Potential headliners for the future?

Genre classifications will always be subjective. Regardless, such classifications are typically pointless and often debatable. That said, it seems people are too quick to lump anything with harsh vocals in with Death Metal. Deicide is Death Metal. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone under the age of 60 who would listen to Deicide and Opeth and walk away thinking they should be classified in the same genre.

It's as valid a source as say...someone's personal opinion. Maybe moreso in fact.
I love Wikipedia. However, Opeth's genre classification in Wikipedia is the result of a single fan's opinion (who entered and/or edited the Opeth entry) and carries no real weight.

Zod

I was always under the impression that Opeth was Progressive Death Metal, which is a metal subgenre.

But people like to argue over crap like that. It seems pretty nitpicky to me, and when you get into subgenres, things get sticky anyway.

I would take Borknagar and I think they would actually be a great fit, even though I am dissappointed about Asgeir no longer drumming for them, but I would rather see Vintersorg doing solo material live than Borknagar, but I would want Vintersorg with Asgeir and Digiorgio.

To me, a band can be completely progressive but be all growly vocals. If dragonforce and other "power" metal bands have blast beats in their music, which took their origins in death and black metal(well, I guess you could also say punk, but not to the extreme), than couldn't a band that uses half growly vocals and only a couple blast beats in their whole entire catalogue, be considered more prog than death. So, I consider Opeth more progressive than death, but isn't the definition of progressive, pushing the limits of music and doing something different, and to me, that has Opeth written all over it. Odd time signature, crazy guitar solos, high soaring vocals, to me isn't what defines a band progressive, even though I love all that stuff, but like I said, pushing the limits, and I think Opeth, Diabolical Masqeurade(mainly in Death's Design), Devin Townsend, Vintersorg, and many others push music in new directions and are unique, and that is what makes music progressive. I don't even consider Symphony X progressive anymore, just damnd good metal music at the top of the whole metal game.

Steven Wilson doing Porcupine Tree, Blackfield and NO Man Music
Jeff SCott Soto doing any number of selections from Takara, Axel Rudi Pell, Human CLay or his solo material.
DC Cooper doing his solo material, Royal Hunt, Silent Force or Steel Seal

TURISAS
BATTLELORE
EDENBRIDGE
LABYRINTH
HELSTAR
I find this to be an excellent list of suggested bands that I seemed to neglect from my own list. I'd love to see both Edenbridge and Battlelore in the states someday. (As far as I know neither had ever player here.) And I love HELSTAR ... James Rivera's got a great voice! :headbang:
:lol::lol::lol:

Oh shit, you weren't joking were you o_O
Perhaps I just missed your sarcasm or something, but can you please explain to me why you feel all or a certain number of these bands are not qualified?

I can understand not liking every one of them, but given the limited number of reasonable headliners that have not yet played the festival, I think these are some very good suggestion, especially considering you have to figure they wouldn't be headlining until 2010 at least. No matter how we look at any of the suggestions on this thread, there's still about 2 years between now and the fest they'd be playing, so really we are all taking a shot in the dark since anything can happen in that long a period of time. Why not say that some great up-and-coming metal acts that are starting to draw more attention to themselves and have 5+ albums also have a shot at headlining PP?

I find this to be an excellent list of suggested bands that I seemed to neglect from my own list. I'd love to see both Edenbridge and Battlelore in the states someday. (As far as I know neither had ever player here.) And I love HELSTAR ... James Rivera's got a great voice! :headbang:

Perhaps I just missed your sarcasm or something, but can you please explain to me why you feel all or a certain number of these bands are not qualified?

I can understand not liking every one of them, but given the limited number of reasonable headliners that have not yet played the festival, I think these are some very good suggestion, especially considering you have to figure they wouldn't be headlining until 2010 at least. No matter how we look at any of the suggestions on this thread, there's still about 2 years between now and the fest they'd be playing, so really we are all taking a shot in the dark since anything can happen in that long a period of time. Why not say that some great up-and-coming metal acts that are starting to draw more attention to themselves and have 5+ albums also have a shot at headlining PP?

It's simple. As far as that list, Edenbridge, Helstar and Battlelore are NOT headliner caliber, period. It's common sense. Helstar has been around since 1982, and if 26 years later they're not ProgPower headliner caliber, I doubt they'll ever be. Battlelore would be a cool opener, and Edenbridge a nice band to see live too. Headliners? I highly doubt they'll ever reach that spot.

I saw watchtower back when they played with Dream Theater on their texas dates a few years back, and they were great, but I don't wish to see them again unless they finally release some new material.

It's simple. As far as that list, Edenbridge, Helstar and Battlelore are NOT headliner caliber, period. It's common sense. Helstar has been around since 1982, and if 26 years later they're not ProgPower headliner caliber, I doubt they'll ever be. Battlelore would be a cool opener, and Edenbridge a nice band to see live too. Headliners? I highly doubt they'll ever reach that spot.
I keep seeing these bands mentioned over and over and I don't think it's from the same 3 people. Maybe not Turisas, but I feel like each of those other bands has been mentioned as a suggested headliner many times in the past. Either way, people obviously like these bands.

From the looks of the posts on this thread, PP can make a shift to putting more "mainstream-esque" bands on the roster in the headliner position - ala Opeth or COB - or Glenn can shift somewhat in the opposite direction and go for bands with larger catalogs, well received albums with good quality songs and those who have not touched the states or who have been here a limited number of times.

Regardless of what we all suggest here, Glenn continue to do what he has done in the past, drawing from all areas of Prog and Power metal (no matter how seemingly remote sometimes) with bands that could be argued for to fall into a number of spots on the roster, depending on what you are a fan of. Bands with 5 albums have opened (Manticora), bands with 5 albums have headlined (Sonata Arctica), bands with 10+ albums have played lower level spots (Virgin Steele), and bands that have played mostly covers have headlined (Jorn and in a sense JOP). But somehow as soon as Glenn announces a band, most of those who previously claimed that band "was not headliner/mid-level/opener/whatever caliber" are singing their praises by showtime.

I mean with the kind of expectations that folks on this board seem to have for headliners, eventually the well is going to run dry according these standards. Either that or we're all just going to be watching Everygrey and Symphony X headline for the 15th time. :erk: That may be fine for some, but I'm sure Glenn also strives to keep things fresh.

Maybe all the bands 7th Saviour listed aren't perfect headliner caliber (yet) by everyone's standards, but I love how folks on this forum always seem to want proof or a source, but when I pose a question about why certain bands aren't "good enough" I get a "just 'cause" type answer for every band except Helstar. Helstar, I admit, you have a valid point about, but I've also seen bands see horrible attendance for regular US shows or tours, but then receive a phenomenal welcome at PP (JOP). I would also like to mention that not being as familiar with Turisas (although I do like their music) I checked their website quickly to check a few facts and saw about 6 or 7 albums listed in their discography, but later realized that 3 or 4 of those are singles. With that in mind, I can certainly see why they wouldn't be a suitable headliner, but I could certainly see them going over well at PP in another roster spot.

No matter what any of us guesses on this thread, it's still that ... just a guess. That is unless any of you has somehow managed to achieve a mind-meld with Glenn.

That's because quality of music alone doesn't dictate a band's ability to headline. I love Kiuas, Hibria, and Pharaoh. They are some of the best bands this genre has ever seen. Am I dumb enough to think they can headline? Hell no. Maybe in 4-5 years time when they've proven themselves as a draw, but until then, they can't. A headliner's job is to sell. Bands who make good music but don't sell aren't headliners, end of story.

Take fates warning for example, great headliner, good catalogue and so forth, more cds than Brainstorm, who of course has their fair share, but who would you rather watch a longer set from? I would rather see Brainstorm kick my ass for 2 hours straight without letting up than be bored to tears by Fates Warning, at least I was when I saw them and let's say when I did see them I wanted to see them more than anyone at the time, but they let me down(a big part of that was the absence of Zonder and have never been a fan of D'virgillio or however you spell it). But, the only way I know this is by seeing the bands, and when trying to book bands you have never experienced in person, that does make it hard to see how much they will kick your ass or bore you. I love Brainstorm, and liked them before I saw them, but was never their biggest fan, but they are one of those bands that just kicks your ass and makes you a huge fan and makes you go back and listen to every song they have ever created, but Fates Warning, haven't listened to much of them since I saw them live(except inside out and parallels, because those 2 cds have always been favs of mine). Then you have bands like ARK, and I would want them to headline only based on burn the sun, which is one of my top 3 cds of all time. Symphony X, wouldn't want to see them again unless they busted out damnation game and divine wings material and don't play the odyssey, which is an amazing song, but just don't want to hear it live again. Then you have bands like Pain of Salvation and Nevermore, 2 bands I could watch play every night and never get tired of them.