Pod XT & Pro Tools LE

Progmetalmaniac

New Metal Member
Jun 9, 2006
Guys:

I am looking for some recording help. I have just purchased a Pod XT & I already have Protools LE 7.0 and the Mbox 2. However, I have been recorded rhythm guitars and I have been quadruple tracking them. In other words recording 4 mono audio tracks at once and then panning them respectively. However, when I burn them onto a CD, the guitars still seem "distant". I can't get a really good recorded sound that is "up front"

I was wondering if anyone can gives me some tips. Maybe Mendel? I have heard his PodXT clips and the guitars sound great to me.

Thanks to anyoone that can help.

Do you have the Metal Shop pack for your PODxt? If not...buy that first, it's $49 on www.line6.com. You can't get anything like what Mendel, Kazrog, Black Neon Bob, or myself have gotten without the MS pack.

~006

Progmetalmaniac said:
In other words recording 4 mono audio tracks at once and then panning them respectively.

Do you mean recording one take, but recording to four different tracks and then panning them around? if this is what you mean, your problem is that you only recorded one take and made it really loud. You need to do four SEPERATE takes and record then seperatly (takes a while) doubling a track and panning them %100 left and %100 right is the same as having one in the middle. Because that's what the middle is, both speakers. (since there's not middle speaker, the effect of middle comes from the sound coming equally from both sides)

If that's not your problem, then a clip would be helpful. Also, check out the MS pack like 006 said, and then try Kazrogs patch.

PS, don't worry about getting your sound upfront. That shouldn't be hard with a POD (no room sound :lol:) so I'm sure you'll figure it out soon. you'll probably have to worry more about things like sterileness and hiss.

Thanks guys I appreciate the input. I have the model packs and the fx pack. But you are right, I am recording the guitars at the same time, not different takes. Is there any way to record them once and then just layer them? In other words add different tracks and copy them?

If I new how to post the audio I would, but I dont.

Thanks.

Progmetalmaniac said:
Thanks guys I appreciate the input. I have the model packs and the fx pack. But you are right, I am recording the guitars at the same time, not different takes. Is there any way to record them once and then just layer them? In other words add different tracks and copy them?

If I new how to post the audio I would, but I dont.

Thanks.
There's your problem right there, in order for quadruple tracking to be effective, it has to be four separate performances, there's no way to cheat it.

On a other different note.. whats the best settings without the metal pack?

Which cab/amp/pedal+settings/mic/% room on the mic/ and rough eq settings?

Would be MUCCCCCHHH apreciated... the damn pod is getting on my nerves.. even my amplitube settings sound less fizzy and sterile at the moment.

Seizure. said:

Would be MUCCCCCHHH apreciated... the damn pod is getting on my nerves.. even my amplitube settings sound less fizzy and sterile at the moment.

The "dual treadplate" model is the one I've gotten the most useful results from so far. I just got mine the other week and haven't gotten the model pack yet but I think this model sounds great once you turn the gain way down and tweak the eq. I have the low lows and high highs rolled off with a bit of a mid boost and with the eq + comp stomp engaged- sounds very tight and clean. Maybe this weekend I'll get the metal pack and mess around with it though.

Lopes said:
There's your problem right there, in order for quadruple tracking to be effective, it has to be four separate performances, there's no way to cheat it.

Well you can always delay the other takes slightly, but that's more of a compromise solution than anything.

Death's Acre said:
The "dual treadplate" model is the one I've gotten the most useful results from so far. I just got mine the other week and haven't gotten the model pack yet but I think this model sounds great once you turn the gain way down and tweak the eq. I have the low lows and high highs rolled off with a bit of a mid boost and with the eq + comp stomp engaged- sounds very tight and clean. Maybe this weekend I'll get the metal pack and mess around with it though.

Thanks dude!!:) i'll let you know how it goes!

Seizure. said:

well don´t have the metal shop add on as well, but I like the dual rectifier most. someone postet the settings of the nevermore dead heart recordings, and I went for it with the pod and with slightly tweaking it sounded not that bad for my. also the new line 6 modern hi gain from the nwe version isn´t that bad...

dasbuchi said:
well don´t have the metal shop add on as well, but I like the dual rectifier most. someone postet the settings of the nevermore dead heart recordings, and I went for it with the pod and with slightly tweaking it sounded not that bad for my. also the new line 6 modern hi gain from the nwe version isn´t that bad...

were would one find those settings?:)

Ok...you really do need to do four seperate takes. I don't understand why this is a problem...just make 4 tracks, record your guitars 4 times...easy. Try it, I gaurantee it'll sound 100x better. Secondly, you need to use two different cabs at the very least. Do two tracks with the Brit V30 cab, and two tracks with the Treadplate cab. That will give you the blend of clarity, tightness, and chunk.

Seizure - A very useful database is the Line6 CustomTone site, where you can download tons and tons and tons of tones made by users.

Duplicating a track and nudging it by a few milliseconds should be used as a last ditch effort or if you are running out of time. The last time I used that method was...two years ago, and it's not even close to the same effect as two seperate performances.

~006

that 2 cab thing seems a pretty good trick dude, i'll try it.. thanks!!:kickass:

and i'm lending the pod xt so i don't think it'll work out if i download all the editting software and then just use 1/2 days.
I'm lookging for some text presets:p

well simply get the line6 software, guitar port or line6 edit...you can save your presets local on your own machine.
and the best of it... ;) it doesn´t cost anything :p

Silicon Diode Setting
Bold Setting
Red (Modern) Channel

Treble: 11.30
Mids: 10 O'Clock
Bass: 11.30
Gain: 12:30
Presence: 12.30
Master: 10 O'Clock

For the tubescreamer
Drive: 9 O'Clock