Pod Pro XT results

I'm just wondering now, is there any double-tracking going on there, or is that just one raw sound coming out of the POD? I've been messing around with Amplitube lately, but can't get a good recording sound for the life of me.

As far as I know, Agathodaimon plan to do a US Tour for this album. Depends on Nuclear Blast. We'll see.

Yes, doubletracking all the time. Two tracks POD and two tracks amp/cabinet/mic. The difference between the mic recording and the POD recording is in my case always more dramatic (and not really in a sense of quality) than just changing the amp.
That's why I prefer this from 4 tracks with two different amps.

Do you mean in the sense of the two different sounds being drastically different? For instance, one tackling the high-end, whilst the other tackles the other ranges, or are they just simply different tones? With that, I've always wondered how much distortion is actually used for each track too. I seem to muddy up my recordings all the time with too much gain, but when I turn it down, there just isn't any power.

I mostly try to combine two "really" different tones. That works for me. Each one should also sound well alone of course. Nothing like: "this track for the basses and this one for mids" or so.
I think it's the same thing that Andy does. The only difference is that he uses two different amps and I use one amp and the POD.
One good thing is, that you always have both sounds available. You don't need to have a second cab or to switch the cables (or mics) on the amps (cab). It's always one direct (POD) setup and one mic setup.

Like that you can finish all guitars for one song first and do the next one instead of playing two tracks for each song first. And you can quickly change the sound if you for example discover that this or that riff or melody sounds better with the amp + mic or vice versa.

Thanks!

Thanks alot for that, it's very helpful.

I'm still wondering how much gain is 'optimal' to use for rhythm tracks, though. I always run into the muddyness problem, especially when going up to 4 tracks. Speaking of 4 tracks, do you actually record 4 seperate guitar takes, or just two (one with the POD and one with amp) and then digitally double them?

Thanks alot for all the answers.

Hi Andy,

Have you had some more time to fool around with the POD PRO XT?
Would you still use it as a serious tool compared to real amps or did you already hit some pitfalls (if any)? :erk:

Cheers,
Very curious Soundscaper

I own a PODXT Pro and it is a pretty good piece of equipment. In my opinion it kills the POD 2.0 (where the only useable amp model for metal distortion in my opinion was modern hi-gain). The XT's models are pretty good plus if you're interested in getting more 'metal' tones they have the model pack that you can buy (sucks that you have to buy it though).

The only major downside to the Line6 units I've found is their reliability. The first POD XT Pro I purchased had a messed up "Bass" adjustment knob that would skip around and also the input jack was also broken (the clip light would turn red no matter what instrument I used no matter the volume and the tone sounded terrible). I returned the unit immediately for another one and I've not had a single problem since.

The POD XT is a great practice tool, and it also is great for doing little demo recordings (I do all of my writing for the band I'm in on my XT). I would prefer to use my ENGL Powerball plus my two 4x12 slants but you can't always play at loud volumes when you have roommates.

Please Mr. Sneap, can you tell Line 6 that having a post Eq high shelf which only goes up to 9.3 kHz is utter pants. I can't use it to roll off the top end, it gets too muddy. IMHO it should go up to at least 12 or 14 k to be useful.
I'll tell them myself, but I expect they're more likely to listen to you...