Good examples of Porcupine Tree

Deadwing & In Absentia are all I've heard. I hear alot of similarities to Coldplay & Radiohead.

I've yet to hear anything in the ballpark of DeathMetal as Toucan mentioned. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here has a heavy moment, but certainly not DM.

Regardless I really enjoy them & will buy the other albums soon.

Jude said:
Dark Matter is probably their all-time best song...

I agree, so far to say that the song is outstanding - around 8 minutes of a beautiful build-up from a mellow start...to a staggering ending!

I just got that album (Signify) and a couple of days ago even Deadwing, Lightbulb Sun, Absentia and The Sky Moves Sideways.

Porcupine Tree is a great band to listen to... while you're letting the Opeth albums rest (just for a day or two!). :)

At the moment, I am not quite sure which album is better... In Absentia or Deadwing, but.... these two are their best, in my opinion.

The calm/mellow songs on In Absentia are better, but the heavier songs are better on Deadwing. The best recommendation I can give you is to just purchase both. ;)

PT is definitely a very versatile band. Listening to single songs will never give you a good idea of what they're like. All albums are great, download Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream if you can. They're out of print anyway.

It's a good thing with a band like PT when you cannot even be sure which album is their best. They keep somehow coming out with more excellent music...bring on the next album (2007)!

blimey said:
Trains is fucking amazing. Probably my favorite, aside from Arriving Somewhere.

EDIT: And Piano Lessons, and Pure Narcotic, and Don't Hate Me.. umm Stupid Dream is a great album. I like all of PT's stuff, only have Absentia, Deadwing and Stupid Dream, though.

Stupid dream is a great CD

Their newer stuff is average to good pop-rock, check out their older stuff like Voyage 34 and (my favourite) Up the Downstair. It's more progressive, maybe jazz-influenced, and pretty much more interesting.

I would not call their new stuff "average to good pop rock" at all.

For one, instead of average to good, try "amazing to insanely fucking awesome." And there are elements of pop to their music just as their are subtle elements of metal, trance, trip-hop, folk, etc. The best label (and it's not a good one) is progressive rock and that applies to pretty much all their material. The older stuff is more spacey and psychedelic, the new stuff is more "rock."

Disgustipated said:
Are you catergorising Voyage 34 as being akin to their other stuff, though?

I have Voyage 34, and I like it. But it's pretty much completely electronic, just so people know.
have you listened to a lot of old porcupine tree?? a lot of it is electronic. or has some psychadelic electronic parts.

Seems alot of people have heard IA and DW... have a listen to On the Sunday of Life... some of my favourite PT songs are off that album, however, it's def not everyones cup of tea :)

ham said:
Stupid dream is a great CD

Their newer stuff is average to good pop-rock, check out their older stuff like Voyage 34 and (my favourite) Up the Downstair. It's more progressive, maybe jazz-influenced, and pretty much more interesting.

Come on, even if you prefer their older stuff, there is no way the newer material is only 'average to good pop-rock'. In my eyes, the difference between older PT and newer PT is that newer PT is able to fuse more influences and styles within each album, while at the same time creating more coherent songs. Voyage 34 is a good listen....but it is generally pretty simplistic, and grows repetitive in its length. Up The Downstair is a genuinely great album...but i just can't agree that it is either more progressive or more interesting than the likes of Lightbulb Sun, IA or Deadwing. Very different flavours of PT, sure, but each with their own strengths.

Has anyone listened to Steven Wilson's Unreleased Electronic Music Vol. 1 thing? Much to my dismay it is infact rubbish. I really expected much more from that.