Update- studio and new album!

Production has been one of my biggest peeves concerning later Borknagar.

Adopting a production similar Quintessence or The Olden Domain would solve a lot of problems. Give me some POWER.

Those albums have the shittiest production in terms of quality, but it brings out the tone of the music well. I suppose thats what you mean.

I hope the production on the new album will sound as clean as Empiricism, but with more bass and power, like on Quintessence. The new drummer has a lot to live up to, so unless his drum parts are phenomenal, I'll still be pissed about Asgeir's absence. I also hope Oystein doesn't let Mr. V get out of control with his vocal experimentation...it doesn't work as well in Borknagar as it does in Vintersorg or Cronian.

I like the production of Quintessence but sometimes I wish I had the option to remove the harsh tracks layered over and listen to just the clean singing, I think that would be awesome as bonus tracks, like The Presence is Ominous and Rivalry of Phantoms.

It could have been better, but compared to the even worse production on other albums it was excellent.

My only complaint with Quintessence is what a weak opener Rivalry of Phantoms was as opposed to the other songs on the album.

True, it is. It really blasted the album open, even though there is that half a second or so delay at the beginning where you can hear a breath lol.

Revolt and Colossus are the strongest tracks on that album. Although I also like Invincible and Icon Dreams, mostly because you can hear that real nice and bright Rickenbacker 4003 sound in some parts.

My favorite album is Epic. I really don't like the guitar tones on any of the other albums. They give me a headache. Epic's production is perfect in my opinion.

Epic does have nice production. The bass stands out nice, showing off Asgeri's hard work, especially considering the fact that he is not a bassist. I like Epic the most out of the more recent albums.