Opeth song history 91-93 - ask for help

carven

New Metal Member
Dec 12, 2001
Visit site
Well I have been through numerous interviews, biographies, etc... and I have identified the following songs :

"Mark of the damned" (before "Mystique of the baphomet") : later Forest of october
"Requiem of the lost souls" : later ??

Both were featured on a reh tape 91 (called "Dark phantasia") and were played live for their first gigs in 1991 (three gigs in Sweden it seems...)
However other songs were yet created in 91, a live bootleg called 'live in Akalla' is said to be featuring 3 songs...

then

"Poise into celeano" : later advent

1992 or 1993
"Eternal soul torture" (with riffs of "in the mist she was standing" and "advent")
"into the frost of winter" (with other riffs of "advent")

also it seems a version of "black rose immortal" was recorded in 92 or 93 for a rehearsal tape (this is probably the one that got them signed to Candlelight ...) but under another name which remains unknown ..

maybe someone here can help to reconstitute the history of opeth forgotten songs ???

maybe Mike if he's still around, please help us with your remembrance of that period...

thanks

"Requiem of lost souls" is the first song I did for Opeth. The only 2 riffs from that song that survived the test of time resurfaced in "Forest of October"

"Mark of the damned" was first called "Mystique of the Baphomet", influenced by a Venom title...parts from this one we're also chosen for the finished version of "October"

These are the songs on the "Dark phantasia" 1991 reh-tape, that also featured Johan Defarfalla for that matter. He was with us for one gig in 1991, left and came back in 1994.

Other early (and extremely obscure) titles include:
"The final destiny", "Dimension of devastated minds", "Children of darkness"...this was before I was singing, and I can't really remember these tunes other than that "Dimension.." was like 10 minutes long...

"Oath" turned into "The twilight is my robe"
"Autumn" turned into "The empty glade" who turned into "To bid you farewell"

I have numerous reh-tapes dating from 1990 to 1996 ( I stopped recording rehersals fro some reason) and there's some cool stuff actually, for instance I have a recording me and Anders did on piano and guitar. It was supposed to be a instrumental for the "Morningrise" record, but we didn't have time to record it properly. This reh-song sounds pretty good I think, and eerie since Anders old piano is out of tune!

That's some obscure info for those who give a shit...

Mike

"Poise into Celeano" was the first title of "Into the frost of Winter"...I rewrote the entire lyric after David left the band since I didn't have a clue what this one was about. This song vanished and wasn't heard of until we put it on the reissued Cd.

Live in Akalla....1991 or 1992, I can't remember...we did "Requiem of lost souls", Poise into Celeano" including the separate acoustic intro that was called "Moonlight silver tears" + a cover of the Possessed track "Death metal" The gig was together with Asphyx and Desultory. We had our first shirts printed for this gig...50 copies of black shirts with the old satanic logo...pretty rare these days....

wow...i just exchanged words with the man.....this is amazing....well i would just like to say your music inspires me very much. keep up the good work

Mike. yes it is. It makes me cry for being so bad on piano ;)

BTW. still working on mellotronen? Do you know where I can get the BWP-album from -71 by the same group? And more on the progrock, Still life, did you get the title from the album by VAn Der Graaf Generator?

Mikael! Thanks for filling so many obscure-info blanks! There's many of us that not only "give a shit" about the old days .. but are dying for this sort of cool info! You rule. as usual...

Originally posted by DracWell
Mike. yes it is. It makes me cry for being so bad on piano ;)

BTW. still working on mellotronen? Do you know where I can get the BWP-album from -71 by the same group? And more on the progrock, Still life, did you get the title from the album by VAn Der Graaf Generator?

I think they actually have the cd version of the BWP album at Mellotronen. I remember them saying something about it when I was there a week ago.

Originally posted by Mikael Åkerfeldt
That's some obscure info for those who give a shit...

Mike

thanx a lot for the info !! I gave a shit actually ...
and I have another question in mind for you mike... I am afraid I am going to be a bit off-topic for this thread, anyway let's go ...
it's about the improvisation issue... some people have told you earlier, but I wonder why you don't try jamming a bit during gigs ?
I am sure you have abilities for that ... ;)
I remember having read you saying that maybe you were going to improvise a bit on 'credence' during the 2001 tours, but you didn't, no ?
Do you think you are going to try something in the future ?

Originally posted by Oyo
I wouldn't recommend watching that movie unless you have an IQ lower than 80, or you are extremely stoned. They named their bongs "Billy Bong Thorton", "Wesley Pipes" etc. :rolleyes:

"Wesley Pipes" is what they called Fish (Fish? I don't know..I lost my copy) when he was gaoled.

The smoker you're talking of (I think) walks up to them, and starts smoking their weed, and when they tell him that they sell it, he replies with:

Damn.. that's a shame.. I quit smoking yesterday..

Mikael, thankyou for this information.
And by the way, will we ever hear more songs like Silhouette? It's my all-time favourite Opeth song. To me, it sums up all of Opeth.

Then again I think to much.

Cheers.