Planning management

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hey,

I'm looking for a software or something offline to help me managing my planning. I'm currently booking recording and mixing sessions for 2017 and I'm quite tired using regular calendars that are not always adapted or "handmade" sheets. Do you have some suggestions?

Thank you -

I use google calendar to organize everything, studio and personal life, synced to my phone so I always have everything. I also use Trello to manage projects and mark parts as completed, with deadlines, etc. (Divide by songs, with checklists per song: rhythm guitars, leads, synths, etc etc.)

Same as Dan, mostly using Trello with the built in calendar app and it's amazing, both for personal life and studio work.
But he asked for an offline solution, and I don't know any.
Do you absolutely need something offline ?

Hey,

I'm looking for a software or something offline to help me managing my planning. I'm currently booking recording and mixing sessions for 2017 and I'm quite tired using regular calendars that are not always adapted or "handmade" sheets. Do you have some suggestions?

Thank you -

If you'd want to go more in depth than using some kind of a calendar, I like using Gantt charts softwares. It's a tool for project planning. I don't know if you are familiar with this?

You can really go deeper into planificatino with this, where you basically plan whatever things you have to do in multiple tasks, how long you think they will take you, and how many hours your are willing to spend working each day. You end up having a nice overview of when your multi-tasks project will be finished. And you can also use this to move forward with many projects in parallel and keep track of how each advances.

Sounds complicated, and perhaps overkill. But I like using such tools since I am already quite familiar with them, using them for work. The big advantage for me versus a regular calendar is that you can really play with your tasks, move them around, decide to work more, etc. and it's all going to update itself. Very useful when working on multiple tasks in parallel, and also with other people (cause you can add "Ressources" to your project. Ressources = Humans).

You can Google for Free Gantt chart Softwares and there are a bunch. I think GanttPro is quite popular, though I have only used expensive Gantt softwares, such as Primavera or MS Projects.