Pilgrimage to Sweden

Surely you mean conquered Innipunn ;), all the borders have been through peace agreements created ( I have certain difficulties expressing myself in english I notice now).

My point is while Norways "fjell og tinder" have one character, the alps have another and the swedish mountains have yet a third.

The great thing about our fjäll is the open landscape, the free space, the desolate landscape, one can (or could) go for miles without have to meet the civilisation or other wanderers.

If you want to do serious rock- and ice-climbing probably ours are NOT the best, but if you in the words of the great man H.N. Pallin wants to "söka ensamhetens mysterier", search for the mysteries of lonliness, these are the ones, at least in 1923. (He has a bronze plaque mounted in the summit cairn of Sielmatjåkko 1997 m.ö.h, who he thought should be an national park, it's situated in the Kebnekaise-massifs)

I'm not saying that "our" mountains are better (what do they care about borders?) I'm just saying ours is the ones I've learned to love.

(Soon I will come to your mountains in Norway, and praise their beauty)

abigailwilliams said:
this is probably a stupid question. but what tempature does it get to be there during summer and winter?
Usual summer temperatures are between 15-25 degrees C, some days it's colder and some days warmer. Warmer down south and cooler up north, obviously.

During winter, in the most northern parts, it's not uncommon for the quicksilver to creep down to -30, but it usually stays between -10 to -20 there. -40 or even -50 in extreme cases. A few degrees milder futher southwards, and down in Skåne I don't think they've even seen snow. :p

All in all the temperatures are pretty nice. The golf current makes for a nice clime. Not too warm in the summers and not too cold in the winters.

amf said:
Usual summer temperatures are between 15-25 degrees C, some days it's colder and some days warmer. Warmer down south and cooler up north, obviously.

During winter, in the most northern parts, it's not uncommon for the quicksilver to creep down to -30, but it usually stays between -10 to -20 there. -40 or even -50 in extreme cases. A few degrees milder futher southwards, and down in Skåne I don't think they've even seen snow. :p

All in all the temperatures are pretty nice. The golf current makes for a nice clime. Not too warm in the summers and not too cold in the winters.

thanks

sounds really nice. the summer there is like the winter here. the summers here get up to 48 degrees c

thruldom said:
Thanks for the correction Thidrek :)

Vintersorg: I agree, but what is your viewpoint of the Sourva dam and the artifical lake it creates? I think it's sad that they've destroyed the original Stora Sjöfallet nationalpark, but on the other hand it's better than importing "dirty" coal power from Poland :(. How do you usually travel in the mountains? Alone, with a friend or a group?

To everyone who wishes to experience our unique mountains; be humble and have proper equipment, especially have a map of the area ( and loads of moquito repellant)

For some inspiration check out Tomas Utsi's great photos http://www.naturfoto.se/images/arkiv/ladtjojaure.jpg´
and (http://www.naturfoto.se )

usually I travel in company with some friend..I've done a lot of "hiking" on my own as well but during winter especially it's kind of dangerous..you know mother nature's temperament can be quite harsh..hehe

mr V

thruldom said:
Surely you mean conquered Innipunn ;), all the borders have been through peace agreements created ( I have certain difficulties expressing myself in english I notice now).

My point is while Norways "fjell og tinder" have one character, the alps have another and the swedish mountains have yet a third.

The great thing about our fjäll is the open landscape, the free space, the desolate landscape, one can (or could) go for miles without have to meet the civilisation or other wanderers.

If you want to do serious rock- and ice-climbing probably ours are NOT the best, but if you in the words of the great man H.N. Pallin wants to "söka ensamhetens mysterier", search for the mysteries of lonliness, these are the ones, at least in 1923. (He has a bronze plaque mounted in the summit cairn of Sielmatjåkko 1997 m.ö.h, who he thought should be an national park, it's situated in the Kebnekaise-massifs)

I'm not saying that "our" mountains are better (what do they care about borders?) I'm just saying ours is the ones I've learned to love.

(Soon I will come to your mountains in Norway, and praise their beauty)

Well, it's probably okay, we got our part from you because we made the people who were setting up the borders drunk. :D If I'm remembering correct. And besides, I can enjoy Swedish goods on norwegian land if I put a little will into it =P
Ahh, a bit to nationalistic there maybe. Well I do belive you when you say you have your own type of mountains. I think in the future I will go visit northern sweden and take a hiking trip up in the nice mountains there. Maybe on skis too, then I could go fishing for char on the ice, wich I've seen on TV to be quite nice. Ahh, a bit off the track there, but anyways. Point is, don't take the last post to serious, even though there are great mountains in Norway I wouldn't say there aren't nice ones in other countries too.

Vintersorg said:
usually I travel in company with some friend..I've done a lot of "hiking" on my own as well but during winter especially it's kind of dangerous..you know mother nature's temperament can be quite harsh..hehe

mr V

Yes, the winter mountains are not to fool around with, they can be quite deceitful, just remember poor Valfar of Windir who died alone up in the mountains.

As for me, I haven't (yet) had a chance to do any "serious" tours in wintertime, just for one day or two, but maybe some year in the future. But atleast i have a hike in the kebnekaise-area planned with a friend..

Innispunn; in the sylarna-massif on the border to norway (quite near trondheim) the border crosses over the summit ridge and in a impressing atempt to get the border straight and nice the border-cairn is virtually hanging over a 200-meter drop down to the glacier below... so if it falls norway will get a little bigger ;)