Possible visit to Australia July 2013

gnoff

Feb 10, 2003
Göteborg, Sweden
twitter.com
I posted this on another forum, but thought I might as well post it here as well, see if I can get answers from different sources ;)

---
Land Sydney July 10.
Going to Brisbane July 18
Going to Melbourne July 24
Going to Geelong August 1
Going to Tassie August 3
Fly back to Sydney August 10
Fly back home August 11
---

So to you Aussies out there, and others that have visited the continent down under.

I am sort of planning, or at least hoping, to visit Australia next summer.

I am looking at spending July and perhaps a week or max two more, about 4 to 6 weeks or so.

Will for sure go to Melbourne and Sydney, also thinking to go to Tasmania.

What do you say, how long would you need in each of these places?

What other places should I visit if this turns out to be my only visit?

Do I have enough time to head over to New Zeeland as well, or should I stick to one country on this trip?

I have a mate I'll likely be staying with in Melbourne, but do you know of any places in Sydney and Tasmania (which I know nothing about really) where you think one can stay fairly cheap and still safe enough? I don't mind sleeping on a couch or in a hostel if it is safe enough to leave my stuff and a decent way of getting around by public transport or walking etc.

I'd gladly take tips on how to best move inbetween the different places/cities as well, though no driving since I like to drink on my vacations, also I refuse to drive on that weird side of the rode, every time a car goes into a roundabout in the UK and I'm in the car I shut my eyes and scream like a girl...

So what am I after on my vacation?
Well everything beer related. Visit breweries of different sizes, brewers, home brewers, beer personalities, pub and micro and macro breweries, best bars, try as many beers as I can etc.
Perhaps visit a hop farm if possible?

Also interested in trying local food, meeting people, going to metal places.

I am interested in walking around in cities, as well as in nature, but I don't like to spend 4 hours looking at one building, I'm more of walking by and saying "oh, so that's how it looks like" and then walking on.
For example, did all of inner London's sights in one day mainly on foot, then we still had time to hit the pubs.

Well, that's a lot of questions and stuff to start off with, lets see what kind of answers I get ;)

Cheers

A word on travelling interstate in Aus, unless you've got around 12+ hours to kill, you're flying to each place. It is a large continent and well spread out.
If you're into breweries, I'd head to South Australia. Coopers is brewed there and it's my favourite beer.
Staying in Sydney is easy with heaps of hostels that are all fairly well looked after. I'd probably consider staying at The Abbotsford in Newtown, means you're close to central Sydney - Newtown is the 'cool' place to be at with metal gigs etc and it's quite cheap. There's a place in Balmain that has around 100 tap beers, but I cant think of it currently.
If you want nature, you could go to the Blue Mountains, if that's the case, I'm happy to take you around (it's where I live). We can train it, pub crawl most towns and see the sites.

So...
I'd spend a week in Melb, a week in Syd, split a week between Tas and Adelaide (SA), then travel to NZ for a week. You've then two weeks to pick your cities to go back to.

Hey man well you are more than welcome to crash at my house I have a Bungalo out the back. I live in Geelong which is 10 minutes from the Great Ocean Road so get your arse to google and GOOGLE that! Thats all I really need to say. Beautiful.

Other places of course Melboure, easily AUstralia's best city. Tasmania is awesome so I would suggest that. If you are here only for that short amount of time I would only suggest Australia. But if you are never planning on coming back well you can NEVER miss New Zealand. Unbelievable country! Very much like Norway

Cool, tanks mate!

Very loose plans as of the moment is Sydney - Brisbane - Melbourne - Tasmania

about a week at each place.

Geelong doesn't seem to be that far from Melbourne though, could be alble to work that in as well :kickass:

Oh yeah, Tasmania, if for no other reason....

Im-Cradle-Mountain-Nationalpark-Tasmanien-Australien.jpg

tasmanianwilderness.jpg

300px-Tasdevil_large.jpg

*sigh*

can't wait until i get to scare you with all the spiders that will come out at night and try and kill you when you're staying here haha!!

clint: gnoff has said he'll stay here but i've already told him that we'd be heading down to phillip island/the coast as well. maybe we should do a big meet up? bring the kids as well. make a couple of days of it. i've already let him know i'd be taking a week or so off work to show him around melbourne etc.

Don't freak me out too much, I might just go to northern Sweden instead and battle the reindeers :D

Hahaha. Don't forget to share the video!

How about getting familiar with spiders?:) Just in case you want:

Last edited by a moderator:
noooo thank you!

Spiders = not to be on gnoffi!

in 2011 when we were driving down through the Everglades we stopped at this place that had birds and snakes and aligators and what not, I held anything and everything they handed be, part from that huge ass spider, I backed the hell away with my hands on my back then!

Well, actually I can understand you.
If it comes to cockroaches, hell, don't cry like a girl then, but nearly swoon.

Australia is very safe by travellers standards so feel at ease booking a trip.

Tasmania is well worth a look, especially for the beer fan. Cascade Brewery is the oldest in Australia, and Tasmania is also home to James Boags, and has ties to James Squire (one of the countries oldest and finest), and many micro breweries. There are also some great ones around Melbourne and Victoria (Mountain Goat and Holgate being my favourites), and I'm sure more in NSW but I am not familiar with that area. I would also consider working in a visit to Queensland while in Aus. It boasts a completely different, tropical climate, and some amazing island beaches, as well as access to the Great Barrier Reef. As mentioned above though, don't underestimate travel time between states and even cities. Australia is a massive place.

ifvnv8.jpg

See.