Portland Oregon concert Review

Geyzer60

Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Hey guys, I went to the Opeth concert at the Roseland in Portland, Oregon.

I thought the show was fantastic.

First up was Devil Driver, which I actually thought was decent. There were a few fans in the audiance so a small mosh pit formed. It was probably the most wild of the three shows. I managed to get one of the setlist pages from the set.

Next up was Moonspell. I actually heard Moonspell about a month or two before I found out about Opeth ages and ages ago. I remembered the song Alma Matter well. I thought they had a pretty good stage presence and good sound on stage. I managed to get... a cap of a water bottle from the singer.

Ah, finally we get to Opeth. During the first two songs their sound was a little off during the mellow peices, there was alot of reverb from the amps, but it sounded fine during the heavy parts. This was cleaned up during the Damnation songs and all the rest of their set sounded fine.

Mikael acknowledged that The Moor was a very difficult song and he forgot what other songs they were going to play tonight after finally finishing through that song because his mind was on it for quite some time.

I was happy to hear April Ethereal. Though during a peice at the end it sounded kind of empty, a little different from the cd version. The encore at the end was Demon of the Fall of course.

I managed to get a very cool Opeth guitar pick. Anyone who is going to one of their concerts should try to get one. They are green with the opeth logo on it and a signature on the back (Peter Lingrens) I dont think you can get them anywhere else either.

Well I've seen Opeth 3 times within a year so while I might be a little overloaded by them, this was still their best performance yet. Congrats guys!

Hey I was at the portland concert as well, what were you wearing/where were you at? anyways, the review (this is all my own opinion of course):

DevilDriver rating: 1/10

Two words: Fucking horrible...The singer's like 4 feet tall and his scream sounds like he's got a large slab of male genitalia lodged in it. I actually backed off the tile floor onto the side for them, for i didn't feel they deserved it. I will admit they did try to get the crowd into it...and the half the people did, which is sad in my opinion, but watever, the DD fans went up and had a blast, i saw a few opeth fans up there rockin to the shit as well, watever, i dont care too much. Anyways, their songs were heavy and thrashy and wat not, but i didn't really watch or listen to them too much, i was too entertained by the mosh pit. These two fucky crazy bald guys, one was realyl short the other decently tall (these guys were fuckin great, awesome ill tell ya) they were goin pretty crazy pushin people around. Classic: the short bald dude kinda shoves some guy who's rockin out kinda near the front and he gives the short dude a big push and he goes flying...so i'm interested and i see the bald guy go off somewhere, i can't see him anymore...bout 20 seconds later he comes flying through the middle and just hammers the guy...it was awesome...classic...anyways...

Moonspell 8/10
I had heard some of their albums and really wasn't sure wat i thought, the guys low voice (like at the beginning of opium) was quite strange and i didnt dig it too much...but live, it was pretty damn tight, their music was fun to get into and what not, i really liked Full moon Madness, their last song, that was pretty tight...I was worried that i pledged my soul to satan though cause he had this huge wooden staff with a skull on it that he'd pund on the groud durnig some drum beats and he lifted in the air and said something right during a tight part in the song, but i cheered, gave him the rock on sign and screamed a good "fuck yea"...so...cheers to satan or watever the hell was going on LOL...good show, i was impressed

Opeth 10/10

Lets start off with the negatives...Alright now onto the positives...Probabaly the best Set of music you could possibly think of, i'm sure u all know wat it is (drapery, moor, windowpane, timeofneed, april, deliverance, BWP, demon) something like that...absolutely amazing, they were virtually flawless in my ears (besides a few fuck ups by the sound tech, little feedback), I was going pretty crazy, in fact, typing about all i can do my neck arms legs and voice are basically screwed...yea...was a concert to remember i'll tell you that, i would've paid twice as much if not more to see that again...well...i'd have to skip devil driver ;)

after moonspell's performance one of them chucked me an unopened waterbottle, then i asked teh drummer for his drumstick and he came back with a freshly used one so i got that. I as right in front of peter lindgren basicaly...a little to his right, our left, i was going pretty crazy, so he gave me one of those black picks with the O and wat not...but yea...it was a fucking great night i'll tell you wat...Yea geyser where were you standing and wat were u wearing? o yea, and who said they were gona be wearing camos, cause i shared a few rock on moments with whoever had camos on up on stage

Yea, my pick is black with the opeth O and some kind of singature which i can't read on the other side lol...and now that i think about it...wat was the first song played? anyone at portland remember? was it drapery? i was screaming and going crazy im not even so sure anymore LOL...anywys, wat were you all wearing and where were ya at? i was over on the left side of the stage basically in front of peter lindberg, who by the way was fuckin awesome :)...

master's apprentice was first then drapery

i was a tall guy in a black tshirt and jeans about 5 people deep in front of lindgren

yea, i knew somethign was wrong, cause drapery was definetely not first :p...yea like i said i was a bit left of you up in the very front, dunno if u saw me or not, i was head banging hard core (i was wearing a grey beanie sometimes if i had it off i had poofy curly hair and had a water bottle i was fuckin aroudn with against the stage, also to my left was my friend, he has long straight hair and was doing some tight head banging too...i'm not srue if i saw u or not) i had a plain black shirt and jeans also...and had moonspell's drumstick in my pocket lol, o yea, i also had black tattoo like drawings on my left forearm

I was there...here's my take...on a KILLER night!

We got there at about 8:15, afraid that we'd miss Moonspell since we've gotten there on time and missed the opener before at the Roseland (that shit really pisses me off) Well, too bad for us..the show started on time and DevilDriver opened. We went upstairs when they started playing...you know...to give it a chance. We lasted through 2 songs and went back downstairs. Definitely NOT my bag! The worst part about it was the fans they attracted...complete idiocy(I will explain my comment later in this post). Devildriver, 2/10.

Then Moonspell came on. They OWNED! If you like these guys at all this was definitely a highlight of the night. Great stage presence and tight as hell! Now for my "why the Devildriver fans sucked" explaination. Moonspell is different, very atmospheric goth/metal combination. I think they are a great band (especially after last night!) But the Devildriver fans were yelling "you suck" and "get off the stage" shit between songs. What kind of shit is that? These guys have been around for about 12 years...they are metal veterans...they came clear from Portugal to perform for us Americans and those jackasses had to disrespect them like that. They didn't seem to care..and at one point the lead singer said, "We have a saying in our country, Eagles don't bother with the flies" looking right at those assholes...I cracked up! Good one! We got a chance to talk to them after the show and they were commenting on how it doesn't seem like there are many Goth fans in the U.S. and how the crowds here are a lot more violent then they are in Europe. We said it was probably because of who opened for them. Then they said they thought Devildriver was a pretty good band, but they didn't care for the fans they attracted. We just laughed. Very cool guys and a great performance! I'm picking up as much of their catalogue as I can...and soon!! Moonspell, 10/10

Now for Opeth...as always...godlike! Lopez was back in perfect form and tight as ever with the band! The set list was the best yet and they pulled off The Moor PERFECTLY! Mikael pretended like he was wiping sweat off of his brow when they were done playing it, as if to say "whew!" Some idiot yelled, "No more of that mellow shit" and Mike looked at him as if to say, shut the fuck up moron..and laughed. Later in the set they had some trouble with the drum set, so Mike decided to play "Free Falling" by Tom Petty on his guitar while they were fixing it. He said that was their "just in case something happens song" everyone laughed, including him. He's really funny on stage sometimes. Always cracking jokes and having fun with the audience. Highlight of the night for me, Blackwater Park! I never thought I'd get to hear that one live..it's one of their heavier songs and very complex but they were flawless! All in all and EXCELLENT experience! Can't wait till they come back! Opeth, 10/10

i liked it when some guy yelled "not the stool!" and mikael said "oh i was going to play chapel of ghouls by morbid angel acoustically but i guess not..."

damn stool...either way Opeth was absolutely amazing :worship: my neck is sore, there was alot of this: :headbang: going on i'll tell you that! I almost wanna buy another ticket and fly to cali and see another show, ha

I was located at the very front row, a little to the left of Mikael. Gray cargo pants, and blue hoodie. Haha I didnt fit in at all.

I saw alot of people with camo pants MindInsane, but didnt see anyone with a porcupine tree tshirt.

I thought it was great when the guy in the back yelled "smoke weed" and mikael said "shut up bitch". Great show. I couldnt have asked for a better setlist. Blackwater Park was amazing.
I was on Peter's half of the stage....probably 3 people back....in the chicago bears hat.