Political View In Metal

don't make me pull the 60's card.

a lot of the great music from that era was heavily political. to me, a political band is a lot more intense and interesting than a pussy-band.

Demiurge said:
That no one forces me to listen to something in no way precludes me from criticizing its negative attributes.

Great art is timeless. It conveys meaning that transcends day-to-day bullshit like traffic, chitchat, getting drunk, and the current political climate. Great art speaks about the world and the human condition in a way that years from now people outside its zeitgeist will still relate to it. Music about Reagan's presidency is already the relic of a distant age. Imagine it in 30 years. Even now, it's difficult to listen to some hardcore band griping about the economic policies of 1985.

END.OF.THREAD.

I know you're probably all gonna laugh and call me some kind of liberal for this, but I think it has to be said. What I as is, why is everyone so quick to label themselves as one political alignment or another? To me, what you do by saying "i'm a pacifist conservative" or whatever is kind of a relatively brainless attempt to fall in with a group that already has an ideology and set of goals, isntead of thinking of your own. I honestly couldn't put myself in any political category. I know some of you feel strong connections to these groups you associate yourselves with, but aren't you limiting yourselves? Isn't it possible that your responses to situations could be better determined by rationality than by applying a preconcieved template? I pretty much cringe when I see anyone say "I'm a...", but that could just be me.

Demiurge said:
Great art is timeless. It conveys meaning that transcends day-to-day bullshit like traffic, chitchat, getting drunk, and the current political climate. Great art speaks about the world and the human condition in a way that years from now people outside its zeitgeist will still relate to it. Music about Reagan's presidency is already the relic of a distant age. Imagine it in 30 years. Even now, it's difficult to listen to some hardcore band griping about the economic policies of 1985.

You're missing the nostalgic or historical element that can applied to a song written in a certain time reflecting the mindset of that time. True, the very best of art can be simultaneously timeless and current, but many songs reflect Vietnam/Gulf War I sentiments or those of gang violence in the late 80's or other such events cannot be overlooked. Part of artistic endeavor is to capture the time period.

Naggamanteh said:
Grind core bands and their communist antics are the worst.

No, sir, your avatar is the worst. It took me a while to figure out what it was, and then all of a sudden my eyes exploded. :(

Luckily, Oblivious Maximus's sig was around to save me.

Demilich said:
I know you're probably all gonna laugh and call me some kind of liberal for this, but I think it has to be said. What I as is, why is everyone so quick to label themselves as one political alignment or another? To me, what you do by saying "i'm a pacifist conservative" or whatever is kind of a relatively brainless attempt to fall in with a group that already has an ideology and set of goals, isntead of thinking of your own. I honestly couldn't put myself in any political category. I know some of you feel strong connections to these groups you associate yourselves with, but aren't you limiting yourselves? Isn't it possible that your responses to situations could be better determined by rationality than by applying a preconcieved template? I pretty much cringe when I see anyone say "I'm a...", but that could just be me.

well, for me its easy. im a big politics person, and ill prolly end up doing political work in foreign policy stuff. atleast thats where im workin towards right now with my career.
~gR~

anonymousnick2001 said:
You're missing the nostalgic or historical element that can applied to a song written in a certain time reflecting the mindset of that time. True, the very best of art can be simultaneously timeless and current, but many songs reflect Vietnam/Gulf War I sentiments or those of gang violence in the late 80's or other such events cannot be overlooked. Part of artistic endeavor is to capture the time period.

I didn't mean to imply that true artists lived in a vacuum or ought to pretend as though they did. Regardless of the artist, there is influence drawn from something in time because we are always in time. My point was that musicians, writers, etc. can be and often are rendered obsolete by a period specific limitation. For example, a person who lived in the USSR through the great wars and subsequent reign of Stalin could be in part shaped by this and reflect the emotions this triggered through his work. A work like Shostakovich's 10th symphony for instance(note that this is neither the best nor the only example by a long shot, it was determined by the CD currently sitting next to my monitor). On the other hand, there is a punk band complaining about Ronald Reagan's economic policies. Material so focused on a particular happening ceases to be meaningful when the same can be said of the occurrence or circumstance. Great art goes beyond this triviality to values and problems that will held and grappled with for as long as humans exist.