Potential headliners for the future?

I don't want a geezer fest to ensue if the likes of Lizzy Borden, UDO, Whitesnake, Jeff Scott Soto, Asia, or Accept are considered as potential headliners for ProgPower. Rocklahoma maybe, but not ProgPower.

Same with Opeth. Surprised there's not more love for them here.They're just awesome.

Totally agreed. Saw 'em last night here -- at Center Stage, finally! -- and was extremely pleased. But, keep reading....

AMBR: I put Opeth on the 'now too expensive' list.

Good choice of words, there.

Glenn did try to get Opeth for ProgPower USA III, with myself and Jim Raggi sponsoring. At the time, they had only performed in the United States, once...their now-infamous performance at Milwaukee MetalFest.

Alas, "while the band was willing, the bean-counters were weak"....in other words, the band agreed to play, but their booking agent waited several months and then doubled the price, at which time Glenn sadly (but wisely) demurred.

Jim and I had to "settle" for Devin Townsend Band that year instead, which to us was like settling for an equally awesome grade of caviar. (His Biomech CD remains my favorite CD of all time, to this day.)

After last night's show, I was talking to Mikael A. from Opeth about the venue (which met with his approval, not surprisingly) and its history of hosting ProgPower USA. He really seemed apologetic -- and wistful -- when I mentioned ProgPower III and Opeth's almost-booking that year.

As far as future headliners.....

Too expensive barring major sponsor support:

• Ayreon
  • Therion
  • (probably) Star One
  • (probably) Avantasia

Maybe.....

• Blind Guardian (if still active; haven't heard much from them lately, haven't toured here in a while)
  • Demons and Wizards

...and a FEW possibilities above. But let's face it, many of the bands are nowhere NEAR headliner material.

I'd still love to see Tarot in a lower slot, though. :kickass:

I don't want a geezer fest to ensue if the likes of Lizzy Borden, UDO, Whitesnake, Jeff Scott Soto, Asia, or Accept are considered as potential headliners for ProgPower.

I agree. I can see the attraction in occasionally bringing an older band in, but to me, PP is about modern power and prog metal. And when the fest does go for older acts, like Fates Warning or Savatage, they should be fathers of power or prog metal, not fathers of NWOBHM, glam rock, or just plain heavy metal.

Tons of options:

Anathema
Porcupine Tree or any Steven Wilson side-project (i.e. Blackfield).
Any Dream Theater side-project (i.e. OSI, LTE, Platypus, Rudess/Morgenstein)
Opeth (any time, any place - freakin' love this band)
Derek Sherinian (just for the guest musicians alone - ZW, Sheehan)

Even a Mike Portnoy drum clinic would thrill me!

probably not well known enough to headline at this point..but I would come to see Norway's IN VAIN perform no matter the rest of the bill. THE LATTER RAIN is such a fantastic record..and such a BIG sounding album..it reminds me of Angra's HOLY LAND in some ways.

I might say the same about Sweden's BURST..but I wonder, unlike In Vain, if they will actually make it over to the States to do a tour to support LAZARUS BIRD.

Incidentally, this thread really underscores how tricky Glenn's task has become. As he's mentioned before, he's a victim of his own success, since so many of the A-list bands in the prog- and power-metal genres have either already performed at ProgPower USA, or have toured here since PPUSA's inception.

hah, I still don't like Rhapsody much...but they are undeniably a headliner.

Agreed.

They got some good reviews here on that tour with Manowar, too. (Basically, that they were tighter and better than people here were expecting.)

Nocturnal Rites and Within Temptation are probably headliner material.

Also agreed, but....

Within Temptation should be on that list too. They'd probably want the whole budget...

...maybe not the whole budget, but perhaps too much of it.

SYMPHONY X
THERION

oh, yes.

CHILDREN OF BODOM

CoB are still, to my knowledge, the only all-growly band that Glenn has ever seriously considered for PPUSA. (Like around PPUSA II or III, I think, before CoB had toured much here.)

PORCUPINE TREE

I love this band....but they wouldn't please the raving power-metal masses (who also didn't dig Riverside) and besides, they've already toured the States more than twice. Considering the fact that they've sold out the Roxy here, they really don't need to play PP either.

Time for them to move up to Center Stage here, though, on their next tour. :)

some other names that kinda popped into my head after thinking about this..particularly due to the fact they are well-known and DON'T TOUR the States (yet)

Pure Reason Revolution they were to play at ProgPower Europe afterall, and only have played a couple of shows on the East Coast + Nearfest in the past few years in the States.
Oceansize - hey..if you get Riverside to come, these guys have just as big a following if not bigger..they just did a special 3-nights/1-full album per night showcase in Manchester, UK ..But haven't toured the States since (and the only time) 2004 when they opened for some defunct punk band. There's a lot of fans in North America who are fans who've never seen them live. Reasons I imagine are finances mostly.
Demians..have become popular in the prog and prog-metal scene this year, and also have never played the States, altho Nic Chapel believes 2009 that could happen.
Mutyumu..they have hints of prog and metal..but being from Japan, who knows if/when they'll ever make it over here to tour. I've been blown away by them the past few weeks. Absolutely stunning modern classical/opera/jazz/post-rock/hardcore

some other names that kinda popped into my head after thinking about this..particularly due to the fact they are well-known and DON'T TOUR the States (yet)

Pure Reason Revolution they were to play at ProgPower Europe afterall, and only have played a couple of shows on the East Coast + Nearfest in the past few years in the States.
Oceansize - hey..if you get Riverside to come, these guys have just as big a following if not bigger..they just did a special 3-nights/1-full album per night showcase in Manchester, UK ..But haven't toured the States since (and the only time) 2004 when they opened for some defunct punk band. There's a lot of fans in North America who are fans who've never seen them live. Reasons I imagine are finances mostly.

Both amazing bands!! I caught Pure Reason Revolution both at Nearfest and in NYC. Believe it or not, there must have been about 5 people at the NYC show. They played with a bunch of local bands, at this pathetic little bar downtown. It was sad, but cool. Sound was horrible.

At Nearfest, however, they were able to put on their full show, perfect sound and an amazing setlist! Definitely a treat!

I think they would do well among the prog crowd at ProgPower, but Power fans would most likely hate them. :lol:

I really think CLAUS'S JUG BAND is headliner material, i mean come on guys and gals, the skullet rules.