Chicago show Review

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Amazing concert not many other ways to describe it. I got there at about 5:30 after parking in some lot for 6 bucks which was actually a pretty good deal. I was about 100 or so people back and by the time I got in the front of the floor was already full so I just took a spot on the side of the floor that was raised up a bit. Awesome view from over there. Moonspell started at 6 which I think was a half hour early by my watch, they aren't my favorite band but they weren't terrible either, a descent opener. Devildriver was next and I really couldnt get into their music at all, I couldnt stand them quite honestly. However I just kept my mouth shut and leaned against a post for the whole set, gave em a little applause at the end. Sure they arent my type of music but whatever, I'm sitting in the audience and they are on stage opening for Opeth so they deserve some props I guess. A lot of people boo'ed em and chanted stuff, haha and one guy in the front row turned his back to them and refused to turn around for the whole show. Devildriver singer kept yelling stuff at him. I saw Mikael in the balcony all the way at the top looking with a kind of disturbed look on his face though when the whole devildriver/guy with back turned drama was going on. Later when Opeth came out he asekd everyone to basically keep your mouth shut if you dont have anything nice to say, that its fine if you dont like them but respect them at least. So finally devildriver was done and OPeth took a good half hour to come out then it was an amazing show. Same setlist as always, some funny stuff I've forgot here and there. Highlight of the night for me was probably blackwater park or april ethereal. Hell of a concert, one of the best I've been too.

i couldnt agree more, i thought that dez ( i think thats the lead singer of DD ) spit on the guy, it looked like it from where i was. but i couldnt get into them at all either and the funny thing was that just about all the Opeth fans weren'e doing anything while DD was on stage. and all the other dd fans where going nuts. but i ended up getting up in the front and center during Opeth so i was please, though my friend got Mikes pick ( that bastard ) but it was a really badass show, and i got an autographed blackwater park cd so it was cool. Id say Blackwater Park and The Moor where my 2 highlights of the night.

Amazing show to say the least... I'm not really familiar with Moonspell, but they seemed to be ok. A little repetative, but at least they weren't Devildriver.

Ahhh... Devildriver. What can I say? Trying to be objective here, I agree with the whole fact that, yeah they're just doing their job, they're opening for Opeth blah blah. They should get some kind of respect for that, but I don't really think so anymore seeing how they reacted to the "Guy who turned his back on DD," who happens to be one of my best friends and who I went with to the show. He doesn't like DD, therefore he turns his back on them. I "kind of" did the same thing (there was no room to turn) and so did a couple other people. It's not like it's anything new... having people turn their back on a band that they don't like. What made me lose what little respect I had for DD was the fact that instead of just being confidant with their music and seeing it as one person's opinion, they instead go and curse at him, throw water bottles at him and all that other bull. That's just rediculous. And he didn't even do anything... he was just standing there. He didn't boo them or say anything stupid. He just stood there. He wasn't hurting anything. Other then maybe Dez's feelings. Read this. Relate that to DD and this whole back turning and Dez ranting thing. That's all I have to say about that. Just my humble opinion. Feel free to disagree.

The show kicked ass otherwise... April Etheral killed and Blackwater Park gave me a headache from the headbanging. And Mikael keeps getting funnier and funnier everytime I see them. The way he introduced the band was great. Seeing The Moor played live was timeless. I'll always remember that.

Yeah Dez came off as quite the moron. "FUCKIGN FUCK SHIT mOTHER FUCKER GET IN THE PIT!" K that is exagerrated, but he is still quite the moron. I also found it funny when they got quite a bit of boos when the radio guy came on and said give it up for devildriver. They don't belong on this tour. Anyways, Opeth was incredible. The Moor and Blackwater Park were highlights. the soft melodic section in the moor was innncredible. Blackwater Park was just brutal. Outstanding band, outstanding show.

hahaha, oh yeah and Mikael introducing the band was quite funny too.

well, i got there a little after 6:30, when the show was supposed to start...and it turned out to be moonspell's last song...so that kinda sucked. then devildriver came on. music wasn't toooo bad, sounded together at least. then the lead singer kept on talking shit to the crowd, especially giving shit to the guy who had his back turned to him -- fuck him, and his insecure self. i almost had respect for him until i saw how he reacted to the part of the crowd that didn't like the band. if i had a louder voice i woulda told him to shut up, finish his fuckin set and get off the stage. oh well.

opeth finally came on...goddamn what horrible sound! i don't know where the rest of you were, but i was in the middle area towards the back, and the sound was just attrocious. the first time i saw them play at the hob, the sound was the best i'd ever heard, for any concert, any venue. 2nd time, quite a bit worse, but not too bad...this time is was just terrible...i couldn't stand it. mikael mentioned something about the PA dying a little later, and for lorenzo (?) to "shape up", so i'm guessing they felt the same way. it was way too loud, the guitars had too much low end, and whatever else i couldn't figure out what was wrong. i hope that never happens again. as far as their actual performance -- very good, like usual. i like how there was more interaction; mikael seems more confortable now w/the crowd...nice how he introduced all the members w/the wrong names. awesome performance, i just wish i could've enjoyed it w/better sound. get the sound guy from the 1st US tour! just my opinion on tonight =)

Erunantalon said:
I was front and center... right on the guardrail in front of mike. I was wearing a damnation tour shirt. Where were you standing exactly?
i was squished between my freind and some big guy in the 2nd row or so. i had a children of bodom sweatshirt on, and when demon of the fall came on a couple people left and i got a little closer.

also i was seriously ready to yell out to dd, play some fucking solos or melodies, oh my god that was just soo shitty how there wasnt any at all....

That show was great and DevilDriver was horrible. I laughed my ass off when Dez was cussing out that guy that turned his back to the band. Dez is such a fag. Opeth played great but I agree the sound was a little fucked up. Also, I was really close in getting one of Lopez's drumsticks. The thing hit me in the head. Damn, I got to pay more attention. Anyway, it was a great show and I can’t wait to see them again.

UsefulIdiot127 said:
I saw Mikael in the balcony all the way at the top looking with a kind of disturbed look on his face though when the whole devildriver/guy with back turned drama was going on. Later when Opeth came out he asekd everyone to basically keep your mouth shut if you dont have anything nice to say, that its fine if you dont like them but respect them at least.
Good for Mikael. People that do stupid shit like that at shows deserve a smack in the fucking mouth. It IS fine if you don't like the band, but don't be disrespectful like that. I will say Devildriver was probably not the best choice to tour with, but people need to be a little more mature about it then that. The ultimate way to show them you don't like them is to go hang out in the bar while they play! Anyway I'm going to see Opeth for the sixth time tonight and I hope people in our crowd don't act like idiots when Devildriver plays...

You chicago fans are fn nuts! Lol. First you pelt fred durst with beverages and now you disrespect dez. Lol. Its funny and all that but i'd have to agree with triump apostle. If you dont like the band go to the bar. No need in disrespecting a performer. Maybe the bookers next tour will allign opeth with some more suitable bands. Class of Zero? WTF!!!

im gonna have to agree with Triumphant Apostle about the guys in the front turning their backs to devildriver. That was way out of line. I'm not a fan of theirs, but i was headbanging along. Its bad metal, but i guess its still metal. I thought they showed a lot of disrespect to Opeth for doing that. We could all wish for better bands, but don't be assholes like those guys. At least it made the experience better for me, as I was yelling shit at those guys with a couple other people.

metalheadtimmy said:
im gonna have to agree with Triumphant Apostle about the guys in the front turning their backs to devildriver. That was way out of line. I'm not a fan of theirs, but i was headbanging along. Its bad metal, but i guess its still metal. I thought they showed a lot of disrespect to Opeth for doing that. We could all wish for better bands, but don't be assholes like those guys. At least it made the experience better for me, as I was yelling shit at those guys with a couple other people.
Not to mention the fact that it pissed off Mikael..Way to go guys :rolleyes:

Triumphant Apostle said:
The ultimate way to show them you don't like them is to go hang out in the bar while they play!
Then we would have lost our prime spots right on the gurd-rail in the middle! And I sure as hell know I'm not going to miss out on getting to see Opeth from the best spot in the house because of Devildriver...

The sound was horrible for at least half the show. I had to move off the main floor because I couldn't take it. Sounded better by the side bar.

I agree that people shouldn't diss other performers. I went upstairs and drank at the bar and watched on one of the TV's.

And I was really interested to see Moonspell., But they started way early what the fuck is up with that??

Triumphant Apostle said:
Good for Mikael. People that do stupid shit like that at shows deserve a smack in the fucking mouth. It IS fine if you don't like the band, but don't be disrespectful like that. I will say Devildriver was probably not the best choice to tour with, but people need to be a little more mature about it then that. The ultimate way to show them you don't like them is to go hang out in the bar while they play! Anyway I'm going to see Opeth for the sixth time tonight and I hope people in our crowd don't act like idiots when Devildriver plays...
Too, bad Devil Driver did not in return be mature, but threw a huge tantrum on stage. Surely it would be fine to say all this, and have respect for everyone, but once Dez started acting like a child my respect for him was gone.

In Fact if he ignored it or acknowledged it with a " Do what you want, but we're here to play." or something along the lines, and if he acted dignified the way Mikael would probably have acted, I would have a lot of respect for him. Instead he throws a fit.

CladInDarkness said:
Too, bad Devil Driver did not in return be mature, but threw a huge tantrum on stage. Surely it would be fine to say all this, and have respect for everyone, but once Dez started acting like a child my respect for him was gone.

In Fact if he ignored it or acknowledged it with a " Do what you want, but we're here to play." or something along the lines, and if he acted dignified the way Mikael would probably have acted, I would have a lot of respect for him. Instead he throws a fit.

Agreed, he was acting like a little kid it was ridiculous. I still found it really funny how he acted.

It was me on the facing away from DD. I simply did not want to listen to their music or watch their show. I had a book with me so I pulled it out and started reading. And I'm not going to go to the bar because I'm only 18, and I'm not going to lose my spot because of DD. It's not like I was shouting obscenities or anything you know. I don't think it's so disrespectful to face the other way. Big deal. And I was pretty sure it was Peter and not Mike up in the balcony though.

Best songs were April Ethereal and Blackwater Park. I did think the sound could have been better. The drum sound was bad. Way too much cymbals. I was pleased that the crowd didn't turn into assholes during the Damnation songs.

I know UsefulIdiot127 is Andy, but who are the rest of you guys who know me?

Nah Im not talking about you lol even though i think he noticed you too, but this guy was in the front row who dez was yelling at the whole time. Obvioulsy you wouldnt know that since you had ur back turned anyways lol. The guy in the front row refused to look and the singer starting acting immature back spitting and stuff.

yeah i'm with the last few posters. if dez woulda ignored the booing and whatnot, or even just made a small comment like what cladindarkness suggested, he woulda had my respect...i personally didn't think they were all that bad -- not music i would ever go out and buy, but for the time being to watch it was fine. but jesus, what a baby. those of you chastizing chicago fans...i guess chicago is just a different breed heheh...i wouldn't have it any other way.

the sports fans here are the same...if you have someone good like jordan, urlacher (except last year i guess), sosa, everyone loves them. but if you have someone screwing shit up (john shoop), everyone hates them, yells obscenities at them (http://www.firejohnshoop.com), and as whole tries to run them out of town. basically, if you deserve praise, you will get it! if not, don't expect us to console you.