Pod XT & Pro Tools LE

You mean to tell me that every single band records tracks 2 to 4 times?

That seems hard to believe.

There's got to be a way to duplicate it. If there's not then oh well.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I'm going to try it and post my results.

Jay

Dude, ever hear a cd and say "damn those guitars a beefy and thick"? It's because they did like 4 tracks (2 on each side), all seperate takes.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4036526&q=hi

There is an example of PODxt with two tracks of the v30 cab and two tracks of the treadplate cab. One V30 track panned 100% left, one 100% right, one treadplate track panned 88% left, one 88% right. All seperate takes.

~006

If you had the XT Pro you could re-amp one track while jamming it with another amp/ mic/ cab set up. Then comeback and set up the re-amped track with what ever mic/ amp/ cab you want. Then just re-do this process for the other side. With four of the same track panned, basically all you have is a BIG MONO track.:zombie:

Good Luck

GORILLA

I use the 5150II model (MS-Criminal) for the amplifier. I use two different cabs though. The Brit V30 4x12 model and the Treadplate 4x12 model. Both with SM57 on-axis with 26% room, BOOST+EQ stomp model, with a TS-9 in front of the PODxt. I would have to check the settings for everything, no time at the mo, but later on maybe.

I used a Schecter HellRaiser C7 with EMG-707's for the guitars and bass. Guitar -> Digitech Whammy (set to octave down) -> PODxt Live with Bass Overdrive stomp model -> DAW for bass guitar. There is no eq'ing on the guitars or bass after it's recorded. At all. That's how they sound coming out of the PODxt. What's wrong with the kick? It's clear throughout the entire song, plenty of beef and click.

~006

Hey 006, when I use the Whammy on my RPx400 in order to simulate a bass guitar it's always somehow "late"... Maybe I'm crazy or has anybody else experience that problem?

It's because the RP400 has slow tracking. The Digitech Whammy has very fast tracking, almost instantaneous, but it's still a tad off...but not noticeable enough to nudge the track back a few ms's. What you can do though, is just play it, and I guess mute the monitoring so you don't hear it off-time (so that you can play and not get confused and messed up, hehe) and then nudge the bass track a little back until it's not late anymore...after recording. The RP400 doesn't have the exact same effect as the actual Whammy they make, however it's more decent than some of the other things I've heard, hehe. Also, it helps to add just a touch of distortion on the bass...makes the guitars sound a bit grittier and meaner. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4036526&q=hi

Updated in case anyone hasn't heard the newest mix yet. Drumgog'ed the kick drum with Sneap's sample, way fatter than I anticipated...I love it.

~006

Carcass - Dude, you have way too much low-end on those guitars, lol. It's a pretty decent tone though...I can upload my patches if you'd like. :)

~006

Carcass - Dude, you have way too much low-end on those guitars, lol. It's a pretty decent tone though...I can upload my patches if you'd like.
That would be cool if you had some patches to share...I appreciate it. The low end is due to the C4 and the BBE maximizer....I just started messing around with those and I don't have a bass player so I tend to go heavy on cutting the mids. It just sounds to overly processed too...maybe I should just go for the 2 track method instead of the wall of guitars.

Carcass29 said:
That would be cool if you had some patches to share...I appreciate it. The low end is due to the C4 and the BBE maximizer....I just started messing around with those and I don't have a bass player so I tend to go heavy on cutting the mids. It just sounds to overly processed too...maybe I should just go for the 2 track method instead of the wall of guitars.

nah, 4 tracks should be ok, thats what 006/Bob/Mendel all use.

Edit: I didn't get to listen to your link in time, but do you use dfhs to program drums? If so, maybe you could think about using one of the bass sims like the Eastwest Hardcore Bass XP to program bass as well. Doesn't sound too great on it's own, but can sound awesome as a basis for the guitars.

006 said:
It's because the RP400 has slow tracking. The Digitech Whammy has very fast tracking, almost instantaneous, but it's still a tad off...but not noticeable enough to nudge the track back a few ms's. What you can do though, is just play it, and I guess mute the monitoring so you don't hear it off-time (so that you can play and not get confused and messed up, hehe) and then nudge the bass track a little back until it's not late anymore...after recording. The RP400 doesn't have the exact same effect as the actual Whammy they make, however it's more decent than some of the other things I've heard, hehe. Also, it helps to add just a touch of distortion on the bass...makes the guitars sound a bit grittier and meaner. :)
Damn, I should have bought a real Audio interface... Unfortunetaly I didn't know what I'd need back in the days when I bought my RPx400.

Good idea to nudge the track back until it fits! I could have had that idea myself actually! :loco: Well, I'll give it a try when I need bass the next time!

Do you have any good presets I could use to simulate a bass guitar? (It seems so from your post above.)

nah, 4 tracks should be ok, thats what 006/Bob/Mendel all use.

Edit: I didn't get to listen to your link in time, but do you use dfhs to program drums? If so, maybe you could think about using one of the bass sims like the Eastwest Hardcore Bass XP to program bass as well. Doesn't sound too great on it's own, but can sound awesome as a basis for the guitars.
nah....I haven't gotten as far as programing drums or bass yet...still kinda new at it all. Just trying to achieve a good recorded guitar tone. He's another shot without so much low end....still 4 tracks.
http://www.acidplanet.com/components/embedfile.asp?asset=816749|1&embed=1&t=9107