Post a time signature and a song to go with it.....

Lethe78

Expired candle
Jan 19, 2002
New Hampshire
Visit site
Ok this may seem stupid, and if so, I apologise... however....

I am really good with music, especially since I have never received a single lesson. However, time signatures confuse me. I am finally, after 10 years of playing, STARTING to comprehend them. I was hoping that each person could post a time signature, and then a song or two in which that time signature could be found. I would seriously appreciate any help, for I really would like to understand them completely, and I feel that this is the easiest way.

I posted this originally in Opeth Off Topic, but there was not much help there, lol....

7/4
alice in chains - them bones
dream theater - erotomania
pink floyd - money

6/8
metalica - nothing else matters

4/4
ah almost everything
in flames - episode 666

that should do

Let's see:

Symphony X-The Accolade- Some of the time signatures you can find on this one are 9/8 (the song starts in this sig) 4/4, 7/4, 16/8, 3/4, 6/4, 7/8... if I remember well those are all the changes on this song (I can't be arsed right now and check again hehe :p)

Symphony X-Canglelight Fantasia- 3/4, 4/4, 2/4 and I think that's all.

Symphony X-King Of Terrors- 4/4, 7/4, 8/4 and there's more but I don't remember :p

Symphony X-Lady Of The Snow- 4/4, 2/4, 3/4

I think that's enough time signatures for now ;)

Check out Dark Tranquillity - The Dividing Line, they have some crazy time changes in that song. (6/8,7/8,8/8,9/8)

Could someone explain what the heck the difference between a 2/4 and 4/4 is anyway? I mean you could easily write a 2/4 as 4/4 and vice versa. So when would you write something as 2/4 and when as 4/4?

Originally posted by Mattias of the Night
That doesn't answer my question. Come on maaan, I'm an ELITE musician, studying at a music institute, duud, I think I would know the info on this site, man!

Being an ELITE musician, shouldn´t you know the difference between 2/4 and 4/4, then?

a lot of it has to do with how the rhythms are divided... if it's a choice between thinking in 2/4 vs 4/4, i'll tend to think in 4/4 with the following exception: isolated measures of two that are between measures of other time signatures.

For example, I'll have some 7/8 groove going that leads into a 5/4 part. As a transition, I might have two beats of some unison fill. THAT is a measure that I'll think of as 2/4.

The differemnce is also in accented notes.

In 4/4 you have the first note accented, in 2/4 you have also the first but if you put 2/4 in 4/4 the third note would also be accented.

Thanks dudes!

Sic: if YOU'RE so elite, which I'm sure you're implying when saying that I'm not (which I am, so it's a lie!), then you would have explained it to me with a valid answer, thereby proving your eliteness. Therefore you are not elite, since you didn't. But I am!

Dave Matthews Band - The Dreaming Tree - 7/8
Dave Matthews Band - Rapunzel - 5/4 Intro, 4/4 Main
Dave Matthews Band - Kit Kat Jam - 5/4
Dave Matthews Band - Fool to Think - 9/8

Mattias: NAHA! I never said that you weren´t elite. Thus, I was not implying I be elite, and therefore not required to provide a valid answer.

@Lethe: You should have looked through the Musicians Discussion section like, maybe, a month or two ago (Or before they deleted old threads) What's with deleting old threads, anyway?

But I started a thread called "Let's Discuss Time Signatures" and managed to get around 50 responses; all really helpful stuff. It was quite a discussion and a lot of songs with different time sigs were discussed.

I should have tried to keep it alive because I wouldn't mind re-visiting it... but oh well... maybe another good discussion will spark again...