Please, rate my productions!

Hello,

Most of what I've heard from Toproom has been through the Borknagar albums. So, I guess I'll first start with the Empiricism album as I really enjoy the production work on it.

Most definitely the drums stand out the most, and more specifically the rich ambiance you were able to achieve. According to the thread in the Borknagar forum for the Universal release coming next year, very few room mics were actually set up. Was this also the case for the Empiricism drums? I also wonder about the mixing of the cymbals, because to me they seem to have a bit more power to them than other albums I've listened to. The chinas in particular really cut through the mix offering a great accent. Do you remember doing anything special for the cymbals?

Also, it would be nice to have your take on the kick drum for that album. That seemed to be the one part of the kit that somehow gets a bit buried in the mix, at least when it comes to the faster blasting sections. I remember from the making of the Epic album digital kick drums were used, was this also the case for Empiricism?

Hopefully that's not too much for you to get into....for now :)

Hello George!
I have never used room mics on Borknagars albums. I think the sound will be less defined that way. I really like it for more rock/blues-like music, but the cymbals will "swim" while playing fast beats. The ambience is digital...mostly a Lexicon 480 and TC 3000 (40" x 40" studio room). I mic up the overheads, cymbals, with a pair of Neumann km84 with ortf-stereo. I use API or Neotek micpres. In the mix, I push the overheadtracks through 1176 or SSL master compressors. Asgeir used the V-drum bassdrumsound with a sound from the TD-20 module...a sound called "pillow".. On Epic we soundreplaced the V-drum signal with something else..can`t remember. On Universal, Dave was playing on ordinary bassdrums as I soundreplaced with his own bassdrumsound.

Børge

Hello Børge... Thank you!!! is very nice to have your contribuition, i like your work and i met through Borknagar's Epic Making off and i hope to meet many more from you. I would love your production tips on especially on drum compression. And, how was recorded the Epic guitar??? I saw a POD above the racks, but there's something else??

Well..most of the Epic guitars was a Mesa Boogie Triaxis. I dont think we use any Pods on that production. Triaxis and Marshall JMP 1 for fill-stuff.

Børge

Sorry Børge!!! i saw JMP-1 too, i thought you were using JMP1 with some POD cab sim. It's a amazing guitar tone. Thanks.

About Borknagar - Universal: The prod in general is great, excellent. The only con so far is the guitars are kinda low in the mix. I have a small studio too, where I can hear the music just well and still there I hear the guitars low. I know it's hard to mix so many layers and instruments, making them all audible, but this time I had a hard time trying to figure out what guitars are doing (specially Øystein's rhythm ones).