Poll: Anathema vs Amorphis

This is a tough poll, heh. I love the first three Anathema albums (Serenades is one of my all time faves ever), plus Alt 4.........but then again, I love Tales, Elegy, and even Tuonela. (I never really liked Isthmus that much, it was a bit generic). AND, the Amorphis EPs are very cool, especially My Kantele EP.

I'm going with Amorphis.

Yeah, they started playing more 'mainstream' and can neatly fit into a 70's pop-rock genre, but they still have (or returned to) that distinct 'Amorphis' vibe started in Elegy. Some of them have real metal side projects too.

Anathema on the other hand, my word, it's really quite extraordinary for someone of their talents....all they did was pick out one single band and rip them off....still, I'd like to get the older Anathema DVD now.

I'm gonna check out Karelian Isthmus again then. I have to admit, I might have dismissed it pretty quick. I remember it being like a poor man's Bolt Thrower. :D

JayKeeley said:
I'm gonna check out Karelian Isthmus again then. I have to admit, I might have dismissed it pretty quick. I remember it being like a poor man's Bolt Thrower. :D
Hey, there's a certain charm to be had about poor man's bands. Fates Warning's first three albums were called a poor man's Maiden, nothing wrong with that. Steel Prophet also a poor man's band. :D