Opeth in Tokyo 27/8/08

Metacchi

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2008
Just a quick post. I saw Opeth play at Akasaka Blitz in Tokyo. Excellent show, as you'd expect. They only played 2 Watershed songs (opening with Heir Apparent, playing The Lotus Eater live for the first time later on), but also played (in no particular order) Master's Apprentices, Deliverance, Serenity Painted Death, The Baying Of The Hounds, The Night & The Silent Water, Bleak, The Drapery Falls, Demon Of The Fall and To Rid The Disease. I think they were rather surprised that the crowd were sining along to the closing riff of Heir Apparent, which was pretty cool. On another note, the band went straight into the first verse of TLE, skipping the humming at the start, and stopped abruptly at the end, and Mikael mentioned the fact that they'd played it for the first time a couple of times later in the show - I think he was a bit nervous, and relieved that it went well, as well as addressing a predominantly non-English speaking audience. I can understand that, though, having been there myself more than once.

I took one of the Japanese teachers I work with. It was his first metal gig, but he was more than a little impressed. As good a band as any to start with, though, I guess! Anyway, it was an excellent gig, and I hope they'll come back again soon.

Cheers.

OMFG they played their best songs they can play live, I'd cut my penis to be in this gig (not...)
Though seriously now with DOTF, TDF & Master's Apprentices (my three fav Opeth songs) plus The Lotus Eater, live for the first time.... sounds like a fucking awesome gig! :headbang:

They played for just over 2 hours.
A couple of things I forgot to mention...
I saw 2 women over 50 at the show, one of whom was at the front! Mikael was doing these kind of stadium rock thank yous between songs, which was fucking funny, even if most of the audience didn't get it. I've just realised they were actually David Coverdale impressions, as he made one or two other Whitesnake jokes (like his hair looking like David Coverdale's).
Oh, and when the crowd were chanting for the band to come back for an encore ("it's a ridiculous thing... but it makes me feel good"), I was surrounded by people chanting "oh piss" over and over (Japanese pronunciation at work) which was a pretty weird feeling.
Oh, and Per has a beard now.

Heir Apparent
The Lotus Eater
Master's Apprentices
Deliverance
Serenity Painted Death
The Baying Of The Hounds
The Night And The Silent Water
Bleak
The Drapery Falls
Demon Of The Fall
To Rid The Disease

PERFECT SETLIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:OMG::OMG::OMG:

This is indeed the best setlist I've seen around here in recent times.
Keep it up Opeth.

Holy SHIT that setlist is amazing.
THE NIGHT AND THE SILENT WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Bleak, fucking wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
I'd also love to hear Ghost of Perdition live (have missed Opeth the last two times in Australia, and they didn't play it when I saw them in Italy)
Also would love Benighted if you'll allow me to dream a little :lol:

If we get this set for most of the US tour, I'm going to shit my pants. The only thing more I'd like to see is Hessian Peel added.