PoS - Scarsick samples!

Man, I must have listened to this song like 5 times already. Looks like I'll definitely be picking this up, if its gonna wind up being as good as Remedy Lane and TPE1 were. (I thought BE was utter garbage)

And lyrically its quite smart, I think. Not so much America bashing as it is saying "you have a great legacy, now don't fuck it up." Which PLENTY of us American citizens feel as well.

That was more poppy than I'd expect from Pain of Salvation, but as usual there's much more going on beneath the surface, this band has a way of making their most musically difficult songs very infectious (Fandango, Rope Ends, etc.) Not disappointed at all, and I hope fans pay attention to the lyrics that aren't "I'm sick of America."

Great cd on that avatar! :headbang:

I was surprised lyrically with the song, a couple of digs, but I agree with Matt's assessment. I was gnashing my teeth ready to spew venom, but I don't have to. I'll definately grab this as a promo and check it out. I don't agree with it being as good as Remedy Lane, or TPE1. ;)

J-Dubya

This was posted in the Remedy Lane forum by Nomade. A bit of a warning, for those who already not like Pain of Salvation (why are you in this thread to begin with?!) the message might appear a bit pompous.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
InsideOut Music

After the complexity of their previous album “Be”, Pain Of Salvation have returned to more conventional arrangements with their latest offering “Scarsick”. At the same time, the new album from this gifted Swedish band is a modern, original piece of work and, as is to be expected, it’s as varied as ever before.

According to Pain of Salvation mastermind Daniel Gildenlöw, all of the band’s previous releases must be looked at in context in order to understand the idea, message and direction of their latest album “Scarsick”. He says, “I always knew that this album would be born sometime. On our earlier records, perhaps more so on ‘Be’, we touched on socio-critical topics, songs about psycho-social aspects and questions about life in general. ‘Scarsick’ is a direct response to that”.

Gildenlöw is not just the vocalist, guitarist and (now) bassist for Pain Of Salvation, he is also the band’s central initiator. He writes the songs, conceives the lyrical concepts and realises his ideas in co-operation with band members Fredrik Hermansson (keyboards), Johan Langell (drums, vocals) and Johan Hallgren (guitar, vocals). Gildenlöw carries around ideas and fragments of music in his mind over long periods of time in order to realise them as compositions in a process that is a kind of mental liberation. “The material for ‘Scarsick’ circulated for quite some time inside my body and mind. It was around the time of ‘Be’ that I noticed it would find its way into the outside world. It took some time until I had found the structure for this album but then it all came very quickly. The lyrics and the music all merged into one complete whole”.

There are so many surprises on “Scarsick”, why should it be any different? “This is part of the concept behind Pain Of Salvation”, explains Gildenlöw. “The fans would certainly be very disappointed if it were any different on ‘Scarsick’”. One particular track that stands out is the rather unorthodox “Disco Queen”, with its provocatively danceable groove and references to an era when people like John Travolta were the face of disco. “This number continues the idea of earlier pieces such as ‘In The Flesh’ or ‘Ashes’ (from ‘The Perfect Element Part I’), which dealt with abuse and prostitution. ‘Disco Queen’ doesn’t deal with physical abuse but with the prostitution of the soul and its principles. Together with ‘America‘, ‘Disco Queen’ is certainly one of the most unusual songs on ‘Scarsick’”. Pain Of Salvation get to explore their musical boundaries to their fullest potential on this album. A song such as “America” has an outright pop feel with a chorus that instantly grabs the listener and pulls them in.

Ten new songs with a total running time of over 60 minutes show Pain Of Salvation displaying a new, revitalised creative force. The music is dense and atmospheric but at the same time it’s amazingly modern and varied, like something you’ve never heard from the band before. Gildenlöw is proud of this new creation as he describes, “The great thing about ‘Scarsick’ is a kind of inner logic. On earlier POS albums you could have changed the track listing here and there without noticing too much but this isn’t possible on ‘Scarsick’. Each piece reveals its full expression in this precise sequence and at the same time each song can stand alone on its individual strengths. It’s an intriguing sonic adventure!”

Since the foundation of his first band Reality back in 1984, Daniel Gildenlöw has pursued his concept of progressive rock music in which he has continued to push the genre’s boundaries. At the end of the Eighties, the line-up eventually evolved and by 1991 had become Pain of Salvation. Following the addition of Gildenlöw’s younger brother Kristoffer on bass, the band produced their debut album “Entropia”. In 1998, the band presented their second release “One Hour By The Concrete Lake” to critical acclaim. After tours with Threshold and Arena in 2000, the Swedes released their third conceptual piece “The Perfect Element Part I“ and in 2002 this was succeeded by Gildenlöw’s most personal album yet, “Remedy Lane”. The stylistic closeness to Dream Theater, led to a tour with Portnoy & Co. as well as an invitation to Gildenlöw to participate in the all star Transatlantic project with Mike Portnoy. With the acoustic live album “12:5”, POS showed their diversity by proving that they could not be pigeonholed. “Be” became a musical pinnacle for Gildenlöw as he managed to unite not only progressive rock with metal and classical music, but also elements of folk and gospel while showing a reverence for the song writing and playing technique of the Sixties and Seventies. Now “Scarsick” looks set to open up a new and exciting chapter for this unique and talented band.

This was posted in the Remedy Lane forum by Nomade. A bit of a warning, for those who already not like Pain of Salvation (why are you in this thread to begin with?!) the message might appear a bit pompous.

No worries. For a promotional write-up -- and lord knows I've read more than a few -- that was remarkably tame. I've read some that made the band sound like the Second Coming. :heh: