My essay on Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

indeed, pretty impressive for someone your age :)

I know a lot of German people, most of them have very basic English skills, but about 90% of them wouldn't be able to produce an English text at this level. Props to you :)

all is dubbed in most european countries. germany, france, spain, italy....

in the netherlands we got subtitles. i like it much better. BA Baracus doesn't sound half as cool when he speaks german (you know when it's 3 at night and there is nothing to watch but A-Team on RTL Germany haha)

of course NL has a tradition of being extravert people... always trading and stuff, we have a tradition of learning foreign languages. but i think subtitles are a good reason the average dutch speaks english much better than someone from germany or italy.

When you got subtitles it allows you to learn spoken English easily...and connect it to the translation then after a while don't need the subtitles anymore.
I came to Israel when I was 7 (that explains why I speak russian)and got addicted to TV.watched just about anything there was...developed both my English and fast reading in Hebrew pretty early.
Dubbing destoys the audio and the fine nuances of the english language.
Tv taught me so many wonderful expressions that I will never learn in any school.

almost forgot my point
That assay is pretty good for someone who has tv and movies dubbed to german.
so Hurray to you!

AnTz0r said:
all is dubbed in most european countries. germany, france, spain, italy....

in the netherlands we got subtitles. i like it much better. BA Baracus doesn't sound half as cool when he speaks german (you know when it's 3 at night and there is nothing to watch but A-Team on RTL Germany haha)

of course NL has a tradition of being extravert people... always trading and stuff, we have a tradition of learning foreign languages. but i think subtitles are a good reason the average dutch speaks english much better than someone from germany or italy.
Dubbing is not done in any of the northern european countries (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark), except for childrens movies/shows, since 3-year olds might have a problem following the subtitles. ;) But then again, most movies that are aimed both to children and adults are released in two versions: a dubbed one and a subbed one.

There's one country (I think it's Poland) that has one single guy doing the dubbing for all the characters in the movie. Annoyed the hell out of me when trying to watch a movie (that was the only channel on the hotel TV that showed anything remotely interesting at the moment). I couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes until I decided to turn off the darn TV and go have a beer instead. :D

scandinavia rules, because there is no dubbing...
but the most terrible thing I've heard, was when they made a test on dubbing "the bold and the beautiful" to finnish...
i was about to die... (in laughter)

Stilgar said:
There's one country (I think it's Poland) that has one single guy doing the dubbing for all the characters in the movie.

That's deffinetly Russia...I remeber before the DVD age when my parent went to a russian video library and rented movies for the weekend.
when I saw Independence day(with Will Smith) and then later the first Matrix movie all dubbed by the same russian guy with an aweful nosey voice(kind of like Liam Galagher)...I was traumatized+I didn't understand half the stuff.

When they dub here,they dub only animation films and kiddy movies(like spy kids)and a pretty god job.but even then they release it in a subtitled version

another cool thing...about two years ago I visited my 12y/o niece and she was addicted to all those kiddy soap operas like chikititas and rebelde and floreciente and what not...at some point I heard her jabbering in spanish and logical sentences with correct verb conjugations and moreover she understood exactly what she was saying...I was like :OMG:.that was really cool.

Rofl i think i know the guy who you speak of, that dubber/translator.

And on the topic, that's an amazing and impressive story.