Planning for live gigs, signal chain questions

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
:err:

A lot of the stuff comes from pre-recorded things, including drums, second guitar (DI) and bass (DI). This is what I'm thinking about doing:

Laptop/DAW -> Fireface 400 ADAT out -> Behringer ADA8000 ADAT in -> 8 balanced line outs:

Ch 1 - Kick
Ch 2 - Snare
Ch 3 - Overhead L
Ch 4 - Overhead R
Ch 5 - Synths/FX L
Ch 6 - Synths/FX R

Those would go directly to soundboard, and:

Ch 7 - Guitar DI signal -> Reamp box -> guitar amp
Ch 8 - Bass DI signal -> Reamp box -> bass amp, or directly to soundboard

And if need comes, I can just re-route the signals to suit the size of soundboard as some of the places would have a very small one, like a small music room/hall with the PA mainly just for vocals :erk: :lol: But a gig's a gig :kickass:

You think that would be a terrible setup/did I miss anything important? Nevermind the Behringer, since I'm not 100 % sure we'll be gigging much so I want to keep the necessary costs as affordable as possible. I originally meant to use just the Fireface, but there is no way I can fit the TRS-to-XLR adapters in the back of it, since they're so close together.

:loco:

Yes :) I think it'll sound much better than just playing the original guitar .wav through the PA. And you have much more tweaking possibilities.

The setup would be:

- Me playing most guitars and all leads, with the reamped guitar acting as a rhythm guitarist through the songs (since there's harmonies too in some riffs)
- Vocalist doing his stuff, unless I can coerce him to play the bass too, though he swore he'd never do vocals and bass at the same time anymore :lol:
- Everything else through the aforementioned setup

I guess there is no reason why it wouldent work and it would give you more option flexability in terms of tone ect buts its also a lot more things on a list that can wrong also you need more equipment ect ie a bass rig two guitar rigs.

I try to keep it as simple as i can for live and even then some little thing always goes wrong. Over here most metal bands are kids playing metalica through mg's in the dankest pub/club in town so i figure your alredy winning simply by having a sweet sounding rig and having your chops up to speed.

Id go with everything pre recorded and avoid the re-amping its leaves you with less things that can wrong and you wouldent have to haul as much gear to gigs so you would save your back and save on wear and tear on your gear

everything else sounds great how are you handeling your monitoring are you using some in ear setup (Since you have no drummer monitoring will be very important)

I guess I could get some small monitor, but most venues I've played so far have had at least some sort of monitoring in addition to the PA. A few places haven't but they're so small you'd hear the stuff anyway from the PA since you can't play that loud (really ghetto venues, the size of a rehearsal room :lol: ).

were in the same boat as you (no drummer or bass player) and in some venues the monitoring is total pants the sound guy nearly always gets it arseways and this was when we had the full band :( since your behind the pa (in most places) its going to be hard to hear your backing track clearly. We are planning to get our own mixer and in ear systems so we can have total control over our monitoring with each player having his own mix in ear and of course a click.
Also you get to have a little ear protection as any half decent in ear bud will also have about 26db noise reduction but i guess if your not playing realy loud its not a problem

I've been thinking about the channeling though. Is having stereo overhead important? Or are you just fine with mono overhead? Same thing for the electronics too, really.

Anyways, I've been checking out the monitors and I think the DB Technologies M10-2 Plus should do just fine even for long term?
http://www.thomann.de/fi/db_technologies_m102_plus.htm
That's one of the monitors a lot of the Finnish sound guys are recommending anyways, in a Finnish musician's forum.

And a question regarding it: should I connect directly to it from my interface, or should it first go through the soundboard? At least from the physics point it shouldn't matter, but how about in practice and non-optimal pure copper lines :lol: Some of the places may have quite shoddy cabling. Of course I would have to do my monitor balance myself, but that's no problem.