Political View In Metal

swizzlenuts

i'm sciencing as fast as i can
Apr 21, 2003
Arkham
I know black metal bands like mayhem are considered reactionaries because they want the world to go back to the norse culture... and they will use violence to get it that way... What political view do you guys have? any reasons at all for you choice

i am liberal probably a radical if i were to use violence, but i dont.... I believe that there is too much religion behind my country anyways... and im kind just pissed off at all the damn conservatives at my school and always argueing....just curious about the political views of you guys....and the reasons behind it.....

I'm a liberal pacifist, but I can still feel the longing to return society to how it was before, in some aspects. Using violence to achieve goals, on the other hand, is not logical, and can never really succeed. That does not, however, keep me from enjoying the lyrics that some black metal bands make, although I rarely agree with them. Besides, I doubt that many black metal bands take themselves literally.

conservative, with some exceptions.

im pro choice, and pro gun. i wanna legalize weed, but only to commercialize it and tax it... stuff like that

i guess im a conservative liberitarian
~gR~

genocide roach said:
conservative, with some exceptions.

im pro choice, and pro gun. i wanna legalize weed, but only to commercialize it and tax it... stuff like that

i guess im a conservative liberitarian
~gR~

ditto!

swizzlenuts said:
I know black metal bands like mayhem are considered reactionaries because they want the world to go back to the norse culture... and they will use violence to get it that way... What political view do you guys have? any reasons at all for you choice

i am liberal probably a radical if i were to use violence, but i dont.... I believe that there is too much religion behind my country anyways... and im kind just pissed off at all the damn conservatives at my school and always argueing....just curious about the political views of you guys....and the reasons behind it.....

Well, I myself hold certain views that could be seen as extreme right, and some that could be seen as extreme left. I registered as independent because I'm disgusted by the phoniness of both major political parties here in the US.

Crimson Velvet said:
Using violence to achieve goals, on the other hand, is not logical, and can never really succeed. That does not, however, keep me from enjoying the lyrics that some black metal bands make, although I rarely agree with them. Besides, I doubt that many black metal bands take themselves literally.
Same.

corpseripper said:
Well, I myself hold certain views that could be seen as extreme right, and some that could be seen as extreme left. I registered as independent because I'm disgusted by the phoniness of both major political parties here in the US.
ditto.

Political views in metal are a must. How could music possibly be good if it isn't played by over-opinionated pseudo-intellectuals?

smoke_weed_everyday.jpg

I don't consider myself having a specific politic point of view.... I'm not on the left nor on the right. I make my own politics which are not restrained by some ideologies except the one that humanity needs some improvement in its way of living.

I guess I agree with a lot of people here in that I have some liberal and some conservative views, so I don't fit with either party in the U.S. I generally dislike political statements in music. I don't need anyone shoving their views down my throat.

Oblivious Maximus said:
I think politics should stay out of music.

I mostly agree. Specific political commentary relating to some current occurrence should be left to the historians. Thrash and grind seem to be often plagued by temporal limitations.

Oblivious Maximus said:
I think politics should stay out of music. I'm a Republican, and believe metal is filled with too many whiney liberals, the execption being Billy Milano.

HERE HERE!!!

we all have political opinions. no one needs to push their own beliefs in their music. it reeks of christianity
~gR~

No one is getting anything shoved in their faces, as no one is forcing anyone to listen to music. And republicans whine a hell of a lot more than anyone else.

That no one forces me to listen to something in no way precludes me from criticizing its negative attributes.

Great art is timeless. It conveys meaning that transcends day-to-day bullshit like traffic, chitchat, getting drunk, and the current political climate. Great art speaks about the world and the human condition in a way that years from now people outside its zeitgeist will still relate to it. Music about Reagan's presidency is already the relic of a distant age. Imagine it in 30 years. Even now, it's difficult to listen to some hardcore band griping about the economic policies of 1985.

Crimson Velvet said:
No one is getting anything shoved in their faces, as no one is forcing anyone to listen to music. And republicans whine a hell of a lot more than anyone else.

it goes beyond just lyrics. they put it in interviews and other forms of media. most musicians dont know jack about politics. and i find political ignorance very annoying.

ill keep listening to the music, because good music is good music, but i just think its retarded and lame

but lets not let this turn into the same ole debate we've had over and over. he asked what our views were. i think we could atleast stick to that. none of this liberals are better than conservatives bullshit. thats just lame
~gR~