Poise into Celeano and other old Opeth tracks

ethereallights

Fevered Pitch
Jun 9, 2004
Somewhere
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard "Poise into Celeano" or any of the old Opeth tracks/rehearsals (besides the ones on re-released cds) from their pre-recording days? If so how and where, because I am very interested in hearing them.

I think it would be very neat if Opeth did made a disc featuring old rehersals and some of the old tracks re-recorded. That would be pretty nifty.

If those tracks were really that great, they probably would have ended up on Orchid or Morningrise. I imagine they would be something like Into The Frost of Winter; pretty mediocre stuff with a few riffs that ended up being recycled in songs like Advent. It would be interesting to hear those old tracks, but if it doesn't happen then I don't think we're missing much.

Sadly, I think the main reason that most of those rehearsal things were never real songs is because you never really know whether you want to release the song or not until you atleast make a pre-production version of it. I dont know if this was the case with songs such as these, but Ill be playing songs with my drummer and bassist, and I'll think it sounds meh, maybe good enough to be released, but then I get to pre-producing it, or recording it on my computer with programmed drums etc, I always rea;oze some things that we were playing sound like shit, and things need to seriously change, and that's where the truly good riffs stick around and I reform the song "in the studio", a lot like what Opeth end up doing on most of the albums after Morningrise. It's kind of sad, because I think the essence of a band's music should be created live, and then re-created onto a record, but with lots of complex music like metal it's the other way around, you produce it, dub guitar over guitar over guitar to get the sound you want, and then simply do your best to reproduce the songs live with however many members you really have. That's one of the main things that makes me drag my ass to concerts, not only for the energy of hearing my favorite songs live, but also to see how well the band can pull off the songs that I know are not %100 suitable to be reproduced live.

But I would also like to hear some of these older tracks, because after all these great albums, you start to wonder if Mikael and Peter ever came up with shitty music hehe...

There's this totally fucking grim part in Eternal Soul Torture near the beginning that comes back again at the end. It's too bad they never used it. Or if they did, the feeling changed completely and I can't think of where it is. It'd be nice if they'd re-record one of those old songs just for the hell of it.

That bootleg recording of the 91 show is terrible. I cant make out bloody anything. The 93 rehersal with Eternal Soul Torture, Forest of October and the early 15 min version of Black Rose is much better sounding, but thats because it wasnt recorded in the middle of a crowd. Always good.

The early "Apostle in Triumph" recordings kick arse. I dunno when they were done, but I assume they're the ones that were on the tape that Lee Barrett heard.

ShroudofDusk: I agree with the 91 show (I didn't tape it, but I made it go public) - it's not very listenable, but it should be considered a piece of Opeth history (and interesting for collectors).

Certainly, and I'd definitly have to thank you for essentialy 'releasing' it. Even though I cant listen to it without having blood clots in my brain, I agree it's definitly a nice addition to the collection.