Post your The Best Of Edge Of Sanity Playlist.

Dan Swanö

The Watcher
Nov 3, 2001
www.swano.com
Hi guys.

I am thinking about putting together "The Best Of Edge of Sanity"
I will remix as much as possible, the rest of the material will have a nice beefing up from remastering. I need to crosscheck my own personal preferences with the real world fans. So please post your own list and I will use this as a reference for the final playlist.

Mine will be something like:

(In chronological order)

TALES... 6:06
IMMORTAL SOULS 3:35
THE DEAD 3:54

ENIGMA 7:02
COLD SUN 2:53
WHEN ALL IS SAID 6:00 ??

LOST 4:35
THE MASQUE 6:38
SACRIFICED 3:50

UNTIL ETERNITY ENDS 3:30 ??
ETERNAL ECLIPSE 3:30???

TWILIGHT 7:51
SILENT 5:06
BLACK TEARS 3:15

HELL IS WHERE THE HEART IS 5:27
15:36 4:54
LOSING MYSELF 3:38

from Cryptic..???? 10:00

Crimson 1 "the best of" 25 min.
Crimson 2 "the best of 25 min.

the total playing time must be under 150 min. (double CD)

wikipedia have almost all the playingtimes if u need them.

:kickass:

I cant come up with an accurate list right now but I will list my absolute fave EOS songs which I reckon should be on it

Enigma
Hell Is Where The Heart Is
Inferno
Losing Myself
Twilight
Of Darksome Origin
Silent
Elegy
Velvet Dreams
The Sinner and the Sadness
Darkday
The Masque
Sacrificed
A Serenade For The Dead (would be cool as an outro to the whole thing)
Invisible Sun
Hell Written (from cryptic ofcourse)

Nice! I actually think it'd be better to skip the Crimson songs, since they should be heard in their entirety, then you could have more focus on diverse songs from the different albums.. My five cents:

1. Edge Of Sanity - Tales (6:02)
2. Edge Of Sanity - Human aberration (3:34)
3. Edge Of Sanity - The dead (3:50)

4. Edge Of Sanity - Enigma (7:01)
5. Edge Of Sanity - In The Veins/Darker Than Black (4:38)
6. Edge Of Sanity - Nocturnal (5:30)
7. Edge Of Sanity - A Curfew For The Damned (4:27)

8. 04 - Edge Of Sanity - Lost (4:34)
9. 05 - Edge Of Sanity - The Masque (6:38)
10. 07 - Edge Of Sanity - Jesus Cries (4:48)
11. 08 - Edge Of Sanity - Across The Fields Of Forever (6:07)

12. Edge of Sanity - Twilight (7:50)
13. Edge of Sanity - Of Darksome Origin (5:01)
14. Edge of Sanity - Black Tears (3:13)
15. Edge of Sanity - Velvet Dreams (7:08)

16. Edge of sanity - Until eternity ends (3:58)

17. Edge of Sanity - 15:36 (4:54)
18. Edge of Sanity - Forever Together Forever (4:27)
19. Edge of Sanity - Losing Myself (3:37)
20. Edge of Sanity - The Last Song (5:32)

Hm.. that gives you about 100 minutes, so now you can put One of the Crimsons on it too! :D
Or like you suggested, half of the two... maybe the A-side of I and the B-side of II?

Some other tips and ideas; get a really stylish looking cover.. none of that Evolution crap. And put a nicely summed up biography in the booklet. How and why you changed your style so much etc..

Dan,

thanks for taking up my etire morning with this... not very cool! :)

working on the track listing now, but I do second Cerebus unless Crimson I (Crimson II sounds fine), but unless CI would be on there in it's entirety I'd leave it off. A Crimson I re-mix\re-master release would not hurt.

Disc 1

Nothing But Death Remains
Tales... 6:06
The Dead 3:54
Epidemic Reign (Parts I-II) 7:22

Unorthodox
Enigma 7:06
Epidemic Reign (Parts III-IV) 8:28
When All Is Said 6:53

Spectral Sorrows
Lost 4:35
The Masque 6:38
Across The Fields Of Forever 6:07
Sacrified 3:51
Waiting To Die 3:11

64:11

Disc 2

Until Eternity Ends
Until Eternity Ends 4:02
Eternal Eclipse 2:53
Bleed 2:08
Invisible Sun 3:02

Purgatory Afterglow
Twilight 7:51
Blood-Colored 4:01
Black Tears 3:15
Velvet Dreams 7:11
The Sinner And The Sadness 3:07

Crimson
Murder Divided 3:17

Infernal
Hell Is Where The Heart Is 5:26
Losing Myself 3:38
Burn The Sun 6:30
The Last Song 5:33

66:48

Total Time 1:10:59

Epidemic Reign - Mix I & II to make one track and the same with parts III & IV.

Invisible Sun - Can be delted to avoid paying out any royalties.

Murder Divided - Remaster from the Original mix (Also appeared on Japanese version of Crimson so it was on a valid EOS release and not just a compilation track).

Cryptic tracks & Crimson II ... I'd say leave these off because neither were recorded with the "classic" EOS line-up.

Also there is about 19 minutes still open ... didn't want to overload one album verse 3 songs from the first two and 6 from Spectral (just example).

Tracks that are a MUST: Eternal Eclipse, Sacrificed & 15:36

1. Tales... 6:06
2. Maze Of Existence (Epidemic Reign Part I) 4:17
3. Enigma (The Blessing - Celestial Dissension - The Loss Of Hallowed Life) 7:06 including 'the unorthodox' as intro just all one track
4. In The Veins / Darker Than Black 4:42
5. When All Is Said 6:53
6. Impulsive Necroplasma (Epidemic Reign Part II) 3:05
7. Nocturnal 5:36
8. Darkday 4:28
9. On The Other Side 5:43
10. Lost 4:19
11. Everlasting (Epidemic Reign Part III) 5:34
12. Silent 5:06
13. Of Darksome Origin 5:02
14. Twilight 7:51
15. Cold Sun (Epidemic Reign Part IV) 2:54
16. Blood Colored 4:01
17. A Serenade For The Dead 2:45
18. Blood of My Enemies 3:29(bonus cover song)

25 minutes from crimson
25 minutes from crimson 2

Hello Dan (i'm that doctor buying Nightingale t-shirt online ;-) and everyone in the forum,
This is my first post and a nice place to start :) So here is my fave EoS songs:

1- The Dead
2- Enigma
3- The Masque
4- Sacrificed
5- A Serenade For The Dead
6- Until Eternity Ends
7- Invisible Sun
8- Twilight
9- Of Darksome Origin
10- Black Tears
11- Velvet Dreams
12- 15:36
13- Hell Is Where The Heart Is
14- Losing Myself
15- The Last Song

-Burak-

You know thinking about it again... I'm sure that Black Mark wouldn't mind paying you tons of $$$$ to sit down and completely re-mix & re-master the entire catalog. Capitol Records paid Dave Mustaine handsomely for the Megadeth catalog re-mix\re-masters. No reason Black Mark wouldn't throw you the same chunk of change to do the EOS catalog.

Dan Swan&#246 said:
Hi guys.

I will remix as much as possible, the rest of the material will have a nice beefing up from remastering. I need to crosscheck my own personal preferences with the real world fans. So please post your own list and I will use this as a reference for the final playlist.

Mine will be something like:

(In chronological order)

TALES... 6:06
IMMORTAL SOULS 3:35
THE DEAD 3:54

ENIGMA 7:02
COLD SUN 2:53
WHEN ALL IS SAID 6:00 ??

LOST 4:35
THE MASQUE 6:38
SACRIFICED 3:50

UNTIL ETERNITY ENDS 3:30 ??
ETERNAL ECLIPSE 3:30???

TWILIGHT 7:51
SILENT 5:06
BLACK TEARS 3:15

HELL IS WHERE THE HEART IS 5:27
LOSING MYSELF 3:38

from Cryptic..???? 10:00

Crimson 1 "the best of" 25 min.
Crimson 2 "the best of 25 min.

the total playing time must be under 150 min. (double CD)

wikipedia have almost all the playingtimes if u need them.

:kickass:

Your own list is very, very good, and I think in particular you picked out precisely the best songs from Infernal.

The only thing I would add would be Elegy from Purgatory Afterglow, and perhaps Across the Fields of Forever.

From Cryptic, Demon I is the best song. If you re-recorded it, it would probably rock.

If I could "add" to that list, it would be:

Elegy
Across the fields of forever
Demon I (since you want a Cryptic song)
Elegy (the shorter song from Evolution)

And I'd take the question marks off Until Eternity Ends, that song kicks fucking ass.

My full list would be:

--------
Twilight
Silent
Black Tears
Elegy
Velvet Dreams
15:36
Losing Myself
The Last Song
Until Eternity Ends
The Masque
Across The Fields of Forever
Lost
When All Is Said
Cold Sun
Curfew For The Damned (most hilarious song name ever)
Demon I
Elegy (Evolution version)
--------

And for Crimson... go with the first half of Crimson I, and then just shift into the second half of Crimson II. I think that would be really fucking cool.
=)

Dan Swan&#246 said:
Hi guys.

again the feeling of "I need to finally change the sound to how_it_was_meant_to_be" has risen? :D Like a parallel project to the "Nightfall Overture" - Album?

Why don´t you remaster complete albums instead? (Too much work I would suppose..) As for Crimson II, I think it´s so perfect, it feels strange to have it as part of a Best-Of. But I´ll see if I can point out my favourite parts. =)

I must admit I haven't heard the Cryptic and Infernal albums, but I'd really like to give my thoughts on this matter.

I agree with Cerebus that both Crimson albums should be heard in its entire, so I'd leave those off the album. I never just listen to a part of the albums, I always play the whole thing.

My favorites:

Tales... (6.03)
Human Aberration (3.35)
The Dead (3.50)

Enigma (with The Unorthodox mixed together) (7.43)
After Afterlife (4.37)
When All is Said (6.53)

Darkday (4.27)
Lost (4.34)
The Masque (6.38)

Untill Eternity Ends (4.02)

Twilight (7.51)
Blood-Colored (4.00)
Silent (5.05)

Xack said:
You know thinking about it again... I'm sure that Black Mark wouldn't mind paying you tons of $$$$ to sit down and completely re-mix & re-master the entire catalog. Capitol Records paid Dave Mustaine handsomely for the Megadeth catalog re-mix\re-masters. No reason Black Mark wouldn't throw you the same chunk of change to do the EOS catalog.

If possible, this would make much more sense than doing a 2-disc "best of" CD. We already have "Evolution" which is a similar type CD. Also, because it wouldn't make any sense at all to include "sections" of the Crimson discs, the other albums would have too much representation for a Two-disc "hits" CD.

Hey, I know. Maybe Dan should just make another EOS album? :heh:

Human Aberration 03:38
The Dead 03:54
Immortal Souls 03:35

Enigma 07:06
Dead but Dreaming 04:04
When All Is Said 06:53

Darkday 04:28
Lost 04:35
The Masque 06:38

Twilight 07:51
Black Tears 03:15
The Sinner And The Sadness 03:07

Hell Is Where The Heart Is 05:26
15:36 04:54
Forever Together Forever 04:27
Losing Myself 03:38

From Cryptic..... I don't know, I would put some Moontower :D

As for the Crimsons, I think the first half of Crimson and the second half of Crimson II would be cool

Tales
The Dead
Immortal Souls

Enigma
A Curfew For The Damned
Dead But Dreaming

INTRO
Darkday
Lost
The Masque

Twilight
Silent
Elegy
Velvet Dreams

Until Eternity Ends

Damned By The Damned
Burn The Sun

Bleed You Dry ? I guess....i dont have that album so i dont know :p

and as for Crimson...I think your idea will work. Best 25 minutes of each one. But its hard when you like all parts :)

--------"The Last Song"----------- offcourse the ultimate last song!

I think "Losing Myself" is very good song, but in my opinion i think it fits better with Nightingale since its on the 10th anniversary album.

You rock Swanö('s)

TALES
THE DEAD
ANGEL OF DISTRESS

ENIGMA
NOCTURNAL
A CURFEW FOR THE DAMNED
DEAD BUT DREAMING

DARKDAY
LOST
THE MASQUE
ON THE OTHER SIDE
SACRIFICED

UNTIL ETERNITY ENDS

TWILIGHT
OF DARKSOME ORIGIN
ELEGY
VELVET DREAMS

HELL IS WHERE THE HEART IS
LOSING MYSELF

HELL WRITTEN

Human Aberration
Angel of Distress

Enigma
When All is Said

Lost
The Masque
Sacrificed
Jesus Cries
Across the Feilds of Forever

Twilight
Silent
Black Tears
Elegy
Velvet Dreams
The Sinner and the Saddness

Until Eternity Ends
Invisible Sun (Police Cover)

Forever Together Forever
Hell is Where The Heart Is

Divide the rest between Crimson and Crimson II

Naglfar said:
Your own list is very, very good, and I think in particular you picked out precisely the best songs from Infernal.

The only thing I would add would be Elegy from Purgatory Afterglow, and perhaps Across the Fields of Forever.

From Cryptic, Demon I is the best song. If you re-recorded it, it would probably rock.

If I could "add" to that list, it would be:

Elegy
Across the fields of forever
Demon I (since you want a Cryptic song)
Elegy (the shorter song from Evolution)

And I'd take the question marks off Until Eternity Ends, that song kicks fucking ass.

My full list would be:

--------
Twilight
Silent
Black Tears
Elegy
Velvet Dreams
Losing Myself
The Last Song
Until Eternity Ends
The Masque
Across The Fields of Forever
Lost
When All Is Said
Cold Sun
Curfew For The Damned (most hilarious song name ever)
Demon I
Elegy (Evolution version)
--------

And for Crimson... go with the first half of Crimson I, and then just shift into the second half of Crimson II. I think that would be really fucking cool.
=)

totally agree with your about everything except the thing about C2
IMO it should have less of C2 because it's the latest and 3 years is relatively new.
Now I got an idea, how about making a 3-cd compilation when the 3rd cd is a concert DVD(kind of like Katatonia's Black Sessions), I know there wasn't
much of EoS after 97 and C2 was pretty much Dan some guys not from the original band but if there's some old full length show and some clips from shows from 2003 i think it would make a decent 1 hour dvd. it's strange there was no dvd released by EoS all those years.
another idea is having C1 and C2 remixed and remastered in 5.1 or the new 7.1 Dolby surround and released released on the same DVD but without putting any crimson(1 or 2) material on the cd's. but i guess it's too much work.

paradoxile said:
totally agree with your about everything except the thing about C2
IMO it should have less of C2 because it's the latest and 3 years is relatively new.
Now I got an idea, how about making a 3-cd compilation when the 3rd cd is a concert DVD(kind of like Katatonia's Black Sessions), I know there wasn't
much of EoS after 97 and C2 was pretty much Dan some guys not from the original band but if there's some old full length show and some clips from shows from 2003 i think it would make a decent 1 hour dvd. it's strange there was no dvd released by EoS all those years.
another idea is having C1 and C2 remixed and remastered in 5.1 or the new 7.1 Dolby surround and released released on the same DVD but without putting any crimson(1 or 2) material on the cd's. but i guess it's too much work.

Well, I was just saying IF he wanted to put in 20 minutes of Crimson 1&2, it would be coolest if he started with the old one and morphed into the new one.

You're right that C2 is pretty new and probably doesn't benefit that much from being included, but it was also the band's swansong of sorts, and at least as an Edge fan I treasure that spectacular epic as a final EoS album to the core of my heart. I know the other guys didn't play on it, but leaving at Cryptic / Evolution (as cool as Evolution was) left a bad taste in my mouth.

But I do see your point. It was Dan who suggested it, though! Blame him! :headbang:

I can't even come up with a list because there's too many damn good songs, but I think the idea of remastering ALL of Crimson 1 would be fucking fantastic. Also to RERECORD a Cryptic track with Dan doing vocals is something that should be highly considered!

Will try to make one later.