POLL: Your Favourite song off "Woods III"

What's your favourite song off "Woods III"?

• Northern Cold

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Iron Grudge

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Through Chaos and Solitude I Came...

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Years of Silence (& the Private Joke)

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Distractions of Living Alone

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Deepest Roots: The Belief that All is Lost

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Darkest Blues: The Relief that Nothing Can be Done

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Thrill of the Struggle

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • December in Windsor

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Trillium: The Third of Three Winters 2004-2007 (Instrumnental)

• Song of Redemption

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • End of Tradition

• To Lock Eyes with a Wild Beast

• Mistakes Artists Make (The Dream is Dead!!!)

• Total voters
Right on man, you get it! Obviously I knew there would be some people having a problem with a clean singing chorus and saying the words "black metal" in a "black metal" song (they do, they've already been e-mailing me about it, haha!), but that's us, that's WoY, and that song best represents our idea of what black metal can be and the source of our inspiration. :kickass:

Hell, more Black Metal bands should write songs about Black Metal. I really think that BM is much, much more than thin guitars, screeched vocals, tinny drums, etc. It really is a mindset and an atmosphere that can be created in any number of ways. Some of the "blackest" bands I listen to really have nothing to do with metal. Sol Invictus is a great example, they're basically a folk band, but its old european medieval-ish folk, but with apocalyptic/anti religious/moralistic lyrics and themes. 80% of the music is Acoustic, but its more black than most "tr00" black metal. In fact, its Black enough for Agalloch to cover - thats how I first heard about them. Kneel to the Cross on the "Of Stone, Wind and Pillor" demo.

Anyway, I'm rambling. One day I'll put all my ideas about BM into a big essay and post it here. I love BM, but I'm shit at music, so I turned to writing and thats what I'm good at. I've done a few in the past but they're not as good. They need some updating.

Edit: one more thing, on the subject of writing songs about black metal: there can only be one Venom, and there can only be one Nargaroth. Black Metal and Black Metal Ist Krieg are both hilarious, if not particularly good, songs, and should NEVER be really allowed to influence one's songwriting.

Some quick points.

Lyrics - Like the personal edge.

Vocals: Remind me of Skyclad with a tinge of Voivod.

Melody: Love the build up, riffs, bridges and choruses. All comes together.

December in Windsor is still one of my favorite songs on the album. My only small complaint about it is that it is too short. Every other song seems to be the perfect length but December in Windsor just seems to end. It might be just me though.

Darkest Blues: releif that nothing can be done is my favorite track so far, but the cd after that point really grabs me, i dont know why, maybe it hasnt clicked yet, but the first half doesnt have to much oomph for me yet.

After much listening and digesting, I finally put in my three: Ontario Town, Years of Silence, and Darkest Blues. The album as a whole is great, so it was really hard to try to narrow it down to just three. As far as individual songs go, I think those are the ones that grabbed me the most. However, my favorite moment with the album as a whole would probably be the middle block with Distractions, Deepest Roots, and Darkest Blues. Those three songs together.....I don't know...It feels(to me anyway) a bit like Act III of a Shakespearean play if that is not too corny a comparison. I don't know if that really makes any sense, but that was the impression I felt when I first listened to the album, I still feel that way when I listen to it now.

It is hard to narrow it down, but I still stand by my three also after much digesting, Ontario Town, Distractions, and Thrill. Ontario Town is just the catchiest song ever, and Distractions and Thrill are the most emotion filled, or at least the ones that tickle my little emotion underbelly the most, if you will, ha.

A guy from Italy sent me an e-mail recently telling me how he's digging W3. The title of the e-mail was "My Italian Town is a Burial Ground". (Sang that in my head for a moment) and I thought "Yeah, that would work too!" Fuckin' cool eh? It's universal! Just substitute your location for Ontario and you're rockin'! :)

Your North Dako-o-o-ta Town, is Burial Ground
Your Colora-a-ado Town, is a Burial Ground
Your Washington Town, is a Burial Ground
Your S'Carolina Town, is a Burial Ground
Check
Check
Check
and
Check

:kickass:

A guy from Italy sent me an e-mail recently telling me how he's digging W3. The title of the e-mail was "My Italian Town is a Burial Ground". (Sang that in my head for a moment) and I thought "Yeah, that would work too!" Fuckin' cool eh? It's universal! Just substitute your location for Ontario and you're rockin'! :)

it cant be - he lies
italy rules ... doesnt it? ... guys ? lol

quite a versatile song for sure tho DG