porcupine tree

jinks

All Mighty Overlord.
Apr 27, 2003
Vancouver, BC Canada
www.stjinks.com
Alright.. I see all you guys yakking about porcupine tree... I went to their page and didnt hear anything i really liked.. so give me some song titles i can look up ( some of your favorites or something )... so i can get a better opinion of them. Danks.

If you are strictly into metal, than you wont like much Porcupine Tree.. I however love the band. Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are their most pop oriented albums, the new one In Absentia has a heavier edge, but still quite mellow at times. I think it's great. Their real old stuff is like pink floyed to me.. really experiemental, a lot of long songs, with no vocals. It may take time for people to really understand or appriciate bands like Porcupine Tree..

However, as much as I like Porcupine Tree, and cant wait to see them with Opeth, I like Camel more :)

Just sucks I can't make it to one of the farewell tour gigs :(

Porcupine Tree is amazing. I got into them thanks to Demonspell's incessant promotion of this brilliant band. I would suggest following Demonspell's advice.

PT rocks my socks. My favs are mostly on In Absentia:

Waiting Phase 1
Blackest Eyes
Trains
Shesmovedon
Lips Of Ashes
Wedding Nails
etc etc etc...

Pt are Prog Rock, so if you are strictly into jjust metal, then they are not for your tastes, as people have previously mentioned :D

\m/

I just bout In Absentia and I can't stop listening to it. My definate favorite on the album is the instrumental "Wedding Nails"...damn it kicks ass. Other highlights for me:

Trains
The Sound of Muzak
Gravity Eyelids
Prodigal
Collapse the Light into Earth

Heart Attack in a Lay by.

As simple as that. If you don't like it, find the nearest busy street and jump into moving traffic. Honestly.

My other favorites off In Absentia: Trains, 3, Lips of Ashes, Collapse the Light into Earth.

EDIT:

Oh, and also anything off Signify. But, if you listen strictly to metal, then you won't be impressed. The easiest I could describe Porcupine Tree (well, their In Absentia sound) to a friend of mine who listens to more "mainstream" music was "The Bends era Radiohead". Only infinetely better of course ;) . I absolubtely love Porcupine Tree :Spin:

just all of In Absentia does it for me, that is the only album i've heard all the way through but I want MORE. Steve Wilson is nothing short of genious. I like a wide range of stuff though so it doesn't bother me at all for it to be less metal, but I like that the beginning of Blackest Eyes is a damn heavy riff. How does someone like Emperor and then have Trains be one of their favorite songs anyway?

*shrug*