in Sarek i took last year, beautiful aren't they?)

thruldom said:
If you drive to the north of Sweden in june you can see the midnight sun, so you probably won't see the aurora borrealis ( too light)

Beside the swedish mountains, fjällen, you should see "urskogen" (how do i translate it) , look it up here http://www.internat.naturvardsverket.se/ , there is probably some place you will want to visit.

The Archipelago outside the capital of Sweden, Stockholm, is usually considered one of Swedens finer places.
%7B35A94D58-F982-4896-9791-0A8D6E828BE5%7D.jpg

(picture of mountains in Sarek i took last year, beautiful aren't they?)

Cool! I've been to Sarek many times..the whole "stora sjöfallet naturreservat" is nice!

mr V

Hey I'm doing the exact same! I'm in Israel for ten months (GUNNA SEE ORPHANED LAND YES) and if Vintersorgs doing a concert in Sweden I'd go specifically to see him (plus a million good bands play there and I real wanna go. It would be a dream come true to see any of Mr V's bands play there.

Any concert dates lined up for sometime after Nov Mr V?

Haha I'm in a room full of people and I just put Cosmic Genesis on the stereo and this chick goes (Can we play some normal music) hahahaha

Thanks for the correction Thidrek :)

Vintersorg: I agree, but what is your viewpoint of the Sourva dam and the artifical lake it creates? I think it's sad that they've destroyed the original Stora Sjöfallet nationalpark, but on the other hand it's better than importing "dirty" coal power from Poland :(. How do you usually travel in the mountains? Alone, with a friend or a group?

To everyone who wishes to experience our unique mountains; be humble and have proper equipment, especially have a map of the area ( and loads of moquito repellant)

For some inspiration check out Tomas Utsi's great photos http://www.naturfoto.se/images/arkiv/ladtjojaure.jpg´
and (http://www.naturfoto.se )

amf said:
Hence you might wanna go trekking in early summer, before their spawning season.
The "sviden", mini-black flies, that go straight through mosquito nets are great! :erk:

long live the djungelolja

oh, i've been to there in july/august. is this the time they use to spawn?