Portnoy left DT

If any of you are on DTF, this is PlaysLikeMyung

I'm in complete and utter shock at this announcement. DT without Portnoy just... doesn't seem like DT at all :(

I really hope this is just a phase and he returns to DT.

Probably not though... looks likely there won't be a new DT album to look forward to :(

SX, hurry up and get your album out so I know at least that's coming.

Next I'm expecting Myles Kennedy to leave Alter Bridge after their album

Wow, damn. This is shocking news indeed. I sometimes think I have a curse that causes bad things to happen with bands I like(and with other things outside of music), and between this and Roy Khan being sick, things are only getting worse for me. This is terrible, and I'm really not sure if I want the band to continue after this, I like Portnoy too much, so listening to them without him would be tough.

Maybe this is why the new album is taking so long, maybe Rullo was invited to fill his shoes and he told Symphony X to fuck off! Just saying...

On a serious not though, love portnoy, but he is overrated. I do think DT wont be DT without him, however I have a strong feeling Portnoy being gone will change the musical direction for the better.

EDIT: On a side note, maybe if he decided to play a regular sized kit, instead of showing off he wouldn't be so burnt out!

I agree with many Dream Theater fans out there- it was time MP left! I've been the biggest DT fan for a very long time and it was disheartening to see and read many of MP comments in regards to his other projects. Don't get me wrong, I agree that an artist needs to branch out but they also need to remember where priorities and commitments lie when it concerns their main project/band/business.

Dream Theater will continue, their music will carry and I believe in the "band/ team" concept. With the exception of Rush, all band members are replaceable because it's about the music, the band and most importantly- The Fans!

Dream Theater will Prevail!:kickass:

Well, Rudess has put out a statement saying that the band still has plans to go in the studio in January and tour after that, so on that note, I'm more excited about what they'll do with out him than I am sad that he's gone.

I don't really care because DT offered so little after Scenes From A Memory but hey, it's about time something gave with them is all I can say.

Mike Portnoy's drumkit:

GetInline.aspx

So he wanted to take a break but the rest of the band didn't so he left.

Well as Prismatic Sphere wrote, they didn't really make anything noteworthy after SFAM. Then again SFAM is one of the best albums ever made.

I guess it's a little sad.

It does suck, but the other players in DT are awesome at what they do..

I will just act as if I never knew who DT was until after this.. maybe that will help.. if I can even do it.. :(

Guy's being completely honest. If he doesn't want to be in the band, leave the band. Good for Portnoy for having the sensibility to walk away.

I'm with proul on this one, hopefully it changes DT for the better (or at least makes them listenable again).

Portnoy was the wrong one to leave the band in order to make them listenable again (I'm looking at you, LaBrie, and Rudess to a lesser extent).

I'm a little confused how the band is still going... wasn't Portnoy the one who called all the shots? Wouldn't this be like Steve Harris leaving Maiden? Oh well. Maybe now Myung can get some of his ideas in.

The news saddens me, but I am looking forward to see if Dt goes back to a more progressive feel.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a nightmare! At least Transatlantic is good...