Porcupine Tree

There is nothing in the FAQ thread. If it is becoming an annoyance to some of the longer resident members, perhaps this should be addressed?

Both bands have benefitted from new fans because of their involvement. The subject, to me, is relevent.

I would probably not have heard of PT until recently had it not been for this. This happened to be the first PT album that I bought tentatively recently. I have just ordered another two. I am still trying to learn. I know they have their own website, but my interest was started from this perspective.

As a huge fan of Opeth, I was far more interested to hear what fans of the music I love thought than understanding that it was an influence.

I still read the PT threads with keen interest.

Jon Snow said:
^Some people are upset because of all of the PT threads lately.

haha god, some people around here are pretty dam lame then and have nothng better to do but whinge, yes its an Opeth forum but its obvious that Porcupine Tree relates to Opeth..

Sure it's relevant, but is it so relevant that the quantity of PT threads eclipse all the Opeth chatter? I understand people wanting to express desires, concerns, ideas etc. but it would be better if alot of the PT chatter was kept to one or two threads.

Moonlapse said:
Sure it's relevant, but is it so relevant that the quantity of PT threads eclipse all the Opeth chatter? I understand people wanting to express desires, concerns, ideas etc. but it would be better if alot of the PT chatter was kept to one or two threads.

Perhaps there should be some sort of "Official" Porcupine Tree thread. Sticky it and let there be peace!

Moonlapse said:

I take your point.

To be fair though, I find the Opeth stuff eclipsed by name calling more than by PT. One of the inevitable things about the forum though, I guess...

The number of PT threads of late is what is ridiculous. To see yet another one, this time so broad, makes me want to write to Steven Wilson and ask him to re-open the PT board.

nick, while you were out, this forum became PT's new home. i forgot to tell you. sorry. feel free to add another thread. just call it "PT".

I wanted to ask a question about PT here, but I didn't know if a new thread would be welcome. I figured because we all have Opeth in common, a valid assessment of the music could be made for me.

In any event, the local record store has some PT. What are they like? Progressive? How different are the albums? Heavy? Death vox anywhere?

sknight said:
In any event, the local record store has some PT. What are they like? Progressive? How different are the albums? Heavy? Death vox anywhere?

Yes, Porcupine Tree is straight up prog rock (for the most part). If you liked Damnation, you'll probably like PT. The albums are very different. For example, their earlier works (The Sky Moves Sideways, for example) tend to have much lengtheir, spacey instrumental tracks. Their last album, In Absentia has metal influences (no death vocals), and the album that will be released this spring is said to be along a similar vein.

Anyway, Porcupine Tree are definitly worth checking out, especially if you like Opeth.

Honestly, if you want to get into Porcupine Tree and want to ask what their heaviest album is, I wouldn't bother. It's simply not that kind of music. What you should be asking is what their best album is.

Since this appears to have become the official Porcupine Tree thread, does anyone know where I can download the new single from, aside from Soulseek or having to pay for it? I'm dying to hear it.