PODxt: good amp/cab/mic combinations for leads?

I've never really gotten any good lead tones from my PODxt... can't say that I've tried really hard though, as 95% of my active POD-time has been spent searching for good rhythm tones.

So, can anyone give me a few hints in what direction to look? What amps and cabs are good to start with? I have the metal pack.

Thanks!

A good place to start is with the factory preset called "Eruption" and start adjusting the settings. :)

~e.a

Thanks a million for the answer! However, I tried the preset but didn't really like it. In fact, I couldn't get anything good out of that amp/cab combination at all.

Guess I have to try'em all, and I HATE that. My ears starts to play tricks on me almost immediately, as they adjust to the tone too fast.

For my lead sound I've always found the Marshall JMP-1 setting quite good combined with the Brit 75's. I use this cab as the JMP amp seems to be quite dark and the 75's seem to give some of the treble back. I use a lot of mid in my sound too and also a boost at 3k and 5k once again to add some brightness and bite to it. Seems to give a really thick smooth lead sound.

My settings are roughly

Drive - 2 o'clock
Bass - 2.30
Mid - 4 o'clock
Treb - 4 o'clock
Pres - 4 o'clock

3.0k + 3.0
5.0k + 2.0

I also have a tube screamer infront of the XT set at:
Tone - 12 o'clock
Drive - 9 o'clock
Vol - 1 o'clock

Give that a try and tell me what you though, works for me might be horrible to you :lol:

Amp: Criminal
Cab: 4x12 Green 25's
Mic: Sm57 On axis
Gain: 4.5
Bass: 5.5
Mids: 9.5
Treb: 5
Pres: 5
Channel Volume: 8.5
Stomp: Screamer with default settings
Comp: -6db threshold, 1db gain
Gate: -60db threshold, 0% decay
Reverb: Dark Hall 4.5 Default settings

It comes out sounding pretty nicely.

Hope this helps you any, I know how annoying it is finding podxt tones you like. I spent way to much time on it.

I've found using the bomber uber with treadplate cab, Tube screamer giving most of the gain and anm on axis 57 gives the smoothest leadsound i've heard from a pod.