power attenuation/speaker sim samples?

noarin

Producer / Engineer
Apr 16, 2006
is there anybody here who can make (or already has) soundclips of a load box/thd hotplate/palmer pdi-03/palmder pdi-04 speaker simulator?

i've always wanted to know what to expect from those speaker simulators..

have any of you ever found it useful to decrease your amps output so you can crank it but not have it be as loud as it would normally? (power attenuation); doesn't that kinda remove the effect cranking your amp has on your speakers which makes them move and get that cabinet sound y´all want?

thanks in advance!

i bought a thd hotplate 8ohm so i could record my 5150 at night at low volume or zero volume and be able to apply impulses later and i too had been wondering what the 5150 would sound like attenuated.

after playing with it for a while its pretty disapointing though, i was expecting an awesome cranked high gain tone to come out of the cabinet but now i realize part of that awesome sound i remember has a lot do do with the cabinet pushing a lot of air and the natural distortion or whatever dynamics are affected by that. when playing with the attenuation very high it just sounds very thin/not as high gain as it seems with the attenuation off

i bought the thd hot plate 16 ohm for my 1x12' v30 cabinet and i really like it.
but there's no magic going on with all these boxes - you lose some highs the more you pull down the volume.
you won't get a crushing tone out of it with a volume as loud as your home stereo.
but to reduce the overall volume a bit and to get more gain out of the master out and as a protective tool for your smaller cab it works really nice.:)