Plug In for a little bass topend grind

Force666

Sep 12, 2007
Just wondering if any of you use any certain plug-ins to add a little topend grind to bass successfully. Just a bit :heh:

Right now i'm recording a DI (J48) > RNP, and GK1001RB into 4x10 > D6 >RNP.

Just want to add a little grind to the DI signal. I'm just using the mic to get the lows and a little speaker movement.

this probably sounds weird, but sometimes i actually bus bass guitar out to an amp modeler (amplitube 2) and blend it with the original signal. pan each 5-10% left and right to open up some space for the kick and add a little bit of overdrive to the bass.

SansAmp could definitely work but for more "polite" alternative rock/post rock bite you might want to try iZotope Trash. I don't like iZotope products but Trash can work really well to get just a little of that "orange-y" bite.

I use it a lot when I only have the bass DI track and want to give the bass more grind to blend with the guitars better (and therefore deliver energy from the pure kinetic power of drums to the harmonic and melodic structure being guitars, keys, vocals).

and I just came up with a great sentence in between those () :D

Just wondering if any of you use any certain plug-ins to add a little topend grind to bass successfully. Just a bit :heh:

Right now i'm recording a DI (J48) > RNP, and GK1001RB into 4x10 > D6 >RNP.

Just want to add a little grind to the DI signal. I'm just using the mic to get the lows and a little speaker movement.

I highly suggest you should atleast try the DI signal for the low end and the mic signal for the grind. I've succeeded 9/10 times this way. Just compress the DI to hell and back, like -10..20dB gain reduction or so.

Compression is also mandatory for the DI and AMP track for me..usually around 12dB, more or less. I also compress the Bass Buss again. Two key factors in nailing the bass is limit the sucker and take care of all the release times in your compressors (DI, AMP, Buss). When the three releases "talk" together, you'll hear the rhythm section as if you had turned on a turbine.

Some great ideas here. Thanks for the plug links. I might have to switch it up and use the di for the low end. Hit a couple tracks last night where the cab was farting out in a couple spots (GK Backline 4x10) Luckily I got the DI so I can reamp if need be. We have a peavey 2-10/1-15 so I might have to reamp through that.

Thanks for the tips dudes. Keep em coming.

Some great ideas here. Thanks for the plug links. I might have to switch it up and use the di for the low end. Hit a couple tracks last night where the cab was farting out in a couple spots (GK Backline 4x10) Luckily I got the DI so I can reamp if need be. We have a peavey 2-10/1-15 so I might have to reamp through that.

Thanks for the tips dudes. Keep em coming.

I made this one a while ago, blend the one you like in with the clean DI and you'll have a boomin' bass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video

That just made me realize what kind of distortions I have for bass, while I usually go for plugins lol.
Boss ODB-3
Sansamp PBDI
EH Big Muff Pi
Behringer BDI 21

Each one sounds very different. All of them better than the plugins I suggested.

Tech 21 is the most 'true' to the raw sound of the bass there. It just adds a bit of grit. The TS9 seems to shape the signal in a way that might sit really well in a mix. Luckily I've got a custom 808 sitting around, so I will most definitely reamp Bass DI through that next time. The Boss and Muff sound absolutely horrid to me.

What was the bass playing through on that clip and what was the recording chain?