Paradise Lost Samples

I think Zach's way to make the ignore list public to everyone is a very polite way of ... ignoring people. :worship:

I might some day try to put someone on the ignore list. Can one ignore himself? :lol:

I think Zach's way to make the ignore list public to everyone is a very polite way of ... ignoring people. :worship:

I might some day try to put someone on the ignore list. Can one ignore himself? :lol:

It's not really passive aggressive so much as it's my reminder to not get pulled into drama. I still read a good portion of the posts. But it's great :D

Eh, Mesa Boogie is for the inaccurate shredder with all of the wet sound you can get on it. Not that I disagree on the Marshall thing.

wow.....that's not accurate at all (the mesa boogie thing....totally agree about the marshall sentiment), but okay.

Marshalls have a time and place just like any other sound, but nowadays with so much on the market that is an improvement on the british high-gain marshall tone, the biggest thing Marshall has going for them is their name/reputation, which was established in a time when they didn't have a whole lot of competetion (most of which wasn't as widely available or known). There are players that get some great sounds out of Marshalls (i.e. Eric Johnson). The rhythm sound on the new album doesn't sound 100% Marshall to me (if at all), but it sounds good so I'm glad he used whatever he used (be it marshall or whatever else)

Welcome Mr. Mantis Warrior! I agree 100% with almost everything you've posted, but you knew that already! :heh:

I don't think Marshall's are overrated, like anything else, you just have to find THE one that suits your ears. I ditched Marshall for Mesa in 2000, after 15 happy years. It would not surprise me if MJR's tone comes from layering both his tried & true Triax, along with his Vetta (II?). No matter WHAT he plays through, it still will always sound like MJR...

J-Dub!
:kickass:

Marshalls seem to come across well on-stage, and in the studio.
That's why people still use them, even though there are about 1,000 new
amps out there now.
MESA certainly makes some very nice stuff that many pro musicians are using these days.
Everyone loves the Road King. Romeo has been using the TriAxis for years.
Lotsa Rectifiers out there.
Mesa makes the newer "Stilleto" line of tube amps, which are supposed to mimic
the old classic "Marshall" sound a little bit. They have EL34's in the power section.
As we all know... you get plenty of "tone" in the power section of a tube amp.
I haven't heard any of the Stilleto amps, so I have no idea what they sound like.
I doubt Romeo used the VETTA on this new album.
I would be surprised if he did. Line-6 shit doesn't seem to translate well in a studio mix, from what I hear.
I have a feeling much of his "new-and-improved" tone is the result of better studio recording/engineering.
A good recording engineer who actually KNOWS "metal guitar tone" can squeeze all the potential out of the process.
It's all about knowing how the guitar tracks sit in the overall MIX.
I am highly impressed by the production quality of the new Symphony X album.
They did a GREAT job on this one.

AMPS are like BEER.
There are SO MANY of them out there... and they all have their own unique "flavors".
Most tube amps need to be "cranked" to get the best TONE out of them.
This is not practical for practicing in your house.
I really like the tone I get out of my little SS Roland Cube-30.
It sounds great at low volume levels, and it was only $200.
I rarely play my 50-watt all tube halfstack anymore.
It's just too loud for practicing with in the house.
:zombie:

For CLEAN tones, it's still hard to beat a Fender Twin-Reverb, or a Roland JC-120.

~Steve~

Before I add you to my ignore list, I must say "A fig for you sir."
Marshalls seem to come across well on-stage, and in the studio.
That's why people still use them, even though there are about 1,000 new
amps out there now.
MESA certainly makes some very nice stuff that many pro musicians are using these days.
Everyone loves the Road King. Romeo has been using the TriAxis for years.
Lotsa Rectifiers out there.
Mesa makes the newer "Stilleto" line of tube amps, which are supposed to mimic
the old classic "Marshall" sound a little bit. They have EL34's in the power section.
As we all know... you get plenty of "tone" in the power section of a tube amp.
I haven't heard any of the Stilleto amps, so I have no idea what they sound like.
People use Tube Amps because of the fact that they have that vintage feel that you hear in the old Rock n' Roll bands. Not because they go over well on stage. I've played tons of live shows using tons of different amps, and they all came through exactly the same. People don't choose amps because of how they cut through.
And the Stilletto series sound nothing like Marshalls. Pretty much all Mesa amps sound the same, just priced differently. And I've played most Mesa amps on the market also.

I doubt Romeo used the VETTA on this new album.
I would be surprised if he did. Line-6 shit doesn't seem to translate well in a studio mix, from what I hear.
I have a feeling much of his "new-and-improved" tone is the result of better studio recording/engineering.
A good recording engineer who actually KNOWS "metal guitar tone" can squeeze all the potential out of the process.
It's all about knowing how the guitar tracks sit in the overall MIX.
I am highly impressed by the production quality of the new Symphony X album.
They did a GREAT job on this one.
First of all, you should just be shot in the face. The entire purpose of Line 6 amps are to come through well in the mix. Also, Romeo's been on the edge of a Line 6 endorsement for years. I don't think he's gonna go back to playing a Mesa any time soon. Especially because the Vetta goes above and beyond what a Tri-Axis could ever dream of. And I'm saying this as a proud Vetta owner, and I'm not just talking out of my ass like you are.
About the engineering part, whether an amp is digital or not, that doesn't effect how the sound waves resonate and reflect off the walls of the studio, nor does it effect the way a mic'd cab picks up the sound of the amp.
And if it's all about how well the guitars sit in the mix, and listening to the last 3 Symphony X albums, I'd say that Line 6 equipment sits over pretty fucking well in the mix.

AMPS are like BEER.
There are SO MANY of them out there... and they all have their own unique "flavors".
Most tube amps need to be "cranked" to get the best TONE out of them.
This is not practical for practicing in your house.
I really like the tone I get out of my little SS Roland Cube-30.
It sounds great at low volume levels, and it was only $200.
I rarely play my 50-watt all tube halfstack anymore.
It's just too loud for practicing with in the house.
:zombie:
For CLEAN tones, it's still hard to beat a Fender Twin-Reverb, or a Roland JC-120.
~Steve~
The only thing I've agreed with in this entire post is your statement of the Fender Twin-Reverb.
And I love how in your comparison, you COMPLETELY ignored pointing out how Digital and Solid State amps sound at low volumes. My Vetta sounds AWESOME low, and even better loud. If anything, a better amp would be more flexible like that.

*ignore lists Mantis Warrior*

Romeo's been on the edge of a Line 6 endorsement for years. I don't think he's gonna go back to playing a Mesa any time soon. Especially because the Vetta goes above and beyond what a Tri-Axis could ever dream of. And I'm saying this as a proud Vetta owner, and I'm not just talking out of my ass like you are.

MW is not a dumbass, nor is he talking out of his ass. Time will tell what was actually used in the recording of PL. I'm a Line6 owner myself, and while they are decent amps for the buck, IMO NOTHING beats real tube tone. Line6 has grown in leaps & bounds with amp modeling but they have a long way to go before they can make the solid state & tube tones indistinguishable. It's all apples & oranges, that's why there are so many amplifier companies doing well out there....

I love how in your comparison, you COMPLETELY ignored pointing out how Digital and Solid State amps sound at low volumes. My Vetta sounds AWESOME low, and even better loud. If anything, a better amp would be more flexible like that.

*ignore lists Mantis Warrior*

I wouldn't go THAT far, no need to ignore someone over THIS. Once again, it's like choosing which brush to start painting a picture. Some like the digitized solid state sound, and others like the sound of vaccum tubes being pushed to the limit, and beyond. While the volume issue may be more practical with a solid state amp, it doesn't mean one amp is definitively better than the other. It's ALL about tone. IMO, nothing beats tubes, NOTHING. Need a Midol, Ptah? :Smokedev:

I wouldn't go THAT far, no need to ignore someone over THIS. Once again, it's like choosing which brush to start painting a picture. Some like the digitized solid state sound, and others like the sound of vaccum tubes being pushed to the limit, and beyond. While the volume issue may be more practical with a solid state amp, it doesn't mean one amp is definitively better than the other. It's ALL about tone. IMO, nothing beats tubes, NOTHING. Need a Midol, Ptah? :Smokedev:

He certainly DOES need a Midol, but the whole ignore feature rules over everything i must say. Try it out on me JayDub. I bet your life will be much less stressfull :lol:

Hey,

That's cool if Ptah disagrees with some of the things I said in my previous post.
Everyone has their preferences and opinions.

I'm glad he is happy with his VETTA.
The "Vetta" models are Line-6's flagships. Romeo uses one on-stage, and he sounds great.

Once you decide on "tube" vs. "solid-state", you still have a thousand choices to pick from.
In the end... a certain amp won't make you PLAY any better!

Great musicians have told me over the years that "tone" comes from the "fingers".

Maybe Ptah would disagree with THAT statement, too.

:loco:

~Steve~

C`mon... you guys are so easy to piss-off, it ain't even a challenge!

I was told there were alot of crybabies over here.
Damn... that was an understatement!

:dopey:

~Steve~

The entire purpose of Line 6 amps are to come through well in the mix.

Ummmm.... NO.

The entire purpose of Line-6 amps is: MASS MARKETING.

I've been to a few professional recording studios in my time, and I never saw
a single Line-6 amp in ANY of them.

I seen a few POD XT pros, but the recording guys tell me the Marshall JMP-1 preamp SMOKES the POD XT.

I don't really care, I'm not brand loyal, and I am not all that interested in getting into a heated war over whose gear is the best.
Gear is gear.
It all makes noise!

~Steve~
( oh, I forgot... nobody is paying attention to my posts anymore. I am on everyones "ignore list". )

:lol: