Pinched Harmonic Problems

junior_t_bob

New Metal Member
Apr 30, 2004
I've been playing around with Serenity Painted Death and Master's Apprentices, and I'm having a very hard time getting those low string pinched harmonics down. Anyone got any advice on how to do it good, cause I've been practicing it countless hours.

Can you do pinch harmonics at all? I found when trying to get them it's much easier to try doing it around 7th fret on G. Best area on my guitar is pretty much right in the middle of the pickups (my guitar has a bridge and neck humbucker, no middle pickup). Just keep at it and don't force it, just let your thumb lightly touch it. Eventually you'll be able to just start doing it out of nowhere and have no idea how you could never do it before.

I couldnt have said it better myself. But on a side note...what thickness of a pick are you using? i find its easier to do pinch harmonics on thinner picks...perhaps try that.

It's much easier to play p.hs on the g string, its the A and E im having serious problems with. Everynow and then i get it easy just as previously said, but then i question myself on how i did it. In and Above Men by Moonspell is another song with a nice p.h part in the beginning, but, i have the same problem with it.

I think practice certainly is the key to pinch harmonics... that's from my experience anyhow. The more time I spent at it, the more I got the technique, and as said above, started kicking myself for not realizing how easily it is done before.

When it comes to pinching the thicker strings, well I suggest starting mainly with the 7 fret on the A string, which is the octave of the open E... I find harmonics come out all over that one and you don't have to worry too much about the positioning of the right hand. The way I do it, is I let my thumb stick out a little bit from the pick and I kind of sharply twist the pick into it, so that my thumb touches the string immediately after... and voila, pinch harmonic ala Moonlapse.

make sure when you pick that you have your thumb low enough so immediately after the pick leaves the string, your thumb just grazes over it. Experiment with how hard you have to let your thumb touch the string so you get the right clarity/sustain. There are also many places to pick, not just between the pickups. Try picking right over the neck pu also. Once you somewhat get it down, dont worry about how you did it, just keep picking it that way. After a while you wont even have to think about it, it will just come naturally.

Try moving left and right. If you do pinch harmonics in one spot it wont be the same as a lower string or a different note. When i do the pinch in masters i pick closer to the neck right in front of my hambucker.

When I find it hard to pull a PH off on a lower string I try to exaggerate the picking /muting movement. It tends to help a lot. I dont know if I can explain it properly without making a video.

Just pivot your hand heavily at the wrist more than you normally would.

I own a Parker NiteFly and I can get an artificial(pinched) harmonic on every fret. Just grib the pick at the very tip and fret the note hard right at the fret. I also tend to use the side of the pick for pinched harmonics.

Yeah, artificial harmonics are some fucked up shit... you need to fret the note, then with your right hand lightly touch the part of the string where the harmonic is you want to come out, then with the same hand you gotta pick the string so it comes out.

I forgot to add one thing before. Use Dunlop Jazz 3 picks. They are THE definitive lead player pick and pinch harmonics will virtually do themselves, as I'm sure Mr Alexi Laiho would testify.

Thanks to all of you very much, I still haven't got it completely down but your advice has worked great

suislidE said:
make sure when you pick that you have your thumb low enough so immediately after the pick leaves the string, your thumb just grazes over it. Experiment with how hard you have to let your thumb touch the string so you get the right clarity/sustain. There are also many places to pick, not just between the pickups. Try picking right over the neck pu also. Once you somewhat get it down, dont worry about how you did it, just keep picking it that way. After a while you wont even have to think about it, it will just come naturally.

I couldn't tell it better myself! Take this advice. Also don't forget to bend the string with your fret hand (non picking hand).

Moonlapse said:
Yeah, artificial harmonics are some fucked up shit... you need to fret the note, then with your right hand lightly touch the part of the string where the harmonic is you want to come out, then with the same hand you gotta pick the string so it comes out.

I forgot to add one thing before. Use Dunlop Jazz 3 picks. They are THE definitive lead player pick and pinch harmonics will virtually do themselves, as I'm sure Mr Alexi Laiho would testify.

I find artifical harmonics a lot easier than pinched harmons, it's weird but true. I agree with ''Land Of Grey & Pink'' pinched/ artifical harmonics are both a lot easier to do with a thinner pick than a thicker pick.

greatapoc said:
I must be weird then. I find it easier to do it with a thicker pick. I use a 1mm Jim Dunlop pick all the time and I've found it so much easier than a thinner pick.
Ditto.

All bow down to JD 1mm :worship::worship::worship:

Moonlapse said:

Just wanted to say that I totally agree on that point. Dunlop Jazz 3 picks are the only picks I use since the first time I tried one :Spin: