Potential headliners for the future?

I think Anathema would be a great addition to the fest going forward. Rhapsody has also been thrown around... I don't love them, but I have to give them credit. They put on a great show when they cam around with Manowar a few years ago.

Not sure if they'd be headliner material in Glenn's book, but I would have to list the following:

Spock's Beard - Saw them with DT and they blew my freaking mind
Queensryche - with Pamela Moore of course (The Man finally got Fates, what more need be said? :) )
Pretty Maids - saw them on the list, second them fo sho
Redemption - as long as they keep delivering the goods as they have been
ARK - :worship:
Doro

What would really be mind blowing, and should be filed under "Wishful Thinking":

A Tribute to Jason Becker - Think "All Star Jam" with as many guest musicians that have recorded his material as could be mustered.
Psychotic Waltz Reunion (I'm still willing to just about sell my soul if I could help make this happen, hehe)

Never heard of those bands at all.

Headliners or just for the festival? I must be living under a rock. :zombie:
I must have somehow crawled under there with you. I don't know them either.

Unfortunately, it seems too many bands that would make great headliners have been priced out of this festival. I love Porcupine Tree, but I fear they, like Opeth, would be too expensive. Children of Bodom has toured so much here, I don't think they fit Progpower's usual MO of giving us the chance to see bands we get the opportunity to see often. They'd probably be expensive too.

Hadn't thought of Doro, but I think she's be a great headliner! Don't know if she'd fit the budget.

I'd, of course, LOVE to see Vanden Plas headline. I think they've reached the level. Still not sure of their abililty to return.

I'd like to see King Diamond headline with a full show. Musically, you couldn't lose. Theatrically, it would rule. Vocally, you'd probably lose some people.

The real black sheep would be for someone with some serious connections to convince Metallica to headline for charity only ;-)

Of course that's just an opinion...the fact that they sit atop the progressive metal genre says otherwise. Get your head out of the sand.

Since you love album sales so much.

Guess what? Opeth currently sits on top of the progressive metal genre. Or perhaps Tool does.

Get your head out of your ass.

Not sure if they'd be headliner material in Glenn's book, but I would have to list the following:

Doro
They would have been on my list, but I have been told by many on this board that Doro is not a legitimate headliner for PP (although I'm not certain I remember hearing Glenn's stance on the issue).

I personally think some sort of Warlock reunion show might perhaps make it more legit in some folks eyes, but I'm not sure if that would be enough to appease the vocal majority. To be brutally honest, as much as I love the woman, her band, her music, and her ability as a performer, if Doro on her own could not sell-out the first FotV festival, then there is no reason for me to believe that she on her own (without Warlock) contributes anything that Glenn would find in a worthy headliner. It would be a matter of his fans coming to her table instead of the other way around. Of course she has a great catalog and (as a die-hard fan) it would be nice to hear songs that never seem to get played on her typical tours here (... not to mention the possibility for guest performances). I'm not sure what her album sales are like over here. Their tours seem to do well overseas, but not so much in the US from what I've heard. As much as I would love this, I just don't see it happening.

Do I think Doro could adequately fill a Level 3 or 4 spot at PP without being out of the festival's budget? Absolutely. With half the band already living here in the US it wouldn't be impossible ... especially if they played the same year as Kamelot, then Oliver could just play with a different band each night. :lol: Or get Chris Caffery to play that year too since they've also share some band members. :headbang:

What gives anyone the impression that Whitesnake would even fit this festival? Granted, I'm a huge fan, but I don't think they fit what this festival is about. I just wanted to throw that in there...proceed.

~Brian~

I think Jorn gave us enough Whitesnake to last the festival for years (if not forever). They're a great band, but even seeing a renowned metal singer like Jorn cover like 20 of theirs songs left me screaming "why is this at ProgPower?!?!" I can't imagine how out of place the real thing would feel.

some other names that kinda popped into my head after thinking about this..particularly due to the fact they are well-known and DON'T TOUR the States (yet)

Pure Reason Revolution they were to play at ProgPower Europe afterall, and only have played a couple of shows on the East Coast + Nearfest in the past few years in the States.
Oceansize - hey..if you get Riverside to come, these guys have just as big a following if not bigger..they just did a special 3-nights/1-full album per night showcase in Manchester, UK ..But haven't toured the States since (and the only time) 2004 when they opened for some defunct punk band. There's a lot of fans in North America who are fans who've never seen them live. Reasons I imagine are finances mostly.
These are a couple of cool bands but I don't think they are no where near headliner Progpower status..

CoB are still, to my knowledge, the only all-growly band that Glenn has ever seriously considered for PPUSA. (Like around PPUSA II or III, I think, before CoB had toured much here.)

One has to wonder how Alexi would have responded if they were ever asked to play, since in many interviews when asked about their genre, he's said something along the lines of "You know, if somebody says we’re black metal or they say that we’re thrash metal, I’m ok with it. I don’t really care as long as they don’t call it power metal."

Since you love album sales so much.

Guess what? Opeth currently sits on top of the progressive metal genre. Or perhaps Tool does.

I never said anything about album sales. However, the latest DT tour had Opeth beneath them on the bill. If Opeth is such a draw, why were they not headlining? Alot can be discerned from that situation alone.

IMO...Opeth=death metal...Tool=alternative. Just because they may have some slight progressive tendencies does not necessarily root them in the genre. DT has some power metal tendencies but I don't think that qualifies them to be a power metal band.

Cheiron said:
Get your head out of your ass.

Just as soon as you get your buddy's penis out of yours.

I tried to keep it clean...but you went there, so...;)

Harsh vocals do not make a band death metal. End of story. Opeth has very, very little music that goes towards death metal at all. Please learn genre categorization properly before you go off spouting uninformed bullshit.

IMO...Opeth=death metal...Tool=alternative. Just because they may have some slight progressive tendencies does not necessarily root them in the genre.

Opeth is so NOT death metal. They use some harsh vocals to accent the heavier measures of their songs, but they have some of the sweetest clean vocals around. Have you ever gotten past the first minute of "Ghosts of Perdition"? Yea, it starts out with harsh vocals, but mid way through there is a beautiful passage with harmonized clean vocals. That song is totally progressive, and so is the rest of their catalog.