Potential headliners for the future?

Yeah. Saying Opeth only has "slight progressive tendencies" is a HUGE understatement. It'd probably be more correct to say they have slight death metal tendencies. They're definitely quite the Progressive band.

Since you love album sales so much.

Guess what? Opeth currently sits on top of the progressive metal genre. Or perhaps Tool does.

Get your head out of your ass.

Actually Tool would be offended to classified as metal. In one interview Maynard said that metal is for pirates and we are certainly not pirates.

Do I think Doro could adequately fill a Level 3 or 4 spot at PP without being out of the festival's budget? Absolutely. With half the band already living here in the US it wouldn't be impossible ... especially if they played the same year as Kamelot, then Oliver could just play with a different band each night. :lol: Or get Chris Caffery to play that year too since they've also share some band members. :headbang:

Absolutely agree - The suggestion stems from having had at least one female fronted act involved in the fest. imho, She would probably be the most copious female fronted act that hasn't been on the PP stage other than Heart or Lana Lane, who wouldn't necessarily fit (but who I would personally love to see). Warlock reunion would be pretty friggin' cool, especially with the musicians you mentioned. Not sure if that music falls into the Prog or Power category enough, though. I hear them, and Doro actually, as more straight up Metal.

Man, I wouldn't want to be in Mr. Harveston's shoes in this regard. :)

This thread has officially degenerated, as per the requirements in the Progressive Music Discussion Manual. :)

Just as any long-term discussion of prog-rock is doomed to degenerate into arguing the various incarnations of Yes and which was the best lineup, any long-term discussion of progressive metal will degenerate into invoking Dream Theater and "which album is the best." :lol:

One has to wonder how Alexi would have responded if they were ever asked to play, since in many interviews when asked about their genre, he's said something along the lines of "You know, if somebody says we’re black metal or they say that we’re thrash metal, I’m ok with it. I don’t really care as long as they don’t call it power metal."

Fine. Book 'em for the Showcase. :heh:

I never said anything about album sales. However, the latest DT tour had Opeth beneath them on the bill. If Opeth is such a draw, why were they not headlining? Alot can be discerned from that situation alone.

Yep. We can discern that Dream Theater was more responsible for assembling the tour.

The crowd was pretty much 50/50 on the two headliners on that bill, at least here.

IMO...Opeth=death metal...Tool=alternative. Just because they may have some slight progressive tendencies does not necessarily root them in the genre. DT has some power metal tendencies but I don't think that qualifies them to be a power metal band.

LOL.

Listen to Opeth's "Deliverance" and then tell me it isn't an epic, progressive piece. Before they played it here, Mikael A. called it a masterpiece. He isn't known for having an ego about their stuff, and I sure won't argue with him over "Deliverance." :kickass:

Actually Tool would be offended to classified as metal. In one interview Maynard said that metal is for pirates and we are certainly not pirates.

Arrr, This wench be thinkin' 'bout donnin' a software pirate costume for All Hallow's Eve, matey.
pirate-smiley100x90.jpg

Ok, end Pirate Mode and back to the topic at hand. hehe

Opeth is so NOT death metal.

Yeah. Saying Opeth only has "slight progressive tendencies" is a HUGE understatement. It'd probably be more correct to say they have slight death metal tendencies.

allmusic.com said:
Biographyby Mike DaRoncoBrought together in Stockholm by guitarists Peter Lindgren and Mikael Åkerfeldt in 1990, Opeth added progressive influences and acoustic instrumentation to their brand of Swedish death metal.

Wikipedia said:
Opeth is a Swedish heavy metal band that formed in 1990 in Stockholm. While the band has been through several personnel changes, singer, guitarist, and songwriter Mikael Åkerfeldt has remained Opeth's driving force since joining shortly after its inception.
While firmly rooted in Scandinavian death metal, Opeth has consistently incorporated influence by progressive music, folk, blues rock and jazz into their usually lengthy songs.

According to the logic you are trying to apply...the argument could be made that they are a folk band...or even a jazz band. :rolleyes: But, those would be wrong also.

dcowboys311 said:
Opeth has very, very little music that goes towards death metal at all. Please learn genre categorization properly before you go off spouting uninformed bullshit.

Could be that you're the uneducated one that's full of shit. Some people's chilluns...:rolleyes:

My picks aren't based on record sales, but based on bands I would want to see based on their amount of good material, not based on how the material sold or how much material they have, but solely on good material, so 2 perfect cds could mean a headline position.

Nevermore
Opeth
Sylosis(their newest cd has some amazing moments and I would rather see them than Bodom anyday)
Vintersorg
Nocturnal Rites
Between the Buried and Me
Trivium
Bloodbath
Soilwork

I know a lot of my picks have agressive vocals, but everybody's definition of progressive and power is different, and to me all of these bands are powerful and have some if not a lot of progressive elements, and they all just slay with tons of amazing songs that just make you get lost in their music, and I know I will get crap for Trivium, but I think their new cd slays and have also liked most of their 2 previous cds as well.

My picks aren't based on record sales, but based on bands I would want to see based on their amount of good material, not based on how the material sold or how much material they have, but solely on good material, so 2 perfect cds could mean a headline position.

Nevermore
Opeth
Sylosis(their newest cd has some amazing moments and I would rather see them than Bodom anyday)
Vintersorg
Nocturnal Rites
Between the Buried and Me
Trivium
Bloodbath
Soilwork

I know a lot of my picks have agressive vocals, but everybody's definition of progressive and power is different, and to me all of these bands are powerful and have some if not a lot of progressive elements, and they all just slay with tons of amazing songs that just make you get lost in their music, and I know I will get crap for Trivium, but I think their new cd slays and have also liked most of their 2 previous cds as well.

How about Borknagar?

I would like to see these bands headline the fest in the future...

Watchtower

James Labrie (with the lineup on his last cd, I believe he did shows with that lineup too?)

Nevermore

instead of complaining about what genre gaypeth is, spend that time finding good bands :)

seconding on watchtower...prog thrash innovators and the bes to do it as well..

This is coming from someone who's using Wikipedia for a legitimate resource in a genre debate.

LOL. Beat me to it.

And as for Wikipedia being better than someone's personal opinion......uh, it -is- someone's personal opinion. :lol:

AllMusic isn't much better.

How about Borknagar?

Looong overdue for the States, but not at PP. (I used to list them as a potential sponsoree every year, but Glenn knows my tastes quite well by now, so they're kinda there by osmosis.)

Oh, but you were asking Rushzil. Somehow, I think he's aware of the band. :)

Bloodbath at ProgPower? This thread is awesome.

Heh.

Call it a dinner break.
For many.
Probably most.
I'll eat after the night is over, though. :kickass:

It's as valid a source as say...someone's personal opinion. Maybe moreso in fact. I don't see you offering any legitimacy to anything...just personal opinion...which is worth something, but only to you of course.

Here's the catch: genres aren't a matter of opinion. If that were the case, it would be 100% valid for me to call Led Zeppelin trip-hop, At the Gates noise rock, and Britney Spears death metal. They're a defined set of criterion used to separate different sounds of music. Opeth doesn't have any qualities of death metal at all, aside from the vocals.