[OT] planning to visit israel

Nostalgiaplatz

So why not moving?
Dec 20, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yesterday I saw a documentary about an american-jewish community in Israel and some of the surrounding communities and a bit of their daily lives, it just inspired me to make a trip-visit to Israel. Is there any place you would recommend to visit? any city in particular? Also, one of my concerns is that, after some reading... I landed up on something that kind of took away my will to visit this gracious land, that is Yahoo Answers: Is it safe to visit israel? can anyone give some advice, as some other answers other than the one chosen 'best answer', seem to indicate that it's not that bad, if you know where you're standing, which isn't the case for basically anyone visiting Israel.

Hello Nostalgiapltz- you have come to the right place to ask your questions. And also landed with the right person- if I might say so.
Well, it makes me happy to see more people want to travel to Israel nowadays. I have been a frequent traveler to the country since 2004 and find there is only one thing you need to be warned about: this country is beautiful and when you go there you will fall in love with it!
Ignore those sites with warning. I guess they date from another periode (2002-2003) when there was the 2nd intifada going on. You will find Israel beautiful, multi cultural, full of good food and high living standards.

I love to write a lot about Israel and give tips, but since you are not the first to come in this forum with this question, please go and read this thread:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/orphaned-land/465429-yay-im-going-israel.html

Some of the info has changed a bit- as I found out after our recent trip to Israel (one month ago) and things are not changing for the better: some places I see being ruined because of tourism. Such a shame!

Now if you have any questions ( good hostels, how to travel), don't hesitate to ask me. I'm sure there are more people in this forum who will have nice tips for you.

Eej Morticia, Ik ben Nostalgia! I guess that kind of sums up my dutch speaking skills. Let me go thru all the links you kindly provided and come back to the thread (possibly in the next days) after I have diggested them - thanks a lot for the intro :)

wow gonzo, that's pretty cool! if you need any help with any dutch just lemme know on msn :)

hey fella! Thanks for the offer, I'll sure take it, once appropriate. I have been considering learning German, so Dutch could come next or the other way around, depending on which one I find the most resources online first ;-) [offtopic within an offtopic]

Morticia NL said:
I'm your Dutch tourguide to Israel At your service ma'am

Thanks for the links, especially the other thread back in March on this forum. I hope the chap who lost his job was able to find a vacancy in Safed. Now I am truly convinced I want to visit Israel, a few questions are in order:

Language wise, how well established is the English language?

Are you currently in Israel or planning to visit it in the near future?

I am yet to find the companies flying from Ireland, UK or Portugal to Israel and prices for those.

How cheap is life over there? Would 1week be cool enough to sight-see around?

I need to dig-up on the kinds of food they cook there, as most of the times I have a difficult time finding the things I like :)

Hope these aren't too difficult questions. I was also curious as to what kind of things are being ruined because of tourism?

Thanks for your prompt help, greatly appreciated!

Nostalgia

Thanks for the links, especially the other thread back in March on this forum. I hope the chap who lost his job was able to find a vacancy in Safed. Now I am truly convinced I want to visit Israel, a few questions are in order:

Language wise, how well established is the English language?
Very well.

Are you currently in Israel or planning to visit it in the near future?
Answering for her: visit planned early next year depending the annoucement date of an event from a popular Israeli metal band (i.e. if an ORwarriOR release party is announced :D ).

I am yet to find the companies flying from Ireland, UK or Portugal to Israel and prices for those.
In normal cases, all national companies are flying. Still some companies with a changeover are "known" for having good prices sometimes (Swiss Air for example). Search the net, as well for low cost ones.

How cheap is life over there? Would 1week be cool enough to sight-see around?
Still "cheap" compared to some European places, but less and less in some cities like Tel Aviv...
One week is not enough, but you can still visit the major places.

I need to dig-up on the kinds of food they cook there, as most of the times I have a difficult time finding the things I like :)
You can find everything. Meat, Veggie, Arabic, Turkish, Libanese, Eastern Europe, Mc Donalds...

Hope these aren't too difficult questions. I was also curious as to what kind of things are being ruined because of tourism?
The Dead Sea was the most recent example I saw. The desert of salt in Ein Guedi was just... removed... So all the beautiful salt sculpture you see on the guide books, forget about them.

Very well.
Answering for her: visit planned early next year depending the annoucement date of an event from a popular Israeli metal band (i.e. if an ORwarriOR release party is announced :D ).
(...)

Hi BC-A, Thanks for the answers! Very very welcomed :)

yep, 1 week isn't enough ! If I can give you an advice, visit Akko/Acre. It's a beautiful and peacefull place. :)

Hi Ollo-San, All advice is welcome, yours is not excluded! Thanks Ollo San! I'll do some search on Akko/Acre. I like places where you really feel that kind of peaceful/quietude mood.

I think for a first introduction a week will do. You are sure to return after that -trust me. Essential: Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Safed, Akko- maybe Haifa and this you can travel in one week.

Hi Morticia, I guess 1 week will be just about what I need to get my feet wet. There's a tiny chance I may not feel adequate for several reasons, so I'll just take it cautiously, though with strong will to visit and explore.

I hope I can benefit from your sight-seeing guide offer Morticia, as to get some kind of loose sight-seeing experience, I prefer to visit places in an ad-hoc manner rather than sticking to a route. I've been a half-baked guide to quite a few people who visited me in Dublin in the past and if you would like to visit Dublin, I am be happy to guide around the rather small circuit.

Nostalgia

You are right- I always like to plan a bit and leave the rest up to chance. But this is not the best thing to do when you have only one week to travel. And when you go to places like Safed, Haifa and Akko you will find that locally there is not nuch arranged for tourists. So you will mostly have to figure it out by yourself. This is exactly what I like so much, because it goes to show the place is not totally swamped by tourists yet. Though we did find Jerusalem 'infested' with American tourists in october. (sorry to US peeps here, but if you've seen the Americans there, you would understand what I'm saying- for years they were afraid to come and now they act like with them the saviour has arrived a they know it all)

It would be wise to draw up a travel schedule in advance- not to waste any time trying to figure it out when you are there. Because even though Israel is a higly modern country- it is still the Middle East! So not everything is as 'organised' as us Europeans are used to. You could for instance check the busses www.egged.co.il and try to find the best route. I would say: Tel Aviv-bus- Tel Aviv Yafo-bus- Jerusalem-bus- Dead Sea-bus-Safed-bus-or try to connect to train-Haifa-train-Akko-train-Tel Aviv.
> there is no train yet between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem
> traveling by bus is cheap and very comfortable (tourbusses with airco on long routes)
> make sure you are on time to purchase your ticket ( can most of the time also be bought with driver, but they don't always speak English)
>check out where to stay in advance and book in advance, I have a good tip for you for Jerusalem.

Invest in a good travel guide- buy lonely planet or something like that. It is more expensive, but way better than the cheaper ones. Plus makes a good read on long bus hours! Those guides give much more info on the country itself besides just the 'highlights'

OK- hope to have helped a little more:loco:

I am storing all this with the likely probability of travelling through Israel at some point of time in my life. Congrats mate :D Hope you enjoy the place.

P.S.

The Israeli family that I've mentioned a couple of times here, spoke highly about Ein Geti [gedi?] . They literally sounded stumped when they described the oasis. Have any of you'll been there?

I have been there. It USED to be beautiful- like you were on another planet. Salt desert landscapes on the Dead Sea. When we were there last October I was totally upset to find they removed most of the salt crust and stones covered in salt crystals on the coast of the Ein Gedi spa ( cause that's what we are talking about- it's a spa on the Dead Sea coast) I was really apaled at how they can to something so destructive to such a unique place!

Here are some pictures from years ago:
deadsea2.jpg

deadsea3.jpg

deadsea4.jpg

deadsea1.jpg

deadsea5.jpg

deadsea6.jpg

deadsea7.jpg

deadsea8.jpg

Not especially Lebanese stores as far as I can see, but I don't know everything. Or do you mean restaurants? Lebanese food can be found everywhere, since the food culture of Israel represents the roots of its people, who came from everywhere. Don't forget about falafel which is like the number one snack!

Maybe you will recognize something here. This is the typical thing you can eat everywhere in Israel. We were at the Aboulafia restaurant, which is an excellent restaurant which is located in the main street of the Arab quarter just outside of Jaffa. It's the street where the clocktower stands. On the other side of the street is the very famous Aboulafia bakery.A lot of people go there at night to grab a quick snack, like after you have been to a club or something.

So here is the food: (and this was only the entree! the meal was yet to follow)

foodattable.jpg