POD farm/everything

3tuxedo

Apr 2, 2011
So i have a bonanza of questions, some are good and some are probably dumb, either way thanks for at least looking at this.

Is there a drastic difference between all the versions of POD farm? I am looking to just buy plain ol' POD farm and use an iLok and see what i can learn, but if there is a difference, you guys would know. recommendations on what to buy?

Also, i haven't really recorded much when it comes to metal guitars, is there something negative about plugging directly into whatever preamp is being used? i think that could be the stupid question.

Last one, when it comes to studio monitors what is a good brand when you aren't trying to break the bank, i need them dearly.

if anyone could answer any of these, it would honestly help me so much, im just here to learn as much as i can.

Yep. PODFarm Platinum is the way to go. Expensive but worth it. I prefer a real amp, but different strokes for different folks.

DI boxes, in my opinion, are only worth it if you really can afford to pay ~$150-200 for a decent one for improved clarity/dynamics. With that said, you can still get a very workable tone with plugging straight into the instrument input on your interface/preamp (if it has one). But also, I'd rather record with one than not, but only if you can afford it.

Yamaha HSM50s. Get the HSM80s if your budget allows for it though. Rokit KRKs are good too (from what I've heard). Those are pretty much the main ones on this forum that people use, unless you want to go a little higher end and get some Adams (They are def worth it).

I prefer a real amp, but different strokes for different folks.

I want to clarify on this: I preferred ampsims for a really long time, until I got Peavey Windsor (jcm800 clone) as my first a real tube amp. I had like a Roland Microcube before this, but it pretty much sounds like ass. Than a year later I suddenly had 4 amps (Mesa Dual Recto, Peavey Windsor, Marshall Mode Four and Bugera 333). Still need to get like Mesa 4x12", Vox AC30, Peavey 5150/6505 and Rivera Knucklehead (have you guys ever heard these Rivera amps? If the distortion grain on 5150 is like sawdust, with Rivera's it is like small rubble. Love it.) and I'm set for a good while.

The distortion character on a real amp is WAY different than what you get with podfarm and other amp sims. The preamp modelling starts to be pretty spot on, the Lepou Lecto is really fucking awesome. But usually the main difference is in 2 things: they don't have the power amp modelling and the cabinet modelling is a bit lacking.

On the power amp modelling: I once took out the power amp output from my Mesa and noticed that it's WAY fizzier than what I got from the Fx loop send (preamp output) and it seems many ampsim manufacturers are not modelling this.

The cabinet simulation: It starts to be REALLY close with the impulses, but I think the clearest difference is in the +1khz region, which I find most crucial part of the distortion character and because that region starts to become really directive, it is hardest part to match and unless you have made the impulse yourself, it won't sound the same as when you mic an amp. It was Fractal Audio that said that the current resolution that people capture the impulses make the low end sound really great, but it's the +1khz region that suffers from low resolution, but by increasing the resolution of the cabinet modelling increases the "realness" character of the cabinet simulation (sorry, forgot to bookmark the link, it was a really good read).

KRK Rokits are a great bang for your buck. Look into their VXT range. That's the step higher than Rokit and you can sometimes get em close to the same price as the Rokits. But I got 8inch Rokits 2nd generation (expose cab) and love em.

As for PodFarm Platinum is the way but if its just for learning then get the plain 1 and you can still buy the model packs afterwards if you need the high gain amps for example.

Yamaha HSM50s. Get the HSM80s if your budget allows for it though..

Ive had the 50s for a while now. theyre great for an overall balanced response when mixing. Ive heard the KRKs are more for wanting just loud and bassy monitors. I could be wrong of course. How much better are the 80s just for the record?

KRK Rokits are a great bang for your buck. Look into their VXT range. That's the step higher than Rokit and you can sometimes get em close to the same price as the Rokits. But I got 8inch Rokits 2nd generation (expose cab) and love em.

As for PodFarm Platinum is the way but if its just for learning then get the plain 1 and you can still buy the model packs afterwards if you need the high gain amps for example.

I currently have the normal POD Farm 2. I didn't know you could get model packs for it? I thought you could only do that with the hardware units? :err:

can somebody explain to me the difference between podfarm 1 and 2? not between standard and platinum.

pod farm (the first pod farm)... is not called pod farm 1.

and pod farm 2 is the updated version of the first pod farm.

pod farm 2 platinum has more effects/amps/cabs etc.

False. Exact same effects and amp stuff, just free routing and better midi stuff.

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/line_6_releases_pod_farm_2_and_pod_farm_2_platinum_14073

this was what i was looking for, the only difference is better signal processing how it looks and midi capabilities? has anybody noticed the sound difference between the two?

also you can technically buy the original pod farm still.. one of the long mcquade stores where i live still had one in the box for 150$