Update- studio and new album!

I think the only person who questions Borknagar from a selling out point of view is Zephyrus, to anyone else it's pretty laughable. To him everyone agreeing or liking something with Vintersorg on it makes us fanboys, even though people give critisims all the time. The only difference is when we express our point we don't go on about it like a broken record, or try act superior to everyone else. :lol:

I stated specifically that I wasn't calling Borknagar a sell-out. They are not, and as Oystein spoke at length about, increasing their popularity is not one of the band's motives.

What I stated was that their increased popularity is a CONSEQUENCE of their musical expansion and development. My theory is that by incorporating more and more styles you will appeal to a larger audience. They also recruited Vintersorg, which won over a lot of fans AS A CONSEQUENCE. And yes, they got him because they were friends, not because he would make them popular.

And distancing themselves from the less accessible trademark sound of Black Metal as a consequence will scare away less people from listening to "heavy music." I MYSELF got into this band that very way, since Borknagar are my first extreme metal band.

I am NOT calling Borknagar's motives into question. I'm only discussing why the band has become more popular. It was a consequence of their shift in musical style. The fact that more people like them now than in no way indicates selling out.

Thank you Oystein for making us all feel welcome, even those of us who are more critical than apologetic.

Zeph.jpg

So will David Kinkade be present during the whole production or will he just pin his drum stuff and go back?

I was thinking the same thing, hopefully he gets to stay there a while :lol:, but maybe him living in the USA is a good thing, might drawn them to this side of the pond for a bit :p

TOD is my favorite album but I dont think the Garm-era was the best, the s/t album wasnt that good at all imo. Things changed for the best when Vortex came in.

That picture of Zephyrus made me LOL, I'm the one that likes the Garm-Era stuff the best. :p *Hopes Undefined doesn't find a pic of me and photoshop it. :lol:

i liked what Oystein said about wanting all of us to see Borknagar, maybe we'll all get a chance. Get Borknagar to perform at my birthday party! I wonder how much that would cost?

I like all the sides of Borknagar, from the Garm era to the way more progressive sound now. They're just really well-rounded, and I like that.

Oystein's post reminds me of an interview I watched with Fenriz one time, where he something like, "I could be a real rich bitch if I started doing things people wanted me to with the music, but it would make me like my music less."

Zephyrus: I disagree with your assessment of the quality of the music, but I see where you're coming from. I certainly don't think Borknagar has "sold out" but the music is absolutely more accessible and ear-friendly now than it was before. I don't see how that's really subject to question, and yeah, of course the more accessible it is the more people are going to... "access" it. It's just funny that a lot of people take that, itself, as a criticism. I see it plain as day, but that doesn't mean I don't like it or think poorly of it.

What's interesting to me is that it seems to have more to do with the arrangement than anything- Oystein's guitar style has remained relatively consistent, and most of the changes in style have occurred with the development and presentation of the music. It gives the catalog a real sense of consistency despite all the changes that have occurred.

His guitar work has certainly gone bland though. There were a few good riffs on Epic but the highlights of both albums had to be Lars.

I hope he uses more Quintessence space synth. Get some damn bass in there, and since I can never hear Tyr for shit please turn him up. Old baritone vocals Mr.V.

Bam, four things needed to make this album win!

Tyr tended to use a lot more of the higher strings on a lot of the parts on Empiricism. But yeah, it did need a lot more bass than it has.

I like Mr.V's clean vocals on Epic and Empiricism, it was a nice departure from the viking sounding voice of Vortex in Quintessence and the rich baritones of Garm on The Olden Domain.

Tyr tended to use a lot more of the higher strings on a lot of the parts on Empiricism. But yeah, it did need a lot more bass than it has.

I like Mr.V's clean vocals on Epic and Empiricism, it was a nice departure from the viking sounding voice of Vortex in Quintessence and the rich baritones of Garm on The Olden Domain.

I agree, but I think that it's more of a production problem. I also really liked Mr.V's vocals a lot. Bands that stay doing the same are afraid of evolving and/or conformists. That's why I really like Borknagar because they're so versatile.

Production has been one of my biggest peeves concerning later Borknagar.

Adopting a production similar Quintessence or The Olden Domain would solve a lot of problems. Give me some POWER.