Potter's field

TheLaw

New Metal Member
Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
could someone please explain the meaning of "potter's field" to me? i mean what is it?

"you shoulda let me rest in potter's field"

is it a place? a euphemism?
help! :confused:

Well it goes a something like this potters field is a graveyard for all the deadborns and babyies with serious deformities and its a story bout a kid who the mother chose not chose not to perish and he grew up to be a real fucked up person (thats the basics of the story)hope ive explained it enough for ya!!
no1 aussie anthrax fan

Reactions: timmyc
Do a search for Potter's Field Cemetary on any search engine and you can find all kinds of articles about it. It was a cemetary that the state of New York established a long time ago for bums, homeless people, deranged and mentally ill people. The state actually moved (dug up the graves) the cemetary two or three times before settling it on an island near New York City.

By the way....Charlie's drumming in PottersField is unbelievable....

Originally posted by mrthrax
Well it goes a something like this potters field is a graveyard for all the deadborns and babyies with serious deformities and its a story bout a kid who the mother chose not chose not to perish and he grew up to be a real fucked up person (thats the basics of the story)hope ive explained it enough for ya!!
no1 aussie anthrax fan

That is %100 true, great story behind that song. I also recently say "Don't say a word", it was pretty good.

Cheerz!

Originally posted by Armored Thrax

By the way....Charlie's drumming in PottersField is unbelievable....

Wow, you must be musically sheltered, don't get me wrong I love Anthrax and that song but the drumming isn't frigging incredible.

Another angle (which I think is alluded to in the song)...

Judas, feeling guilty about his betrayal, returned the thirty pieces of silver to the priests. Not knowing what to do with the money (because they felt it was "blood money"), they bought the "potter's field" and it was used to bury strangers and foreigners. The field was also called the "Field of Blood".

Potter's fields are commonly known as places where they bury the poor, the insane, the unwanted or the unknown.

All this information is just off the top of my head, so some of may be inacurate, but I think the gist is right.

j

You are correct, Potters Field is called that because any cemetary that recieves the Homeless, Insane or anyone else is called a Potter's Field, that Feield was called Potter's Field, and this is from the top of my head too, because pottery was made in the field, Judas later hung himself or was stoned to death, depending on which historian you believe.

"Then Judas, which had betrayed Him, saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests . . . and they took counsel, and brought with them the potters' field to bury strangers in."

Jockthrax 3:16

AJ is a weiner..........just my opinion.

By the way I promise you I am not musically sheltered. I am into metal, country, progressive jazz, blues and classical music. I have been playing the drums since I was 15, I am now 32. I have played piano for 13 years and was enrolled in the music engineering program at the University of Miami for 2 years. To get into this program I had to hold a recital in front of 12 faculty members on the drums, piano and xylaphone. I have played drums in metal and country bands that have opened for national acts. Damn, its a good thing I've led a sheltered musical life. And in closing......Charlie's drumming in Potter's Field is unbelievable....especially the fill where he is moving back and forth between his feet and toms right after the line " Fascination, Stimulation, Stronger as I learn....By his hand, I understand I was told to Burn......" (FILL) Good shit........in my humble, sheltered, knowledgeable opinion.

I agree with ArmordThrax, I also believe that Charlie's drumming on Potter's Field was a moving experience. The man is incredible, now, granted, maybe it wasn't the fastest he's done, or the most, but, for that song, it was incredible.

I really like the fill on the toms before the bridge part, it sounds so natural, almost like an overdub.

At least that's what i think.

How is your cow?

I know drumming, I am not a drummer but I have been playing for 5 years, I am a guitarist of which I have been playing for 10 years, I know good drumming when I here it, He is a good drummer but not the best, and his drumming on that song is not unbelievable, it is quite simple, listen to anything Richard Christy, Sean Reinert, Pete Sandoval, Flo Mounier, Dave Lombardo, and many other drummers that completely obliteraie Charlie in the drumming department, I love Anthrax but just because they are your favorite band doesn't mean that they are the best musicians.

I never said that they are the best musicians, don't look too deep into my statement.

IMO, I will contiue to think that Potter's field (with all it's parts: drums, guitar, bass, vocal,) is an incredible song.

So what if Charlie isn't the best? he's a hella lot better than me! Your mentors and idols don't have to always be the greatest.

think about it, and how's your cow doing?