Gig at Madrid - Smashing instruments!!

Rantam

Born to frag
Jun 1, 2004
Madrid - Spain
www.rantam.cjb.com
Hi all. Yesterday I was at Anathema's gig in Madrid. I can resume it as "A natural disaster" concert. Let me to explain this...

The concert was at "Copernico nova club" a little club for 1000-2000 persons crowd. Its height is 6 meters, and I think it was the main responsible of the bad sound of the show.

The gig began with a spanish support band. I don't remember their name (anyone can help me?), but they did their work well. They sounded very progressive, like Dream theatre style, but mixed with a Nightwish style. The female singer sang nice & powerful, and the band play with a very powerful and compact sound too. They play 4 of their songs, and two covers: radio hit "Going under", and a personal progressive vision of Flashdance main theme "What a feeling". But the general sound was bad. It was a great ball of distortioned sound :ill:

Anathema's setlist was something like this, may be I'm forgotting some song or the order is not correct:

Shroud Of False
Fragile Dreams
Balance
Closer
A Natural Disaster
Pressure
Release
Panic
One Last Goodbye
Temporary Peace
Flying
Judgement
Empty
Angelica
A Dying Wish
"Comfortably numb" Pink Floyd Cover

It was a short setlist I think, and they played some of the songs very fast.

At the beginning of the concert they had a lot of problems with the sound. I imagine that Vincent couldn't hear his voice or his guitar. He sang only few words of "Balance", because he was gesticulating with his hands all the time to show the sound engineers something was wrong.

There was problems with the sound the next songs too, but it was ok after 5 songs more or less. But the general sound was bad, because the club was a bad place for concerts, like I've said before. I think vincent voice was too low...

During ALL the show you could hear a crispy noise, like shortcircuit or cooking fried chips :D and the engineers could't fix it.

And now the most surprising thing... Two or three songs before the show ended, Les took one of his keyboards with his hands, put it over his head, and SMASHED IT OVER THE STAGE!!!! :OMG: The keys flew in all directions. Wawwww!! It was like a Hendrix-Who's Townshend-Nirvana moment!!! :-D I think not only the crowd was surprised, Anathema's crew and musicians too. May be Danny would confirm this. After that orgasmic moment, the crispy sound desapeared :)

I've to say that Lee Douglas sang with Vincent in "A natural disaster" and other song (I don't remember which song now). She's a nice girl with an incredible warm voice.

It was the first concert I've seen with no encores!! at the end of Comfortably numb Anathema disapeared and never came back. You've to know that these days in Madrid all the concerts MUST end at midnight, It's shit dude... Anathema only could play about 1 hour and half, more or less, because all the sound problems and the a bit long show of the support band.

I think they want to play more. Vinnie said it a couple of times, but dude, the time was up :( The few time they had is the main reason of they played some songs really quickly.

Well, bad sound and a lot of problems, but Anathema tried hardly to do a good show... Vinnie said at the beggining of a song, after stop it once 'cause the sound problems "Thank people... Where gonna play this song, If god let us play it, of course" or something similar :)

As you see, it was "A natural disaster" concert :D or I'd said "A Murphy's classical disaster". If it can be wrong, it'll be worse :)

See ya, and I hope next gigs will be better.

Well, sounds bad indeed. But i think such concerts happen from time to time, apity it was in spain this time, though the Barcelona show must have been great.
Anyway, nice one Les, spot on for throwing the keyboard away, hehe, very alternative. MAybe he was just too pissed cause of the fucked up show.

Morpheus said:
...i think such concerts happen from time to time, apity it was in spain this time...

... MAybe he was just too pissed cause of the fucked up show.

Yes, I'm agree with you. I saw the "A fine day yo exit" gig in Madrid two years ago and IT WAS AMAZING!! The best concert I've ever been. The sound was great, the best mixing i've ever heard in a concert. The setlist was nice and the band was very inspired.

Yes, I think Les was really angry with that f...ing piece of tech-shit. If he had got some gas and a flame to burn the smashed keyboard It had been a cool Hendrix moment! ;)
:hotjump:

Argh. I've said it before: I don't like it when musicians smash their instruments!
bawl1.gif

I can't afford a Gibson but I need one, and seeing them being smashed on telly is painful then
hypnotized.gif

It´s a pitty hear that because the gig of Madrid i have heard is gona be played at Radio3 in the program "El Paraiso de Radio 3" of Carlos Pina,i´m paying attention to hear the date to record it,Carlos Pina are talking about this show in radio all the weeck.
Anyway i was in the concert of Bergara and it was incredible ,about 2 hours and very good sound,and , i have heard the gig of Murcia was incredible too,and the gig of tonigh must be very good ,because the Razzmatazz Sala is a incredible place to play.

ahhh, and the suportter band of Madrid are called Ivony Ark or Ivony Dark i don´t know exactly,they are from Madrid ,and they are played sometimes at the radio program "El Paraiso de Radio 3" 93.0

PD:Somebody knows the exactly day the concert of "los conciertos de radio 3" are gona be showeed????

yeah, but i wasn't there... we only got some boring french guys.. (no offence to them,.. but could you please have some fun during gigs..? (edit: in between songs they were ok.. and before and afterwards too..)

Javier no regret said:
... the gig of Madrid i have heard is gona be played at Radio3 in the program "El Paraiso de Radio 3" ...

Wow!! I thoght they only had recorded the concert at Radio 3 studios yesterday morning. What time is broadcasted that program on radio 3 station?

May be we can find more information about the date of the recorded gig will be emited at Radio 3 website...

Yeah, I know Anathema's gigs are fabulous. But yesterday we had bad lucky in Madrid... Anyway, as I've said before in this thread, I've seen Anathema in other club, and it was the best concert I've ever seen.

marginalé said:
yeah, but i wasn't there... we only got some boring french guys.. (no offence to them,.. but could you please have some fun during gigs..? (edit: in between songs they were ok.. and before and afterwards too..)

You tell us that... Did you watch the show mate ? Or did you spend it drinking and talking to me non-stop ?

The radio program "El paraiso de Radio 3" is everyday at 11pm,but i don´t know if the concert will be released in this program, the speaker Carlos Pina sayd that they are thinking in make an special program of Anathema.They use to play songs of Anathema these days...
And "los conciertos de radio 3" are at 10pm to 10:30 pm.

Javier no regret said:
The radio program "El paraiso de Radio 3" is everyday at 11pm,but i don´t know if the concert will be released in this program, the speaker Carlos Pina sayd that they are thinking in make an special program of Anathema.They use to play songs of Anathema these days...
And "los conciertos de radio 3" are at 10pm to 10:30 pm.

They aired some shows in the past...
for example: Dream Theather, Staind, etc

We must keep our fingers crossed.

the only show that was recorded is the one they did in the morning (30 minutes setlist)... not the other one... as we said in lots of other posts there is no final date for the broadcasting of the show yet... youll have to wait

cedarbreed said:
You tell us that... Did you watch the show mate ? Or did you spend it drinking and talking to me non-stop ?

hé, i was in the front for the first 10 songs.. but hmmm hmm i wasn't alloud to dance!! IT'S A GIG YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
irritating people pushing their arms in my back and asking if i could stop jumping...

and it was waaaaaaaaaaaayyy to hot in there.. i never have seen so many people 'crashing' at the exit
haha, bastet, remember the guy who fell on the floor,...? did you heared the 'BANG' when his head touched the ground? whoowhoo

and exually,... you parisians weren't that boring at the metalfest, so ..

damn, that was a great gig again of Garden Of Decay :headbang:

marginalé said:
hé, i was in the front for the first 10 songs..
and it was waaaaaaaaaaaayyy to hot in there.. i never have seen so many people 'crashing' at the exit
haha, bastet, remember the guy who fell on the floor,...? did you heared the 'BANG' when his head touched the ground? whoowhoo
i only saw one breaklose song before going back to the exit doors . there it was at least a tiny bit cooler. long time ago i saw anathema from a distance .

and yes, that guy had too much,( heat and/or beer)
it was like wood on wood! ...bang!...:(