Poutine ?

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
Yo. Was just reading about some McDonald facts on their Canadian website and they says that poutine is only offered in Quebec (where it's from). I cannot believe it, this is 2014...

Is the word POUTINE alien to you ?
Have you ever had one ?

Basically, it's just french fries with cheese curds on top and some hot-chicken gravy..

So?

Tried to find an image in the net but they make it look gross.. but it's not ;)

It's amazing but after a touring canada for a few weeks and having shoved in your face every day it gets sickening.

The only reason I actually know about the food was because of Glenn Fricker when he posted. It wasn't until much later that I saw a vidoes where a little kid mentions Poutine and I looked it up and as soon as I saw pictures knew what it was.

To this day I have never had it, it is something that Americans even close to Quebec have no clue of. I am actually curious now if even people in Toronto or Vancouver know WTF it is ahaha.

I may need to get some ingredients to make some, it looks so good. Anyone have any good recipes?

well I posted the precipe man hahah.. french fries + cheese curds on top then you pour some hot-chicken or BBQ sauce over it. If you wanna get fancy you can chop some hot-dog wieners and add some bacon. I love it with red onions.

But I think the problem for you guys (USA) is to find the cheese curds. Am I right if I say that it's non existent (if not prohibited?) in most parts of the USA ?

For the rest of Canada, I honestly thought it was wide spread already, but as I said, I was checking that McDonald website where people ask questions about the food and McDonald replied that it was only offered in Quebec (and all that time I thought it was offered worldwide).

No poutine here and besides the few canadian guys here I am probably the only one who knows it because I am a fucking
hipster when it comes to food :D

Vladimir-Putin_4.jpg

Yeah, must be one of these country specific things.

Like Scotland is the only country where you'll always have a choice of Irn Bru instead of Coke. For the uninitiated:

5235706_Irn%2520bru%2520bottles%2520Barrs%2520bottling%2520factory%25202004%2520Barr-1776687.jpg

Also we get 'cheesy chips' and gravy here but I dunno if thats quite the same thing because the cheese isn't in curds but grated instead.

Yeah, chips are basically the UK term for french fries - only usually slightly larger.

Chips as in the stuff you get in foil packets are crisps in the UK, just to be confusing.

well I posted the precipe man hahah.. french fries + cheese curds on top then you pour some hot-chicken or BBQ sauce over it. If you wanna get fancy you can chop some hot-dog wieners and add some bacon. I love it with red onions.

But I think the problem for you guys (USA) is to find the cheese curds. Am I right if I say that it's non existent (if not prohibited?) in most parts of the USA ?

For the rest of Canada, I honestly thought it was wide spread already, but as I said, I was checking that McDonald website where people ask questions about the food and McDonald replied that it was only offered in Quebec (and all that time I thought it was offered worldwide).

We do have cheese curds, they are pretty popular out in Wisconsin and some of the midwestern states with large dairy industries. They are a mystery to most people on the east coast though.

Never had the real thing before, but a friend of mine from Montreal says it's "unreal".

Like Clockwork said...my local hipster bar has some "vegan" poutine, i tried it and it was really good, but im sure it's far from the real unhealthy thing (which will taste amazing i think)

Yeah, must be one of these country specific things.

Like Scotland is the only country where you'll always have a choice of Irn Bru instead of Coke. For the uninitiated:

5235706_Irn%2520bru%2520bottles%2520Barrs%2520bottling%2520factory%25202004%2520Barr-1776687.jpg

Also we get 'cheesy chips' and gravy here but I dunno if thats quite the same thing because the cheese isn't in curds but grated instead.

We get IRNBRU here in N.I only certain shops carry it though, not as common as in Scotland, we do have the cheesey chip with gravy and its awesome,

do scots get a "belfast pastie" nothing like a yorkshire pastie, closer to a battered burger, groundbeef and spuds deep fat fried, unreal

also the most delicious drink on the planet is only served in certain parts of the country, its called Football Special and its great

i <3 poutine.

IMG_0708.JPG

From Vera's Burger Shack in Vancouver. Basic poutine.

IMG_2717.jpg

From Mean Poutine in Vancouver. Green onions on it.

IMG_3312.jpg

From Smoke's in Vancouver. Pulled pork + bacon

Mean and Smoke's are both great but Mean is much cheaper.

Guys, I'm from Montreal and Poutine is a classic. You can get some pretty classy poutines with foie gras and super rare cheese, etc. But the best ones are from little snackbars. Souds dirty but once you taste it, you'll like it.