Portland and Seattle folk

Sacramento music scene is dead. The Artery Foundation has a complete stranglehold on any musical activity and scoops up pretty much any modern music that pops up. Too many people here that just aren't motivated enough to pick up an instrument and make something out of it. There literally are less than a dozen active bands that fall into this category that I feel are worth mentioning.

I'm in love with the northwest and feel it may be in my best interest and benefit if I leave here.

My question is- what's the music community like in these areas as far as activity/diversity/networking? Would either place be a better choice for someone like myself who would really like the opportunity to work out of a facility and out of home for recording? I know Aaron is out there In Seattle and Interlace and RainCity is in P-town. What's the engineering community like there as far as competition and things?

I'm in southeast PA and it's pretty good right now in the Reading/Harrisburg area. Plus the closer you get to Baltimore or Jersey it may a lot of hardcore kids, but they are there at least.