Portnoy

Obtuse

Feb 4, 2008
Vancouver
Sorry if this has been discussed already...

So I was surfing roadrunner this morning, and I saw Portnoy's posted a PN blog on the website, and I found this...

"There is also something very cool and special in store for fans of DT and Opeth, but I am not able to talk about it just yet….but stay tuned….. : )"

Seems pretty exciting to me, whatever it is! What do you think it is?

well mike + port + steven wilson are supposed to have been collaborating on something for quite some time now (search forum archives for old threads), maybe this is it?

Portnoy is a bit overrated IMO. He was an awesome drummer back in the day, but now he's a bit... predictable, I guess is the word I'm looking for.

A Mikael + Wilson + Hoglan project would be fuck awesome, though! I'm still looking forward to the project with Portnoy, though, because the other 2 guys are so amazing, so it has to turn out good no matter who's drumming.

of course he's alive. check out his myspace ^_^
now that syl is dunzo, hes.....doing something else. still destroying. portnoy owns him though : (
but they are two of the very best. the only better drummer than portnoy and hoglan is.....well....me!

And anyway, do NOT hate on Portnoy. I'm not a Dream Theater fan, but that guy has chops.

If you were a DT fan, you might be able to understand what I'm talking about. I'm not denying that the guy has mad skill, but he's just gotten really damn predictable over the course of his career. After Scenes From A Memory, I could predict practically everything he'd do on every song on every album they've done the first time listening.

He's really impressive if you just listen to DT every now and then. If you used to worship them, though... it just sounds like he's going through the same old motions now.

Maybe he's livened things up, though. I didn't even listen to the last DT album, I've gotten so sick of them...

well mike + port + steven wilson are supposed to have been collaborating on something for quite some time now (search forum archives for old threads), maybe this is it?

This IS it. That is also the only details on the project that we are privy to at this time. I too would like either portnoy or wilson (or both) kicked for someone from another band, but hey.

What cracks me up is when Portnoy acts like it's his side project. It's Mike and Steven Wilson's, Portnoy just volunteered himself for it and they let him.