Votes: 5 15.2%
  • All 60s, 70s and 80s metal bands

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Metal with a certain 'old school' sound. Please name bands below

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Other I'll explain below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'd say bands with "a certain old school sound" too.

Basically bands from the 70's and 80's that share a common sound or time frame, as well as bands from the 90's and today that share a common sound:

70s: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Rush, Uriah Heep, Riot

80s: most of the suspects above, almost all NWOBHM, classic thrash bands, classic doom bands

90's: power metal bands (both Euro and American species)

today: Wolf, Enforcer, White Wizzard, Grand Magus, Black Tide (debut), Final Stage, Stimulans, many newer thrash bands and the retro movement (Ghost, Spirits Of The Dead).

I guess that old school also depends on your age. If you're 50 old school are the 70's, if you're 15 old school are the 90's and the 70's is the mesozoic era :p

P.S. Oh silly me, I forgot Sabaton

Glam is old school enough to me god damnit! But hell, even the 90s starts to feel old now. Alters Of Madness, Effigy of the Forgotten, etc...

I think all of the selections could be appropriate to an extent.

I can remember when I was absolutely floored by Tad Morose (Urban Breed/Daniel Olsson era, anyway.)I was also able to get others here into it as well, whether it was my utter excitement over it, or some of you just listened to it so I would shut the hell up about it..... or maybe a nice combination of both. ^___^ They were modern European power metal, but CERTAINLY there were strong elements of traditional metal on what they were doing. I would not label that band as "oldschool" but certainly I think many fans of oldschool metal would enjoy them.

Considering thrash/speed was twisted into form in the very early 80's, by bands like Metallica and Exodus, I would say that is "oldschool."

I cringe when I hear some songs from some of the "hair" bands from the 80's these days, but some of it still sounds good. A great deal of hair metal may be considered rock by many, but there has always been a big gray area on what is rock and what is metal anyway. I still like the first two Motley Crue releases as well. I also think similarly of those releases as I do the stuff like AC/DC "Back in Black." It ain't metal, but it's damned close and knocks my socks off.

As far as metal bands from the 60's 70's and 80's.... well, not much I can say about that. I personally prefer the 40's metal sound. Well.... heavy metal in the 40's was the "big band" guy who had to play the tuba. It was really only heavy metal to him though.....

Bryant

I would say 80's metal. That's the biggest turning point of the genre. Heavy metal, thrash, nwobhm are the old school genres of metal.

well here's how I look at it, old skool metal is the 70's with Sabbath, Priest and Motorhead etc. old skool Thrash is the 80's with Slayer, Metallica and the like, old skool Death Metal would be Sepultura, etc. I'm not a Death Metal fan so that's all I could come up with, lol

I'd define Old-school as "Anything pre-grunge" or that follows on from that tradition.

I can agree with that, a nice divider if you will, like pre Run-DMC and post Run-DMC in the hip hop circles, not that I would know, all of my Addidas have shoe laces in them, are you kidding I trip walking and chewing gum. ;)

Bands that sound similar to Priest, Dab, Maiden... From the late 60s-early 90s or new bands carrying that spirit.

I know you said similar to Priest, Maiden, etc... but just to be clear the likes of Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Motorhead did not come out till the 70's not the 60's